HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2013
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
To re-quote part of your statement.

"Whether or not goggles are "more immersive" is somewhat irrelevant. "

Don't really have much of a response, other than to say that the comment I was responding to originally stated that "goggles are more immersive", which they're not. A gentleman (I think) a few pages back made that statement. So, my argument to that statement, is very relevant, is it not?

As I said in my first response to said gentleman, this is off topic. I've made my point, and will not discuss this any further, here.

Glen
Glen, this is a special thread where discussing fpv related issues are ok in addition to Flamewheels as Flamewheels like to fpv too !!

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. But, by your own description that goggles make it more difficult to focus your awareness at other visual stimuli than with a monitor does kind of sound like they are more immersive?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immersion

In the end, goggles and monitors are just tools. The job dictates which tool is more appropriate, yes? Whether or not someone needs to wear glasses for example may be the deciding factor.
Dave Pitman is offline Find More Posts by Dave Pitman
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:09 AM
Zero Cash Money
United States, CA, NORTHRIDGE
Joined Nov 2013
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical View Post
Wanted to share a recent finding with trying to lower the rf interference from the pmu. Long story short, the naza pmu is known for interfering with uhf receivers. I read you can get rid of the pmu altogether as long as you disable the low voltage warning. Well since I wanted to use my mini iosd, I tried to hook up the iosd to the pmu to the fc as normal, but not power the pmu. I used a bec to test out the theory, and indeed the iosd still worked and the rc noise level dropped a decent amount. I plan on using a 2s life to power the naza, and then still use my main battery to power the escs.

The only downside is that I can not monitor my main pack voltage through the iosd. But my plan is to run it through another simple osd just for the voltage.

Once I actually fly this way, I'll report back with whether it all works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Balloon View Post
Interesting - how are you measuring the R/C "noise"? I'm not an expert on UHF, by any means, but am curious how you know you have an improvement after all that trouble, errr, research.
I was wondering which UHF system are you using?
And did you have problem?
D Dale is offline Find More Posts by D Dale
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:36 AM
Australia, TAS, Tarleton
Joined Mar 2012
128 Posts
Hi, i have just got a set of 10 inch carbon fiber props for my F550.
They have the slot in them the same as the 1038 props, but still have a little movement in them
What are people here using between the nut and the props?
Are you using something like a star washer to bite in between the props and nut, or just tightening the nut down as they are?
bluesilver is offline Find More Posts by bluesilver
Old Today, 12:39 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Dale View Post
I was wondering which UHF system are you using?
And did you have problem?
Its not the UHF system that's the problem Dale, "Vertical" has been over in the Lab with noise issues that I've been trying to help out with on a F450 copter, copper tape didn't work and made no dents in the scans (coppered the Naza & PMU). It's component positioning that's seems to be the problem and running out of real-estate on a small frame that seems to be working against what 'Vertical' is trying to accomplish. It is EZUHF.

EDIT: I think he's down to acceptable -90db on his scans now. Moving components to alternate locations helps.
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Today, 12:46 AM
OldOne
United States, TX, Groves
Joined Aug 2013
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Its not the UHF system that's the problem Dale, "Vertical" has been over in the Lab with noise issues that I've been trying to help out with on a F450 copter, copper tape didn't work and made no dents in the scans (coppered the Naza & PMU). It's component positioning that's seems to be the problem and running out of real-estate on a small frame that seems to be working against what 'Vertical' is trying to accomplish. It is EZUHF.
I am curious as to how you are "looking" for the noise? Do you have access to spectrum analyzer(drooling). Using an O'Scope to look for spurious spikes in the data stream? Or a frequency counter? Or some other method. Honestly curious. My O'Scope died painfully so I have been trying to use a very old frequency counter with stepped band pass filters and divide by N probes... Not the best thing in the world..
losthislove67 is offline Find More Posts by losthislove67
Last edited by losthislove67; Today at 12:58 AM.
Old Today, 01:05 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losthislove67 View Post
I am curious as to how you are "looking" for the noise? Do you have access to spectrum analyzer(drooling). Using an O'Scope to look for spurious spikes in the data stream? Or a frequency counter? Or some other method. Honestly curious. My O'Scope died painfully so I have been trying to use a very old frequency counter with stepped band pass filters.
Nothing heavy duty here, it's just a simple program in (Immersion Tools V1.40, as previously posted ) that works from the EZUHF RX software that analyses noise levels of on-board electronics and/or environment that may interfere in the UHF range that may effect long range RC control on the UHF band. Very easy process, so easy a cave man can do it.
Old Today, 01:14 AM
OldOne
United States, TX, Groves
Joined Aug 2013
408 Posts
Quote:
Nothing heavy duty here, it's just a simple program in (Immersion Tools V1.40, as previously posted ) that works from the EZUHF RX software that analyses noise levels of on-board electronics and/or environment that may interfere in the UHF range that may effect long range RC control on the UHF band. Very easy process, so easy a cave man can do it.
Nothing that I can use for here though. That was my hope. The O'Scope cost more than my car new.. Got it as salvage so replacing it is a no go. I was hoping you had come across something I could apply to my needs. Thank you anyway.

On a different note, has anyone used the sonar & optical flow sensor for APM on their rigs? If yes, how did it work? Did it make a noticeable difference?
losthislove67 is offline Find More Posts by losthislove67
Old Today, 01:20 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman View Post
Glen, this is a special thread where discussing fpv related issues are ok in addition to Flamewheels as Flamewheels like to fpv too !!

I wasn't trying to be argumentative. But, by your own description that goggles make it more difficult to focus your awareness at other visual stimuli than with a monitor does kind of sound like they are more immersive?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/immersion

In the end, goggles and monitors are just tools. The job dictates which tool is more appropriate, yes? Whether or not someone needs to wear glasses for example may be the deciding factor.
Ok, I'll bite.

I've always felt, immersion in fpv is what I'm visually "seeing" in a monitor, or goggles. There is no difference in what I see in a pair of goggles, or a monitor. I could use my monitor with a box over my head, and achieve the same thing as goggles, not a wise thing to do as far as I'm concerned?

We have differing views / ideas I guess of what immersion is with regards to fpv. Immersion to me is what my eyes are seeing, what my brain has to process. There's no difference between goggles and a monitor with regards to visual perception. Like I said, I've used both, and I do fpv boats, trucks, multirotors and fixed wing, and my Blizzard. I don't find goggles more immersive, I find them more restrictive. There is a big difference.

Being immersed to me, is sitting in a Imax theater, where the "world" surrounds you. That is visually being immersed. Fpv is all about visual perception, making our brains "think" we are flying, or whatever form of fpv we are involved in at that moment. A pair of goggles offers no more in visual perception, than a monitor does. My perception of flight / driving is not enhanced in any way by using goggles. It would if the goggles were 3d, and the feed was 3d, then you are more immersed in your environment, over 2d. The same could also be said for a 3d monitor. So, again, neither is more immersive than the other.

Fpv'ing in a 3d environment changes my visual perception, not wearing goggles. I think if you re-read my initial post you'll see that has been my stance all along. Immersion in fpv is about visual perception, not whether you use a monitor or goggles. Nor does it matter what type of flying your doing, or where your doing it. They offer the same "immersion", visually. That's why I was going on about 2d and 3d planes, that's where there is a "immersive" difference in fpv.

Glen
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Last edited by Muskoka1; Today at 01:42 AM.
Old Today, 01:37 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
Ok, I'll bite.

I've always felt, immersion in fpv is what I'm visually "seeing" in a monitor, or goggles. There is no difference in what I see in a pair of goggles, or a monitor. I could use my monitor with a box over my head, and achieve the same thing as goggles, not a wise thing to do as far as I'm concerned?

We have differing views / ideas I guess of what immersion is with regards to fpv. Immersion to me is what my eyes are seeing, what my brain has to process. There's no difference between goggles and a monitor with regards to visual perception. Like I said, I've used both, and I do fpv boats, trucks, multirotors and fixed wing. I don't find goggles more immersive, I find them more restrictive. There is a big difference.

Being immersed to me, is sitting in a Imax theater, where the "world" surrounds you. That is visually being immersed. Fpv is all about visual perception, making our brains "think" we are flying, or whatever form of fpv we are involved in at that moment. A pair of goggles offers no more in visual perception, than a monitor does. My perception of flight / driving is not enhanced in any way by using goggles.

Fpv'ing in a 3d environment would change that, my visual perception, not wearing goggles. I think if you re-read my initial post you'll see that has been my stance all along. Immersion in fpv is about visual perception, not whether you use a monitor or goggles. They offer the same "immersion".

Glen
Everyone has their opinion Glen. With googles on and ear-buds in, the rest of the world is blocked out and your are indeed immersed in a FPV experience. IMHO: The monitor does not offer as an intense first person view and the immersion into the flight as the goggles provide . That's me.

EDIT: On the other hand Glen, now that I will be flying longer distances, I don't know if being strapped to a pair of light-proof goggles is going to be that great, a monitor may very well be in my future in this ever changing hobby.
Last edited by ZACATTACK; Today at 01:49 AM.
Old Today, 01:59 AM
Joined Aug 2014
109 Posts
Quote:
Everyone has their opinion Glen. With googles on and ear-buds in, the rest of the world is blocked out and your are indeed immersed in a FPV experience. IMHO: The monitor does not offer as an intense first person view and the immersion into the flight as the goggles provide me. That's me.
Thanks guys for the inputs. They are all very helpful. For now it's hard for me judge the difference is worth $300-500. And it seems based from some feedback that I will trust for now it's not that big. I will try to borrow some goggles if I can, so I can make up my mind to spend money on it.

The situational awareness is important for me at this time. Still learning FPV and majority of the time I am with my kids.

Again thanks, let's move on for now.

Most people use GoPro as their cam, and some use mobius and sj4000 like me. Are there other camera that people use? I already have a 2 axis and 1 axis gimbal for go pro.
Jkyamog is offline Find More Posts by Jkyamog
Old Today, 02:06 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkyamog View Post
Thanks guys for the inputs. They are all very helpful. For now it's hard for me judge the difference is worth $300-500. And it seems based from some feedback that I will trust for now it's not that big. I will try to borrow some goggles if I can, so I can make up my mind to spend money on it.

The situational awareness is important for me at this time. Still learning FPV and majority of the time I am with my kids.

Most people use GoPro as their cam, and some use mobius and sj4000 like me. Are there other camera that people use? I already have a 2 axis and 1 axis gimbal for go pro.
I will be using a Pixim Sea Wolf TBS69 for my pilot cam & a GP3+B for the video with the capability to switch between both cams. I'm building a TBS Pro as we speak literally.
Old Today, 04:15 AM
Philippines, NCR, Manila
Joined Jul 2013
230 Posts
Quote:

I use the SJ4000 video out when i am flying with it hard mounted. it works pretty well. If you are going to put it on a 2-axis gimbal, you might want a second analog flight cam with a video switcher like Zack mentioned. it will let you see what the aircraft is actually doing - whether it is being pummeled by the wind, etc. I am waiting for an Effio-V 800 TVL camera from Runcam. I'll let you know how it performs.
ElvisLives is online now Find More Posts by ElvisLives
Old Today, 04:18 AM
Joined Oct 2013
61 Posts
Quote:
<snip> I will stick with my 7" monitor for now until I can borrow a goggle. Nobody nearby I know that has one. I might just spend money on a better cam for now.
Wise decision. That's what I did myself. Once I did try a goggles from a friend for a while but at the end I still preferred the screen. I don't see a better experience myself. I was told the goggles would be much better and would give so much better experience.

The only advantage I found was the fact that there is no surrounding light thus you can focus a bit better on the screen in goggles. Down side again is all OSD text is so darn small. And I'm not that old yet!

This is just my experience. I decided to buy a1) 10" or bigger and more bright screen in the future cause that did seem to make a difference to me. I lend a bigger and brighter screen to try as well. That's why.
Genivos is online now Find More Posts by Genivos
Old Today, 05:26 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,715 Posts
Is there a way that naza m lite can tell you the altitude you're flying at without buying extra rc goods??? I'm flying mine with a Taranis with stock firmware. If yes can you explain how you go about it?? cheers
markkona is online now Find More Posts by markkona
Old Today, 06:53 AM
SirEdward
Philippines, NCR, Pateros
Joined Apr 2004
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
Is there a way that naza m lite can tell you the altitude you're flying at without buying extra rc goods??? I'm flying mine with a Taranis with stock firmware. If yes can you explain how you go about it?? cheers
Yes you can as long as you have any of the following combo.

Option 1
MinimOsd or any of the similar Osd
FPV monitor
Camera (optional)

Option 2
X8R
Arduino Uno, Nano, or Promini
blimppilot@ph is online now Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph