SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2014, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by sleepwalker
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
571 Posts
Question
Sealed Lead Acid Batteries

Would these be good to use in a scale boat such as a 36"to 48" tug with two motors ? Motors would probably be Pittman 9000 series or Johnson 970's.These are in the sale isle at Walmart for $18,but might get them to go lower on the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Wildgame-Innov.../dp/B0031AUPOC
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2014, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,462 Posts
These SLA batteries are pretty much a commodity, generic... I'm sure your private branded example is as good as any other. No clue if that specific size is what you want or need in whatever model you have...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 20, 2014, 01:43 AM
Find More Posts by CaptCB
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,653 Posts
As one of our "master" model tug builders from Canada says, "the ONLY good lead in a model boat, is wrapped in acid (a battery)! Yes, SLA's or Gel Cell batteries, work great in a tug. Here is my 25'' pushboat.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:12 AM
Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
5,097 Posts
HECK Ya I use them all of the time . WITH MY 6 foot DDG and carrier you cant beat them as far as I am concern and I use a pair of standara 12 volt motors with mind never had a problem . FOR that pirce for that battery I feel it is good price. Just keep it charge and check on it when your not useing it . Just be sure to keep at least a full 12 volt in it all of the time . During the winter I charge mind up and usely once a month I will check mind and it the are a low 12 volt I will put a charge in them . One thing nice about thoes Jell cells you can put them in any way you want. I eather will lay them down or keep them up right.
. But that is my opinion only. HERE IN portland at the shop I deal with Battery exchange I cant touch for less then 20 any more I had to pick up one about 2 years ago . I dont have a clue on what they are going for now. I did know wall mart handled those something I will have to check into..thanks for the tip. DON the Rustbucket in Portland Oregon
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by sleepwalker
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
571 Posts
The Walmart in my area has an isle for things that are reduced for quick sale.Maybe each Walmart has a cheapie isle. These were originally in the sporting goods/hunting dept and were used for automatic game feeders,lights and electronic predator calls.If I get one or two,I'll have to see if they have any of the chargers for them.
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by jeno
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Sep 2005
561 Posts
Let me join all the previous posts by saying that SLA's are the way to go. One more thing to note: SLA's generally are rated at 24 hour discharge rate( some may be @12hr rate) That said, a 7.2 amp SLA is not going to give you 7.2 amps/hr. Not without cooking the battery. Match your motors and your batteries so your current draw remains within the comfortable limits of the battery.
jeno is offline Find More Posts by jeno
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by Greg Hiltz
Saint John, NB(East Coast) Canada
Joined Apr 2006
198 Posts
Perfect Batteries

Yes Sleepwalker, those Gel Cells are the perfect batteries for any larger model boat, can be laid flat, sideways, or vertical. Buy and install as many as you need to get the proper trim in the finished boat. Much better to add storage voltage for weight rather than dead lead weight.
Simply wire up + to + to + and - to - to - , this will keep the same voltage but really add up your amp capacity, which is same as your fuel tanks.
Greg Hiltz is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hiltz
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by Circlip
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
2,094 Posts
Not a good idea to parallel Lead acid batteries, or series them for that matter. Uneven discharge leads to strange fault symptoms. Load them into the available space, but it doesn't take long to change over two leads?

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,490 Posts
Never had a problem running SLA's in parallel.....cheap ones are good for about 18 months to 2 years of hard use if you are pulling lot of amps out of em'

I now run more expensive deep cycle 12v 10ah SLA's (twice as expensive and a kg heavier!) I have had these ones since Nov 2011 still going strong

Cheers Bruce

PS any decent electronics parts store should have a 12v SLA charger of some type.
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by mfr02
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,185 Posts
Provided that all the batteries concerned are measured at the same voltage prior to connection, and kept like that, there is no problem. Lead acid cells can supply enormous currents, but not for long before they damage themselves, and that is why some caution should be used. The circulation currents involved while they settle themselves out can be very large.
Using batteries in series, again, they should be in a similar state of charge, because if one is not as charged as its friends, it will not only run down faster, but possibly try to reverse charge. This manifests itself as a very sudden drop in performance, and likely difficult recharging. Of course, while a 6 volt battery is 3 cells in series inside one box, a 12 volt battery is 6 cells in one box. 2 of 6 volt batteries in series (provided they are both the same AH rating) just makes a 12 volt battery. You might want that to make siting them in the hull more convenient.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02