HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
I built a SP out of 1mm steel music wire.
I wrapped a thin copper wire at the solder points to help with soldering. It worked.

Now I have a cloverleaf on the tx and a SP on my trimersion rx.
It works so far very well with very clean video in the house, and I can go to different rooms (walls are made with bricks and cement ) with little or no disturbances.
MarcAntonio is offline Find More Posts by MarcAntonio
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
That's the exact setup I use! Same TX antenna, RX antenna and even goggles It works great. 1 mile is easy on a BoB 700mW. However somebody is doing 2 km on 10mW! I have no idea how.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Feb 17, 2011, 01:16 PM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
That's the exact setup I use! Same TX antenna, RX antenna and even goggles It works great. 1 mile is easy on a BoB 700mW. However somebody is doing 2 km on 10mW! I have no idea how.

-Alex
Oh, that's me doing 2km on 10mw (actually the trimersion tx is 12mw).

I have the luck of living on the mountains in south Italy (used to live in Virginia USA), and there is no wi-fi , the spectrum is pretty clean bar the cellular frequencies and umts 900-1800-1900-2100 mhz.

Where I fly from the top of the slope I can get huge range with not so great setups so my results don't really count and are not replicable near towns.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 04:43 AM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
OK so I read the thread and have decided this is the way to go. I'm just unsure how to get those very nice symmetrical bends? Any tips? I can make a nice jig for the antenna but I'm not sure what's the best way to get those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
I flew with the SPW and 3 turn Helix today. IMO I got very good results. I beat a personal record and hit 2 miles with ok video.
You said you were using 72Mhz?
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:35 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,816 Posts
IN that case I was using TLRS.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Feb 20, 2011, 08:01 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard033 View Post
OK so I read the thread and have decided this is the way to go. I'm just unsure how to get those very nice symmetrical bends? Any tips? I can make a nice jig for the antenna but I'm not sure what's the best way to get those.

You said you were using 72Mhz?
I hand bend everything. I couldn't figure out how to make a jig for this one. I just used a measuring board. Everything else is done by hand.

-Alex
Old Feb 20, 2011, 11:55 PM
KF5LDN FPV Junkie!!!
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Nov 2009
1,758 Posts
Cool, I have an idea to build a jig that might make this easier to build and could be adjusted and remade if necessary.
Wizzard033 is offline Find More Posts by Wizzard033
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
Found out my AIO goggle and 5.8tx from Foxtech use RP-sma, if anybody want my 5.8ghz pin-wheels just PM me.

-Hugo
They showed up in the post tonight Hugo. Merci beaucoup!

I just tried screwing them onto my RC305 and am sad to report that it looks like these SP antennas have the RP-SMA connectors, not your goggles & reciever.

I'll dig around for adapters so I can do initial ground tests and throw them on the FieldFox for antenna measurements. It may take a while before I can get to it because work is getting a bit nuts right now.

These are gorgeous pieces of tech sculpture but the axial symmetry is a bit wobbly, so I'm expecting the performance may be a bit off as well.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Feb 22, 2011, 06:16 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
...I just tried screwing them onto my RC305 and am sad to report that it looks like these SP antennas have the RP-SMA connectors, not your goggles & reciever.
They are as you say, my mistake, as I say it's hectic at work and the pressure is getting to me. In either case I will get some adapters.

Thanks again.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
Happy FPV pilot
Italy
Joined Feb 2009
148 Posts
Following this tutorial I built an SPW for my 5.8Ghz 200mW kit and today I've tested it on my FPV EasyStar.

I did 3 tests...but the results with SPW are not very cool:
1 - standard whip antenna on VTX and VRX
2 - SPW on VRX and whip on VTX
3 - SPW on VTX and whip on VRX

On flight 1, without SPW, I reached 1.000m with some grain after 600m and some disturbance around 900-1000m but the visual was good

On flight 2 I reached 500m with a good image, probably better than flight 1, but after 500m I got a lot of disturbance and around 800m I had to come back as there were a lot of grain and disturbance

On flight 3 I was not able to get 500m and I had to came back very soon.

I know that my SPW is probably not perfect as geometry ...but building these 5.8Ghz antennas it's not so easy.

Next days I'll try with a Cloverleaf or a Vee on VTX and the SPW on VRX and see if I can get better results.

Any suggestion?
lucianozan is offline Find More Posts by lucianozan
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
If you have the extra antenna try Skew Planar wheel (SPW) -> SPW or cloveleaf (CL) -> CL or SPW -> Cl or CL -> SPW and see if that helps.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:49 PM
Speed Nut
Joined Jan 2010
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucianozan View Post
Following this tutorial I built an SPW for my 5.8Ghz 200mW kit and today I've tested it on my FPV EasyStar.

I did 3 tests...but the results with SPW are not very cool:
1 - standard whip antenna on VTX and VRX
2 - SPW on VRX and whip on VTX
3 - SPW on VTX and whip on VRX

On flight 1, without SPW, I reached 1.000m with some grain after 600m and some disturbance around 900-1000m but the visual was good

On flight 2 I reached 500m with a good image, probably better than flight 1, but after 500m I got a lot of disturbance and around 800m I had to come back as there were a lot of grain and disturbance

On flight 3 I was not able to get 500m and I had to came back very soon.

I know that my SPW is probably not perfect as geometry ...but building these 5.8Ghz antennas it's not so easy.

Next days I'll try with a Cloverleaf or a Vee on VTX and the SPW on VRX and see if I can get better results.

Any suggestion?
Hello Luciano,
do you have a close-up of the solder job?
It looks like there might be a large gap between the ground and feed point.
Also your connector (ground) is touching the wires, effectively shortening those legs of the element, but without a close-up picture, it's hard to tell.

I would leave a few cm of antenna wire coming out of the connector so you can be precise with the soldering.
I had the same problem with the antenna directly soldered to the connector.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
800 Posts
Having the antenna so close to surrounding metalwork of the VTx can 'block' or distort the radiation pattern from the S-P.
I made my 5.8GHz S-P at the end of a short piece of coax cable, which was recommended to me by the Canadian Radio Amateurs where I re-discovered the S-P antenna from.
They said it was better to keep the S-P at least one wavelength away from surrounding metal parts.

A S-P will always be 3db down on cross polarised antennas, that is to say, a S-P on the VTx and a whip on the VRx (or vice-versa).

The best CP performance will always be with a S-P on the VTx and either a S-P on the VRx or another CP antenna on the VRx, eg a CP helical beam.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,577 Posts
I find the cloverleaf (3 blade) is a bit easier at 5.8GHz. It performs just as well as the skew-planar wheel in my tests. You need to compensate for the added length given from the coaxial cable sticking out of the connector by shortening the lobes a bit.

-Alex
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:33 AM
Happy FPV pilot
Italy
Joined Feb 2009
148 Posts
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I'll keep you informed about my next tests.
lucianozan is offline Find More Posts by lucianozan