HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:48 PM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronskironkeli View Post
Hi
I was unable to get any life to my TowerPro 40A with any of the versions. Any ideas how to overcome this or where to start diagnosing? Flashing is working as I managed to run on the brushless firmware by SimonK...
This firmware is compatible with TGY.HEX - so, it is for controllers fr example with P fets on upper side...
Your one seems to be all N-fet, thus it can not work "as is", for sure.
And perhaps also completely different pin assignment - I do not know. If You are interrested, You must edit "macros.inc" to match your ESC - probbably you can read what is needed from tp_nfet.hex (not hex but source files).
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:08 AM
Paris
Joined Dec 2010
175 Posts
You guys should know answers to the questions I have :
is it possible to use those cheap ESC (turnigy, towerpro) to drive motors powered by 24V or 36V sources ? The load power is limited to 250W so the max current is not a problem (10/15A). They are generally given for 6s max (21V). I suppose that some of them have fet that support 40V. Would it be necessary to change the voltage regulator that powers the board and perhaps the resistor dividers for the feedback? thank you for any advice.
I got part of an answer in that reference : http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1344 it says :

"Hardware Voltage Limitations - 4S, 6S, HV
Brushless ESCs are generally rated for a very specific range of voltage. This is due in part to the voltage rating of the FETs themselves. Generally speaking, higher voltage FETs are usually more resistive than lower voltage FETs, so higher voltage controllers will require more FET capacity than lower voltage controllers to handle the same amount of current. The drive circuitry must also be modified to handle the higher voltages.
The FET voltage limitation is a hard number. Exceeding the FET's voltage limit usually results in instant destruction of the FET. Always pay attention to the voltage limits recommended by the ESC manufacturer."

So the output fet should be changed as well as the drive circuitry which makes too much to change to be easily done. Do you agree?

I have just found another thread that deal with that question : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540642
It seems the answers are already there. Thank you.
happyusers is offline Find More Posts by happyusers
Last edited by happyusers; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
Dutch robotgames roboteer
Joined Dec 2006
52 Posts
Could someone please verify for me if the 25A Turnigy plush is also among the supported types of ESC? It looks like it but I'd like to be sure regardless.
leo-rcc is offline Find More Posts by leo-rcc
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
I don't think so, plushes now don't have atmels anymore.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:59 PM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
945 Posts
Here is a new version.

It is the same as V3 but with added temperature compensation.
This means that the neutral point stays at 1.5ms even when the ESC gets warm and the CPU's internal (crappy) clock drifts.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Oct 2012
115 Posts
hello kapteinkuk
Your program can use boat 2 brushed motor 540 ? . I can build capacity for the motor circuit 540 ,
I found the mix function, it is suitable for 2 motor?
and it is important as loss of signal, the motor cut off. , esc locate the neutral when start turn the tranmitter
I want to build a high-speed boat, use esc brushed 2 in 1

schematic turnygy10a atmega8
future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Last edited by future88; Nov 01, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Oct 2012
115 Posts
help me ?

future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Last edited by future88; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
I have been following this thread with a great interest. I am into large scale, garden trains and this project would be ideal for a brushed locos. One small problem: never done any programming, nor have any idea where to start, equipment, software, resources wise. Fairly competent with assembling numerous electronic projects over the years, from kits or schematics. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Copernicus552 is offline Find More Posts by Copernicus552
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
For those interested in reprogramming brushless ESCs based on Silicon Labs processors (many newer HobbyKing/Turnigy/Hobbywing etc) to run brushed motors, check out http://robowars.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1581 and the source code (plus a couple of HEX files) at www.launchpad.net/brushed

I just reprogrammed 2x Turnigy Plush 10A ESCs for mini robots. Basically, 1 brushless ESC becomes a brushed ESC with forward/reverse. It's not particularly well documented, and I nearly bricked my first ESC by using the wrong pin definitions file.

I had to download and install the compiler and programming tools (SiLabs IDE and Keil 8051 C compiler demo) and fiddle around a bit, so it's definitely only for folks with some electronics/programming experience. I had previously reflashed some multicopter ESCs with BLHeli firmware so already had some kit set up. I used OlliW's BLHeliTool programming software to do the actual flashing for BLHeli and for this brushed firmware.

EDIT looks like the pages I linked to are the project of SteveQRSC who posted in page 2 of this thread, and also in another ESC programming thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766589
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Last edited by mattcro; Dec 16, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will give it a try.
Copernicus552 is offline Find More Posts by Copernicus552
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Hi,
Can you please help me, I read that the ESC should be physically connected to the motor by the half bridges, but what does that mean? I am about to reprogram 4 Turngiy F20A's but still not sure where the motor contacts should go. (e.g wires/chip/etc)
Thanks in advance!
phthomps is offline Find More Posts by phthomps
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined May 2011
137 Posts
This firmware can I flash it on the new version of the plush ESC? And the second question. When the throttlestick is in netural (no forward or backwards movement) does it apply electronic brake?

Nice project!
Stef stuntpiloot is offline Find More Posts by Stef stuntpiloot
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
982 Posts
ESC's with Oscillators

I have a number of ATMega fitted ESC's that are going begging.I would like to convert to using this firmware but they all use an external oscillator. Has anyone adapted the firmware to be used on an ESC with an external osc?

Peter
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:29 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Seddon View Post
I have a number of ATMega fitted ESC's that are going begging.I would like to convert to using this firmware but they all use an external oscillator. Has anyone adapted the firmware to be used on an ESC with an external osc?

Peter
In the short term you could changes Fuses to use internal crystal.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:42 AM
Solihull, England
Joined Jun 2004
982 Posts
Far too simple - I should have thought of that. Thanks!

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
In the short term you could changes Fuses to use internal crystal.
Peter Seddon is offline Find More Posts by Peter Seddon