Closed Thread
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:59 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,643 Posts
Question
Sony PS3 crash

My kids Sony PS3 is about 2 years old and just "crashed". Does anyone here know anything about these things? I tried to "restart" but it keeps crashing after it works for a day or two. I see some people put a new hard drive in them for about 120 bucks. Seeing a new system is about 300 I wonder if I should just go with a whole new set up. Thoughts, advice, opinions, help?

Rich
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
Joined May 2010
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich View Post
My kids Sony PS3 is about 2 years old and just "crashed". Does anyone here know anything about these things? I tried to "restart" but it keeps crashing after it works for a day or two. I see some people put a new hard drive in them for about 120 bucks. Seeing a new system is about 300 I wonder if I should just go with a whole new set up. Thoughts, advice, opinions, help?

Rich
If its just the hard drive, you can replace it pretty easy. You need a new drive 320 gig plenty big and cheap at Microcenter. You also need a USB drive to be able to format the drive and a USB case to put the drive in while you format it. I have one you can borrow. The directions are actually on the PS3 website. I changed mine from 80 to a 320 a couple years ago.
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
Braselton Ga
Joined Apr 2009
507 Posts
Did it fly good before the crash? Did you get any video of the crash?
LannyT2 is offline Find More Posts by LannyT2
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
Whirly Bird Fanatic
Joined May 2010
632 Posts
Actually the thumb drive would be used to copy saved data from the existing drive. That said, you put a new drive in and all your old data is gone unless you have backed it up to another drive (thumb drive) and restored/imported it back in. Did you try to see if PS3 has a utility to try and resolve the issue and maybe restore back to original...I think it has.
TossinHoss is offline Find More Posts by TossinHoss
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:05 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TossinHoss View Post
Actually the thumb drive would be used to copy saved data from the existing drive. That said, you put a new drive in and all your old data is gone unless you have backed it up to another drive (thumb drive) and restored/imported it back in. Did you try to see if PS3 has a utility to try and resolve the issue and maybe restore back to original...I think it has.
It's been restored about 5 times. After each time it works progressively shorter. Now it's pretty much toast. Guess ill get the new hard drive so the kids can stream Netflix.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:14 PM
USA, GA, Lilburn
Joined Jul 2007
348 Posts
If you just need Netflix and such, you can grab a Roku box - they should be about $70 or so...
madpatter is offline Find More Posts by madpatter
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
Thermal Seeker
Joined Feb 2011
4,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpatter View Post
If you just need Netflix and such, you can grab a Roku box - they should be about $70 or so...
I saw those. I found a new hard drive on amazon for 70 bucks. Looks like its the fix that I need.
Closed Thread