SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2002, 06:29 AM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
U2HF104 design project...

Ok well after my failed V-1 Buzz Bomb project which crashed into oblivion. Well it got 2 mistakes high off a hand launch so not a total failure but it was ugly, unscale, and fragile. So anyway I've been looking around at other projects and gathering info on motors and batteries etc. So once again I'm about to embark on another EDF attempt. This time I have a digital camera so I can post some pics later once things get going. But I've drawn it out on paper (not the workings just the look of it.) I decided to focus on several things. I wanted it to be easily scratch built, manuverable, and have the ability to ROG. I'm gonna call it the U2HF104. If it flies anyway but it should...hopefully. But the reason I'm calling it the U2HF104 is because of what it looks like! It's kinda like a U-2 and has a touch of a british Harrier, a dash of f-16 Falcon, and a robusque flavor of an F-104 Starfighter. Curious yet? Unfortunately I'm not gifted in CAD so I do it all on paper and then correct with sandpaper. It's gonna be a full tilt bird. 4 servo's 1 for retracts, 1 for rudder and the nose gear stearing, 1 for ailerons, and 1 for the elevator. So it's a 5 channel bird including throttle with 4 servo's doing the work along with 2 MF400's and 2 mega 16 size 2 turn motors. I'm not sure about cells yet I'm sure it will take some experimenting to get the right power to weight combo. I'll post a rough draft up when I get home from work. Yeah yeah I'm at work! Works great but pay sucks basically I sit in a booth all night surfi...I mean studying for school. Luckily between work, and my social life I have 24 usable hours in the day minus sleep Of course I'm building a big gasser right now (please forgive me ) but should rap it up quick. Hopefully my roomate won't sue me for saw dust inhalation. How you fit a bed, computer desk, dresser, guitar amp, 3 guitars, a night stand, and another table covered in glue and parts into a 18x20' room I'll never know. Did I mention it's a queen size bed? My poor roomate just shuts his door and cranks the TV to try and overcome the melodius tune of my dremel tool! Anyway enough said, stay tuned, and I'd like to say that without this bulletin board and all the highly intelligent, and informative people on it I'd be banging my head on the wall trying to figure out the wingloading on something. I live in here reading reading reading posting crazy nonsense and asking silly questions.
So thanks all and that includes those who asked silly questions so that I could just read the answer they got without having to ask it.
Wish me luck!
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2002, 07:54 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings -

Lockheed's early renditions in the U-2 design development were much like an F-104 fuselage with U-2 wings.

Good luck with your project!

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jun 14, 2002, 04:40 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Apr 2002
1,134 Posts
Hey thats cool to know about the U-2. Really it has the nose of an F-16, the tail of an F-104, it's got two huge engine (compared to the chassis) and the landing gear is based off the british Harrier. I think the landing gear is really the special part since there are only 2 gear which are inline with the fuselage along with two little balancing wheels out on the wing tips. I'm gonna post a picture of my sketch although I'm no artist and I'm sure it may change some when I build it.
So I know it's a sorry drawing held in front of a USB camera and looks kinda goofy. But hey they said the F-4 would never fly and look at it
Hopperfly22 is offline Find More Posts by Hopperfly22