SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:02 AM
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
looking for good parkflyer

Im looking to upgrade from my champ to something best in winds. As of right now I only have a small park right by my house and a few mediums within walking distance. The problem is I love right next to a tributary and is never calm with to fly my champ except very early mornings once in a great while. I was looking at the apprentice but it would to big to fly even in the medium parks. Off would require going to one of the local fields which are a ways away
SeaAirLand94 is offline Find More Posts by SeaAirLand94
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
Bud I have found just about any plane will fly well in the wind when set up right. More so than not a plane with under a 40" wing and a little nose weight will perform well. You must have enough power to pull out of a down wind turn or more or less be able to accelerate down wind. Here is a vid of a plane some believe to be a fair weather plane because of its size and weight "GWS Corsair". When built right it will fly in any wind you can still stand up in It doesn't take skill to fly in the wind, it takes power and nose weight. Never mind me calling it a GWS Zero as I forgot what I was flying. Also here is a vid of a GWS E-Starter that will fly in very high winds due to having 4x the power needed for normal flight. In both vids you can hear the wind and the planes don't care except the E-Starter was tossed around on the ground when the wind lifted one wing. The cool thing is when calm out they both will fly slow and gentle. Headsuprc has both in stock as I type this. Both were flown with 10 size motors, the Corsair is on 4s 1800mah where the E-Starter is on 3s 2200mah.
Float E-Starter snow fun (4 min 3 sec)

GWS Corsair 10 motor 11x5.5 APC prop (3 min 32 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Dec 08, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,863 Posts
Take a look at the HobbyZone Delta Ray. It has the same SMART technology as the Apprentice, but requires considerably less space to fly.
Leo L is online now Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
A friend had the delta ray. I thought about it but his doesn't do too well in the wind.i heard the apprentice is a bit better in the wind than the delta ray. Also i hear mixed things about the twin engine was a beginner. Another thing was I was looking at the fact the apprentice comes with the dx5 and had a float option
Old Dec 08, 2013, 11:18 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,464 Posts
Just a couple threads down from this one you will find one of the best parkflyers ever designed. It is called the Mountain Models Switchback.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541596

Of if you want something that is a little quicker to build, have a look at this one. It's called a Stevens Aeromodel SPORTStik. Also a wonderful parkflyer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571116

And if you have no time to build but want an awesome parkflyer then have a look at this one. It's called a Flutter By.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245067

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:10 AM
3,2,1, LIFTOFF
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
HK Skyfun

I would reccomend a HobbyKing Skyfun. It is about the right size for a medium sized park and has a very wide flight envelope. It also has a bit of weight so it handes wind very well. The Skyfun is made of EPO foam so is very easy to maintain or repair quickly. You can basicly smash it tobits and glue it back together and fly it like new! It gives good flight times with a 2200mAh 3S 11.1V battery.
Aadvark is offline Find More Posts by Aadvark
Old Dec 09, 2013, 07:49 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Apr 2013
294 Posts
Wind, new pilots, small planes and small fields do not go well together. I speak from experience.

Sounds like you really like the Apprentice. Other good moderately windy flyers are the Glasair and Sensei. As you note, they do require a lot of space to fly. Go ahead and buy the plane you like and make the longer drive to a real field. You'll get lost of help, meet new friends, and enjoy your plane much more.

In the meantime just be patient and wait for calm days.
Capt Ed is offline Find More Posts by Capt Ed
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:29 AM
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaAirLand94 View Post
Im looking to upgrade from my champ to something best in winds. As of right now I only have a small park right by my house and a few mediums within walking distance. The problem is I love right next to a tributary and is never calm with to fly my champ except very early mornings once in a great while. I was looking at the apprentice but it would to big to fly even in the medium parks. Off would require going to one of the local fields which are a ways away
How big is your medium park?

How much wind?

What is your skill level?

What type of transmitter (radio) do you have?

Knowing these answers would help. Either way, you may want something with stabilization if you want good wind performance in a park flyer. Some models have it built in (like AS3X). And you can add it to other models via an Orange RX with built in stabilization.

Have you looked at the Parkzone Archer? This is a nice size and nice performing plane. And the price just dropped. I regularly get over 20 minute flights with the stock battery when I fly it easy.
DaddyBigas is online now Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 01:59 PM
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
About a soccer field plus a little is my space. And I am looking for rtf. My experience is limited. At best I'm skilled with my champ but thats not overly skilled I know. That was a bonus to the safe technology. I'm looking for at least 5 or more mph. Preferably quite a bit more. The thing about the fields are that they're about an hour away and I would only be able to go once a week which I usually get enough flight time with my champ. Is more about getting a plane that can handle more and so I can get more flight time than upgrading my plane. The more I look the more I'm learning towards the delta ray
Old Dec 09, 2013, 02:07 PM
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
2,024 Posts
looking for good parkflyer

The Archer is great but may be a little big for a single soccer field. Problem is any plane small enough for a soccer field will likely be affected by wind.

The UMX Carbon Cub is a nice option. It is bigger and more powerful than the Champ but is still a micro, and has AS3X. Those factors mean it will handle more wind than the Champ. Since it has flaps you can spot land too. But it is harder to fly than the Champ so be aware of that and learn to fly it in a larger space. Then move to your small field when you are comfortable with the plane.

I own all of the planes I have mentioned, BTW. I love the UMX Carbon Cub and, in fact, just ordered a set of floats for the plane 😄

What is your radio? Do you have a computerized radio with dual rates and mixes?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Jul 2013
11 Posts
I have no radio that's why im looking for rtf
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,435 Posts
I still believe that a EPO GWS E-Starter would fill the bill just fine short of being RTF. Here is a E-Starter flying on a football field, well half of one anyways. Wild or mild it will do it all and still takeoff and land like a trainer, well it is a trainer. I fly mine in all sorts of wind. Besides the building process (few hours) will give you an appreciation and knowledge of your plane and allow you to build it how you want it. Plane, motor, electronics and radio the plane is under $120, what's not to love. I hear all the buzz about stabilization aids in planes, well IMHO they should be kept to camera platforms and 3d models. How can one learn to fly without making mistakes? If you never knew you made a mistake how will you learn to fix it?
GWS E-Starter with clipped wings and neutral CG (3 min 33 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm with Frank. Build yourself a Switchback. It's the best small-field (outdoor!) parkflyer evah. Seriously!
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:01 AM
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
I still believe that a EPO GWS E-Starter would fill the bill just fine short of being RTF. Here is a E-Starter flying on a football field, well half of one anyways. Wild or mild it will do it all and still takeoff and land like a trainer, well it is a trainer. I fly mine in all sorts of wind. Besides the building process (few hours) will give you an appreciation and knowledge of your plane and allow you to build it how you want it. Plane, motor, electronics and radio the plane is under $120, what's not to love. I hear all the buzz about stabilization aids in planes, well IMHO they should be kept to camera platforms and 3d models. How can one learn to fly without making mistakes? If you never knew you made a mistake how will you learn to fix it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTyHHfh81bI
I have never flown an E-Starter or Switchback. Would like to though.

You probably know this, but just in case: I am not talking about auto-pilot type stabilization (sometimes called SAFE or Smart mode). That is a babysitter and is what you probably mean when you say you feel it does not belong in planes because one doesn't learn from mistakes. In regards to trainer planes I mostly agree with you.

What I am talking about is AS3X or 3 axis stabilization. This in no way keeps the pilot from making mistakes. It does not level the plane or anything like that. It simply tries to adjust the control surfaces to counteract external forces (wind). This is very useful and important for small planes or micros because those have a very limited flight window in the wind. AS3X makes a micro fly more like a larger plane, and in some cases makes what would be an impossibly small aircraft actually flyable.

This type of stabilization in no way hampers training or the flight experience. Saying it does is like saying moving up to a heavier plane that is more wind resistant hampers the experience.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I'm with Frank. Build yourself a Switchback. It's the best small-field (outdoor!) parkflyer evah. Seriously!
+1 on the switchback.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom