Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:44 AM
Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
3,100 Posts
New Product
WM 1/4-scale Hall Cherokee II ARF

I just got my hands on the new quarter-scale Hall Cherokee II ARF kit from World Models, which I will be building for a good friend, and I decided to see what this new model is all about. I went through the kit contents this evening, and from what I can see, it is a nicely done prefab kit, that should make into a great scale sailplane for aerotowing or slope. I expect World Models will sell a lot of these things, to guys who want a scale woody but don't want to have to build one from plans or a parts kit.

My first acquaintance with the quarter-scale Hall Cherokee was over ten years ago, at the Mission aerotow up in British Columbia. I was friends with the designer, Dave Smith, having flown with him for several years in the local aerotow circuit, and he mentioned he was building a scratch-built original version of the Cherokee from his own plans, drawn up with Delta CAD on his home computer, using the full-scale homebuilt plans as a reference. I knew this glider would have special appeal, because of its uniqueness and compact size (I don't think anyone else had ever done the Cherokee, at least around these parts), so when Dave said he'd have it at the event, I determined I would take lots of pictures and do an article on it for Quiet Flyer magazine, which I was writing for at for at the time. My article appeared in the May 2004 issue, Vol 9-5, and the full-color pictures and text really caught the imagination of a lot of scratch builders, as the demand for the plans skyrocketed.

Eventually, the plans ended up in the magazine, and I began to notice that it wasn't long before renditions of this fine model started showing up at aerotow events across the nation. I finally got to fly one when Ted Hendrickson let me try his at the Yakima Aerotow event a few years later. I still remember how impressed I was with the nimble controls and delightful handling of this appealing little sailplane. Eventually, Tom Martin of TMRC Sailplanes began selling the design with a set of CAD-drawn plans and laser-cut parts as a partial kit. And now, after over ten years from that first maiden, here is an ARF version from World Models in China. This design has legs!!

Looks like it will be a very straightforward build, for those who have done woody ARFs before, with a few extra highlights to make it a standout. I highly recommend this new ARF kit to everyone!
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Last edited by dgliderguy; Mar 16, 2014 at 01:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Seadog
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
834 Posts
Quiet Flyer and the Cherokee

Don,

Not quite fair to WIl Byers and Quiet Flyer as he did indeed send me a check for the use of the plans. Maybe you and I missed that in our conversations...

DS
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
Old Mar 04, 2014, 08:38 AM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,100 Posts
Ah, that sounds right! Thanks, Dave... and a well deserved recognition for your topnotch work!
Last edited by dgliderguy; Mar 05, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Seadog
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2004
834 Posts
Maiden Flights - 2003

Here's the first time Don saw the Cherokee....

Cherokee Sailplane (4 min 4 sec)

DS
Seadog is offline Find More Posts by Seadog
Old Mar 04, 2014, 09:43 AM
Find More Posts by shinck
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
726 Posts
Just ordered this.
The kit-built model in the IMSF club, by Lee Chaplin, weighs 8lb 10 oz. It flies very well.

Scott
shinck is offline Find More Posts by shinck
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by Wil Byers
USA, WA, West Richland
Joined Dec 2001
69 Posts
Hall Cherokee

Glad to see that the Cherokee will make its review debut here before it makes to the RC Sport Flyer magazine. That is what friends are for in this RC world. Thanks Don!
Wil Byers is offline Find More Posts by Wil Byers
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:43 PM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,100 Posts
Hey, Wil! Can't wait for when your debut article on this one hits the streets in RC Sport Flyer magazine.

Am I excited? You bet I am! This model is exactly what the doctor ordered, for promoting aerotowing in this country and around the world. I have guys ask me all the time to recommend a simple, pre-built woody scale sailplane for them to get into aerotow with. For awhile there, the only thing I could point them to was the WM 3.4m Minimoa, which is an okay model, but not the best. The Seagull Ka8b and Pilatus were nice wood ARFs (though they copped a bad rep when the wings failed on several of them), and now they are no longer available.

This model looks like the perfect solution. It is easy to assemble, even for guys who don't build, it is strong (check out that wing joiner rod!), and it is scale accurate (hat tip to Dave Smith). Most of all, it is affordable, and makes for a great compact aerotow sailplane that can go up behind wimpy tugs and the big brutes. If it flies anything like the one I flew, everyone will love its handling characteristics and its ability to work light lift.

Every guy in this forum should find a way to thank World Models for coming out with this model. The most effective message is sales, so go buy one, and encourage your club mates to get one, too!

Looking forward to the construction and flight test article in a forthcoming issue of RCSF!

Don.
Last edited by dgliderguy; Mar 16, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by shinck
Utah, USA
Joined Jun 2007
726 Posts
A fellow flyer in Utah has one of these in his hands and is finishing up the equipment installation; he wrote to the company saying how much he enjoyed the quality of the built, the shipping container, and the price. As Don also says, this is a well built, easy to assemble glider. Hope mine was ordered soon enough!

Scott
shinck is offline Find More Posts by shinck
Old Mar 04, 2014, 02:39 PM
Find More Posts by Wil Byers
USA, WA, West Richland
Joined Dec 2001
69 Posts
Go For It Don

I think you are dead (you may be when I see you Don) on when it comes to WM Hall Cherokee being the perfect fit for beginner aerotow pilots. That is what we were trying to do with World Models and getting this glider out to the soaring community.

As everyone that knows me (especially you Don) understands, I LOVE flying gliders: slope, thermal, scale, and you name it. So, I'm pretty stoked about this glider too.

So I say, GO FOR IT! Finish this review and get it in front as many scale sailplane guys as possible. We're all praying that finally there will be a company (World Models) that will offer some large-scale "woodies" to the glider community in the very near future. I'm hoping this model will even show up in hobby shops from here to Timbuktu!

Conclusion
The World Models' Hall Cherokee gives me a serious woody!!! Who wants to get ahead of me in the aerotow line?
Wil Byers is offline Find More Posts by Wil Byers
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2014, 03:03 PM
Find More Posts by s2000
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
3,022 Posts
Maybe this model will be so successful that they do a LARGER version! I would like to have a 40% version, but would be happy with 1/3. But for now, it is very cool that this is available at a great price and it should fly very well. Glad to see that Dave did get some compensation for his efforts.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Last edited by s2000; Mar 04, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
Back in the early 70s I built a Cherokee RM ( full scale ) and I have several hundred hours of flying time in another RM , so when I saw this in the magazine a month or so back I just could not resist. We are very lucky here in Utah to have a good slope to get gliders like this trimmed out and ready for the aero tow season, and I am sure Scott and I will be sharing the same thermals all summer, best of luck to all you guys who buy this model , as others have said for the price I dont think you will be unhappy at all.

Dick Bean
Richard L Bean is offline Find More Posts by Richard L Bean
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by s2000
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
3,022 Posts
Don, I was wondering what kind of covering is on the model. Is it similar to Oracover? Or is it a fabric type?
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:27 AM
Where's the lift?
Joined Mar 2001
3,100 Posts
Dennis,

It's called "Toughlon", and it appears to be a plastic film covering like Oracover, but with a fabric texture on the adhesive side. I'm sure you've seen this stuff before. World Models uses it on a lot of their products, and it looks to be pretty durable. Doesn't require much going-over with an iron to re-shrink it, either.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by justy g
Burning & Turning
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,021 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

I Saw one in Radar Models HK a couple of weeks ago..Looked good
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g