HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 02:29 PM
Joined Jul 2014
24 Posts
Discussion
Suggestions on easiest mini cp to learn on.

I am competent on the V911 and the Solo Pro and I looking for suggestions on the easiest mini cp to learn on. I have a Super CP that I have been working with and I am making slow progress but to me it is very sensitive.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and have a great Sunday.
werich44 is offline Find More Posts by werich44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 03:49 PM
Master CP
United States, TX, Burleson
Joined Feb 2012
389 Posts
Not sure what transmitter you're using, but when I started with my first CP (Master CP), I tamed the transmitter settings way, way down so my overreactions wouldn't kill me.

That might make your SuperCP a bit less twitchy.
mcmoyer is offline Find More Posts by mcmoyer
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
820 Posts
the hcp80 with the x6s transmitter is a good robust starter but i'd have to agree that toning down the setting's on the Super CP would be the way to go if you have a programmable transmitter .
dadio is online now Find More Posts by dadio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 04:30 PM
Neophyte o the Flyin Cuisinart
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
707 Posts
In addition to taming the Super CP with your TX dual rate and expo settings, you can also max-out the SCP's gyro pot for some extra stability. Viewed from the front, the pot is located on the right side of the flight control board, just under the spare (unused) connectors. Turn it clockwise so the large flat is at around 5:00 and the heli should feel much more docile.

It doesn't get much easier than the Super CP, but the setup needs to be dialed-in correctly. Make sure that your swash is level, the blade tracking is flat and there's zero blade pitch at the zero stick setting and active throttle hold switch position on the TX. When everything is set correctly, the SCP is very stable, so try to let it hover with very minimal stick input. The biggest problem most FBL CP newcomers experience is a tendency to over-correct, which puts you in a cycle of chasing your first over-correction with another, and another, until you lose control. Think of your stick input as the gentle nudge that stops a ping pong ball from rolling off the edge of the table. If you whack the ball, it'll just roll off the other side twice as quickly, but if you gently tap it, it will settle in the middle of the table.
Uncle Gravity is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Jul 2014
24 Posts
Thanks gentlemen for the responses, I think everyone is saying the same basic thing and that is to tone down the controls.
I downloaded the deviation 4.01 firmware and also Tom Z's beginner model for the Devo 7E .
I just tried it out and it certainly does make a difference, the little beast is much more controllable now.
I appreciate everyone's assistance, have a great day!!
werich44 is offline Find More Posts by werich44
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:16 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,323 Posts
The Super CP is among the easiest to fly in its size class. The Master CP is easier because it is larger but it is not as durable.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:50 AM
Slovakia
Joined Sep 2013
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by werich44 View Post
and also Tom Z's beginner model for the Devo 7E .
Just curious did you pay for that download? I have recently noticed that he is now charging 2 dollars for one model. It used to be for free and some folks here may have those settings to give it to you for free at least next time you need other settings.
jamichx is offline Find More Posts by jamichx
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2009
239 Posts
the super cp is very stable but the super cp's durability is somewhat lacking. A hcp80, hcp100 or nano cpx would have better duability, but worse stability. the only cp helis with better stability would be those with a 6 axis reciver, the genius cp being the only one thats recomendable.

But in all honsety if you have a super cp, just stick with it.
IM back! is offline Find More Posts by IM back!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:43 AM
Never let it down
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2013
341 Posts
Don't tame too much, or you will loose responsiveness, which can be more difficult to fly.

I prefered to learn at full rate, no D/R no expo, just to accustom you stick inputs more accurately. You will need that anyway if you want to go further (and fly in idle up, which the richest way to fly a CP, even if no 3d), so just take good habits right now.
Pachapapa is offline Find More Posts by Pachapapa
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:36 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,508 Posts
You need enough control to fly the heli. If to tame it will get into bad spot and not have enough control to recover. The hopping method works. Get heli up and try to conrtol. Bring down and go again. you will fing time in air increases more and more. Then one fine day there is your bird hoving nicely. Pinch those stick at very end, no thumbs for helis. Leave that for sloppy fixed Wingers.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04