HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:42 PM
United States, PA, Williamsport
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts
Discussion
cutting teak wood

I was given a nice piece of teak wood a long time ago. Finally decided I would rip it down to thin strips that I planned to use later on a deck. It sure is a hard wood! Even with a new blade it was very hard to cut and kept breaking every few inches.
Do I need to cut it thicker and get a thickness sander or a different blade for my table saw? I never had much luck cutting thin strips on the band saw.
drs3317 is offline Find More Posts by drs3317
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 07:08 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,285 Posts
The more teeth the better when cutting teak.
And a good dust mask.
Love the smell of teak being cut.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:03 PM
Joined Sep 2006
918 Posts
I used to make ink pens and did some out of teak for a guy once man you want to talk about some oily nasty stuff to work with. I can see why its used on boats though.
hazegry is offline Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Dec 14, 2014, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Morris View Post
The more teeth the better when cutting teak.
And a good dust mask.
Love the smell of teak being cut.
Thanks,
I was using a 4" 24 tooth carbide blade on the Dremel table saw. I have it rigged to a dust collector but just seemed hard and dry. A lot of dust.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:40 PM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs3317 View Post
Thanks,
I was using a 4" 24 tooth carbide blade on the Dremel table saw. I have it rigged to a dust collector but just seemed hard and dry. A lot of dust.
Teak is a pretty hard wood, perhaps you're over taxing the motor in your little table saw? Make sure the teeth on your blade are sharp. Cutting teak on my 2hp full size table saw gives it a workout so I can only imagine how much your little saw is grumbling.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:02 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
4,285 Posts
Yeh, A full size table saw is the way to cut teak.
I'll bet the dremel is slow cutting this stuff.
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Dec 15, 2014, 01:27 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,191 Posts
I would say a full size table saw is the only way you will get a good cut.
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:13 PM
Waukesha, WI
Joined Dec 2006
266 Posts
Teak wood has a very silicon content. It dulls the sharpest carbide quickly.
Best to use teak veneer and rip on table saw with narrow slot insert. (Silicon is also in sand). It is like trying to cut below ground removed roots from a tree and very dense. Thickness planing best with sand belt not planer blades unless you love sharpening
jshander is offline Find More Posts by jshander
Old Dec 17, 2014, 08:29 PM
Joined Apr 2007
30 Posts
Well, I used my 10" table saw and cut small strips. I will have to replace my saw blade now. Next step is to make a thickness sander for the strips. I'm thinking of using a drum on my drill press and making a fence like I saw on you tube.
I had the teak wood on hand that's why I was using it. Otherwise I like jshander's suggestion of using teak veneer. Maybe next time.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 03:25 AM
Senior Moment Member
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,426 Posts
I've always wanted a thickness sander, but the large commercial ones are out of my price range. Micromark offers one designed for model makers which is sorta reasonably priced. There are, however, a lot of homemade/diy ideas on the web for making one.

babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish