HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:07 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
38 Posts
Discussion
Budget DLG?

I like reading all these threads for the latest and greatest all molded composite DLG's, but their prices are ridiculous for a toy airplane that I will never use for anything beyond flying at a local football field.

What does one do for a full house, 4 channel DLG that doesn't cost $500+? If I could, I would invest the many hours necessary to learn how to cut and bag wings and build a SuperGee but I may die before I get that much spare time available in reasonably useful chunks.

Is there an solution to this or am I stuck with low end 2 channel poly DLG's forever?

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:11 PM
United States, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Dec 2000
293 Posts
Whatch the classifieds. People often post used dlgs for under $400. Ask around. You can probably find a few year old dlg for $3-400
clintc is online now Find More Posts by clintc
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:28 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
There is a model called the "Thowt" made in the Czech Republic that is getting some discussion in the "What did you do with your DLG today" thread. As I recall the price is <$300 US.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,581 Posts
Check out Pacific Glider Works. The Arrow5 by Shaper Dave is available in a glass version for $350. Gram-for-gram the same weight as the carbon/kevlar version, and a great flyer.

But you're going to have to wait for delivery. The current backlog is many months.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,581 Posts
Second best idea: Blaster 2s are still available from Barry Kennedy. Dated, but great flyers. Delivery in several days.

Yours, Greg
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:13 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,952 Posts
My first full size, full house 4 channel is a Hobby King 1.5 meter ARF DLG, about $300 plus shipping. Mine flies pretty good, at a little over 300 grams. It's certainly not a competition DLG. A good value if you just want to fly for fun
I recently bought a used Fr3aK competition DLG for close to the same money. So you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy this part of the hobby.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:14 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,336 Posts
Once you can build them you will know why they are all >$400. The amount of planning, designing, time, work and materials to get started is just crazy.

You wont really see them as toys anymore after that. It's a model!
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:15 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Mar 2014
81 Posts
How much are you looking to spend on a bare air frame?
Updraft67 is online now Find More Posts by Updraft67
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:17 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Mar 2014
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Check out Pacific Glider Works. The Arrow5 by Shaper Dave is available in a glass version for $350. Gram-for-gram the same weight as the carbon/kevlar version, and a great flyer.

But you're going to have to wait for delivery. The current backlog is many months.

Yours, Greg
I think I read here on the forums the wait is now over a year for the Arrow just FYI.
Updraft67 is online now Find More Posts by Updraft67
Old Dec 07, 2014, 08:51 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post
There is a model called the "Thowt" made in the Czech Republic that is getting some discussion in the "What did you do with your DLG today" thread. As I recall the price is <$300 US.
Quote:

Yours, Greg
I will have a look at both.

Quote:
Second best idea: Blaster 2s are still available from Barry Kennedy. Dated, but great flyers. Delivery in several days.

Yours, Greg
Where do I find these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Once you can build them you will know why they are all >$400. The amount of planning, designing, time, work and materials to get started is just crazy.

You wont really see them as toys anymore after that. It's a model!
I don't consider them to be worth nothing or overpriced for what they offer. The latest ones represent an investment of serious time and money on the part of the manufacturers. But for my uses it is simply a toy airplane to have fun with on a saturday afternoon and I can't justify $500+ on that.

It may be that I am just cheap, but as a long time scratch builder I can build a 120 size pattern plane for well under $300 in materials and there is just something about spending double that for a small glider that offends my sense of value. Maybe I will have to take a run at building a SuperGee and see how terrible it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updraft67 View Post
I think I read here on the forums the wait is now over a year for the Arrow just FYI.
Ouch. I am not in a hurry with many months of winter to go but that is stretching it.

Thanks for the replies,
Mark
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:12 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,884 Posts
If you decide to build, build something a little easeir, at least a Tabooish. Also, I'd suggest purchasing the fuselage from someone. Sometimes perfectly usable seconds are available at substantially reduced cost. The learning curve for fuselages is if anything worse than for bagged wings and tails. And if the fuselage fails it tends to do a lot of damage to the rest of the plane.

The thing is, you can build it for the price range you are considering. But that is after you know how to do it and have the tools.

If you can get together with someone who already builds, then you are golden!

Second hand is your best bet on average.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:19 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,150 Posts
They really are magic and toys for us big boys. An alternative is the Stella 1 m. Easy to transport 400$ complete. But I guess a question would be how big is your park,? How good of a pilot are you. What sort of wind do you get at your park ? A B2 does fly good. If your park is smaller and no major wind and has good thermals it will be fun.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,581 Posts
mmattock:

Blaster 2 is available from Kennedycomposites.com Barry Kennedy also distributes Blaster 3 (good bargain), 3.5 (improvement on the 3) and Snipe.

Despite its age, the Blaster 2 is still a nice ship to fly, very responsive in light air situations. The Morris Brothers first achieved DLG dominance with Blaster 2s. An easy performance boost can be obtained with mounting the aileron servos as top drive. Another easy performance boost comes from shortening the boom a bit - 2 inches seemed to work. For light weight, use D47 servos all around.

People will tell you Blasters are inherently delicate. My own Blaster 2 lasted over two years, and even had a registered air-to-air kill to its credit: a Park Zone T-28 powered model. My pair of Blaster 3s were purchased several years ago, and both are still flying here in New Mexico, in other hands. So much for delicate.

Yours, Greg
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:12 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmattock View Post
I will have a look at both.

Where do I find these?

I don't consider them to be worth nothing or overpriced for what they offer. The latest ones represent an investment of serious time and money on the part of the manufacturers. But for my uses it is simply a toy airplane to have fun with on a saturday afternoon and I can't justify $500+ on that.

It may be that I am just cheap, but as a long time scratch builder I can build a 120 size pattern plane for well under $300 in materials and there is just something about spending double that for a small glider that offends my sense of value. Maybe I will have to take a run at building a SuperGee and see how terrible it comes out.

Ouch. I am not in a hurry with many months of winter to go but that is stretching it.

Thanks for the replies,
Mark
Well since you mentioned you are a scratch builder why not pull together all the parts needed to build your own DLG.

Cores for about 50 bucks
Fuse in the 100 range
various strings, springs and the likes another 50 bucks

Pull together a vacuum pump, some glass and epoxy and viola!
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Dec 08, 2014, 01:24 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2014
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_T View Post
If you decide to build, build something a little easeir, at least a Tabooish. Also, I'd suggest purchasing the fuselage from someone.
Thanks for the Tabooish suggestion. Finding those threads led me on several hours of reading and subscribing to threads that I will need several more days to digest in full. Part of the reason I was looking at the SuperGee is that I can still buy the pod and boom with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Well since you mentioned you are a scratch builder why not pull together all the parts needed to build your own DLG.

Cores for about 50 bucks
Fuse in the 100 range
various strings, springs and the likes another 50 bucks

Pull together a vacuum pump, some glass and epoxy and viola!
It is the time required to learn how to bag the wings that is my biggest hurdle. I have done balsa over foam wings before and they are no problem, but doing the wet fiberglass layup and making it work is another thing.

One of the threads I found was the $75 DLG thread and that may have enough info to convince me to finally give it a shot and see what happens.

Mark