SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:11 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
Discussion
Vintage Graupner Hanglider

Hello,
I have just obtained a vintage Graupner hanglider from the 80s its new in kit form with a span of 2.2 mtrs ,can i ask does anyone remember this model,? does it fly? it will make a great xmas gift for my son ,german name is RC Flug Drachen?
cheers Euan.
egall232 is offline Find More Posts by egall232
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:08 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
I remember it, I worked at a hobby shop in the late 70's early 80's, we sold one never found out how it flew

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:22 PM
Germany, near Collogne
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
I owned this model years ago ( when i'm young and handsome ). It was one of my first rc-models. If i remember rightly it flews very well, but don't expect a high drag ratio.

Jens
Jens Ising is offline Find More Posts by Jens Ising
Old Oct 30, 2009, 05:39 PM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
vintage Hanglider

Thanks for the information,its been very hard to get anything on this ,
Euan.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:21 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,529 Posts
Dont know if its the same but many years ago (in the 70s) i saw a version where the pilots arms were servo operated and it flew on the slope ok.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 01, 2009, 05:21 AM
Germany, near Collogne
Joined Dec 2007
44 Posts
It is not the same. The servo resides on top at the Graupner glider. The pilot takes up the receiver and the battery.

Jens
Jens Ising is offline Find More Posts by Jens Ising
Old Nov 01, 2009, 08:17 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
vintage Hanglider

Jens,
you have just solved a problem,i could not find a place for the servo now i get it ,was it mounted on top .As its single channel i expect it will be better flown on a tow line as penetration into wind from a slope will be interesting??.I will assemble it and post a couple of photos,
thanks Euan.
Old Nov 01, 2009, 10:05 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
vintage Hanglider

Just managed to sneak into my workshop and assemble the hanglider,apart from some flaking paint on the pilots head its in good shape for a kit last sold in 1977,i found the servo mount already fitted and all parts being pre made all slotted together who said artf is a new thing?.It also has a small capsule for adding noseweight ,very clever.It may not fly very well but it will look great in my sons room,
cheers Euan.
Old Nov 03, 2009, 09:40 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
Mine never flew! Too fragile and too limited in control. Still have most of the broken pieces if I were to want to reconstruct one. All the plastic bits will shear off and the dowels will break and the covering will split and tear! Typical toy! Likely to seriously dis-encourage a youngster to want to fly! With only a single channel transmitter you cannot even use it for anything else. If it had been successful, you can guarantee it would still be made. Keep it intact for display (with its box). Worth more in the future intact than in pieces in the cupboard.
That said, maybe you and he could redesign it with modern materials and two channel control... With such a huge wing area it needs serious pitch control.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Nov 04, 2009, 07:43 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Euan - have you thought about one of these...

Paraglider Acro and Crash after Fullstall Wingover (Gleitschirm Kunstflug in Slowenien, Absturz) (1 min 44 sec)

Rog
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Nov 04, 2009, 08:58 AM
England/uk
Joined Oct 2007
521 Posts
vintage Hanglider

Rusty,
Thanks so you didnt like it then? ,i guessed as much but did receive a short video of one flying last year in Germany .Rog funny thing that paraglider i was sent an e mail from a German graupner collector who is willing to swop one of these for the Hang glider as Rusty states its worth more in the box,The paraglider is made in Slovenia and will suit my son alot better.I looked at one of these last year but the cost <around 350> put me off
cheers Euan.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:26 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2013
1 Posts
Got a Graupner Q49 Sky Rally Powered Hand Glider for sale - new in the box

wonder if anyone would have an interest on it.
cis_miami is offline Find More Posts by cis_miami