HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:16 AM
United States, KY, Mt Washington
Joined Jan 2014
7 Posts
Discussion
Help! Help!

Picking up the new Goblin 380 in January and need to know whats a good flybarless system to use without breaking the bank.Maybe something with bail out feature or self leveling,this goblin is pricey so I dont want to dart it into the ground help me guys..
helinewbie522 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie522
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:47 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
211 Posts
Do you have any experience with CP helis? If not, a Goblin (no matter which size) is definitely not the right heli for you!
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:50 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
12,119 Posts
Agree with previous post, but assuming you have some experience and/or some help then the Spirit is the cheapest and best value option that has bailout and self leveling: http://eshop.spirit-system.com/index...duct&id_lang=1

They are currently out of stock but expect more to arrive in a week or two.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:46 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
402 Posts
cheap and goblin don't really go hand in hand. Like someone said before, its like buying a bicycle, you can have cheap, strong and light - but only 2 of them at any one time. If you really love the Goblin, like I recently started to, invest a little in some quality stuff and don't cheap out. You will appreciate it, for example the BD3SX is well worth its cost if it saves you multiple times from crashing. The SK720 or iKon is just about as good too.

Personally, I chose to accept the crash costs as part of the learning process, and went with a mini VBAR instead - it flies like a dream to me. If you really want something of that class but won't break the bank try the KDS Chase 360 - its dual belt main drive and belt tail make it extremely hardy, will be able to take a beating compared to other 450/Ls.
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:36 PM
United States, KY, Mt Washington
Joined Jan 2014
7 Posts
I do have experience in cp helis but I know I will get great advise from you guys on this thread.Cheap and Goblin do not go hand in hand I get that but there has to better flybarless systems out there than the 500 to 1000 buck range.Just looking for some protection from crashes until I get bigger b***s to get more aggressive with my flying.
helinewbie522 is offline Find More Posts by helinewbie522
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:12 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Agree with previous post, but assuming you have some experience and/or some help then the Spirit is the cheapest and best value option that has bailout and self leveling: http://eshop.spirit-system.com/index...duct&id_lang=1

They are currently out of stock but expect more to arrive in a week or two.
This's/\/\/\
It will be your best bet or the more expensive Skoookum 740 , but that's out of stock too .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Dec 08, 2014, 08:37 AM
Ground Repeller
Singapore
Joined Jun 2014
402 Posts
I haven't flown with self leveling before.. I learnt to fly on a reversed gyro albeit with correct controls. So I can say it is possible to do it without crashing too much.. Fly something cheaper, you'll crash but you'll learn what not to do much faster. You can also still fly the goblin, but just fly it conservatively until you master your moves on the other one..
ZeniethLily is offline Find More Posts by ZeniethLily
Old Dec 08, 2014, 02:30 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,554 Posts
I would go with either the Mikado or Gaui mini V Bar controller, or the IKON controller. Either one would work well. If I remember the newest V Bar now has all of those features like self leveling and GPS now too. But it is new and more expensive though. The controllers have nice software front end applications you can run on your PC to use to setup the TX and controller. They also aren't terribly expensive. Granted there are cheaper ones, but no support, and no help if you have questions or problems with them.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 08, 2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Mar 2014
58 Posts
I think there is a little uncertainty with the bail out option on vbar v6 is unconfirmed yet and they are not saying if older units will have this upgrade when the new version is released. ikon is a good option is you want self level but it's more expensive, vbar is a great controller but it won't help if you get into trouble. as everyone has said don't cut costs on your fbl controller.
mchopper is offline Find More Posts by mchopper
Old Dec 08, 2014, 05:01 PM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined Feb 2014
359 Posts
I think one of these does everything you need. Download the softwear first to check http://www.banggood.com/OpenPilot-CC...-p-937044.html
bcredneck is online now Find More Posts by bcredneck
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,554 Posts
Those multi-rotor controllers are quite interesting. But they support multi-rotor platforms well, but not helicopters so much. Although they will work as a FBL controller there isn't anything much out there for how they do it. So you wind up DIY'ing yourself. You have to set all the gains and mixes for it yourself.

A couple or three folks have already configured a KK 2.1.x controller for helicopter use. I am sort of partial to it as it has the built in LCD screen and menu for configuring it quickly in the field. You can lift off and hover or try something and land and change a setting and then have another go at it to see how it does. You don't have to plug it into a computer via the USB port.
But there isn't any support for doing it so far. You have toi DIY it yourself.

earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Dec 09, 2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add more info