SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
Discussion
Mini cp mechanical setup

Hi guys plz could I have some advice?
I have been trying to get my mini cp to zero pitch and it looks like I have more negative than positive.

What is the best way to set this up? Do the ball links all need to be the same size (swashplate links)?
Also how can I make sure my servo arms are straight? Can I take off servo arms bind the cp then put the arms back on?
My swash seems level, just cant seem to get zero pitch properly. I have made blade grip links a bit longer but im getting more negative than positive.
Any help will be appreciated.

P.s does there need to be equal movement either side of swash? Up and down
dreamz123 is offline Find More Posts by dreamz123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
870 Posts
Set up a linear pitch curve if you haven't already. Once you have a linear pitch curve you can turn on throttle hold or unplug the motors and and your servo arms should be at 90 degrees. If not, remove the servo arm (also a good time to do the "servo saver" mod) and re-position to 90 degrees. Now adjust the 3 servo links as necessary to level the swashplate. Once the swash is level fold the blades back towards the tail rotor. The feathering shaft needs to be perpendicular to the tail boom and the blades need to be parallel to the tail boom. At mid-stick still the blades should be parallel to the tail boom and also to each other when viewed from the side of the heli. Once that is done move the collective all the way up and measure the distance between the blade tips. Then move the collective all the way down and measure the distance between the blade tips again. You want the same amount of + and - pitch travel.
itsmillertime is online now Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
Well im lost now lol. I just did the servo saver mod and believe it or not as I was puting heatshrink on its melted the servo arm :-( can there be brought seperatly?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
Set up a linear pitch curve if you haven't already. Once you have a linear pitch curve you can turn on throttle hold or unplug the motors and and your servo arms should be at 90 degrees. If not, remove the servo arm (also a good time to do the "servo saver" mod) and re-position to 90 degrees. Now adjust the 3 servo links as necessary to level the swashplate. Once the swash is level fold the blades back towards the tail rotor. The feathering shaft needs to be perpendicular to the tail boom and the blades need to be parallel to the tail boom. At mid-stick still the blades should be parallel to the tail boom and also to each other when viewed from the side of the heli. Once that is done move the collective all the way up and measure the distance between the blade tips. Then move the collective all the way down and measure the distance between the blade tips again. You want the same amount of + and - pitch travel.
Sometimes 90* for the servo arms is between the splines so use the subtrims to level the arm. snemi00 has some great FBL head setup videos on youtube, I highly recommend watching them as you go through the setup process.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
Ive messed up big time here. Can servo horns be brought seperatly? Or do I have to buy the whole servo. I used a razor blade and there slipping. One horn is melted where I put the heatshrink on too :-( I wish I had left it now.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
870 Posts
You'll have to buy new servos. As far as I know the arms are not available seperately. If you can't get the arms 90* then adjust the link accordingly but you are not supposed to use subtrim on these helis. Sometimes swapping arms from one servo to another will also get you a little closer to 90.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
would it be easier to bind the heli to my TX then put the horns on how they were in the first place? slightly pointing up?
then adjust links to get swash straight? i have glued the gap together on the horns and hopefully that will stop em slipping, saves me buying 3 new servos
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
870 Posts
You want them to slip. You want them loose enough to slip in a crash but tight enough to not slip in flight. I use dental floss to add back some tension but o-rings, silicone tubing, heatshrink, etc. will also work. If you already have all the horns off then yes, bind the heli and the put the horns on at 90* once you have the radio at mid-stick/ zero pitch with a linear pitch curve. If you have a horn that either points up or down, try a different horn first but if none of them get it perfect then just position it pointing slightly upwards. Then adjust the 3 servo links to get the swash level. Lastly adjust the 2 pitch links to get 0* pitch and blades tracking well.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:04 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz123 View Post
Ive messed up big time here. Can servo horns be brought seperatly? Or do I have to buy the whole servo. I used a razor blade and there slipping. One horn is melted where I put the heatshrink on too :-( I wish I had left it now.
http://www.clubheli.com/Xtreme-Metal...4-_p_3750.html
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
870 Posts
The metal arms really defeat the purpose of the "servo saver" mod. The last thing these fragile little servos need is a metal arm to transfer even more force to the delicate little gears.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
ok thanks for your help, they were slipping in flight, and accidently hit idle up and it shot across the room like a bullet haha.

ive superglued the gap back so they wont slip as i did the "slice" too big, i will get some more servos soon and do it properly with the right tools.

i will wait for this glue to dry, bind the heli and put it back on then reinstall the servos and try set my zero pitch up.

like my gf says " if it wernt broken dont try to fix it" i shoudl of left it but i like to fiddle with my stuff haha
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
servos are working again, now to do the zero pitch as its zero pitch at like 35% throttle. btw am i right in doing it this way.. i have my motors unplugged and its in idle up with has a -100 to +100 pitch curve, and i have it at mid stick
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
57 Posts
i need to give my self a break, i cannot for the life of me do this. its too compicated. the ball links for the pitch rods have the metal shaft going through one end into the loop now, i have no idea whats going on, i will have to leave it for a while or maybe sell it and grab a new one.

thanks everyon for your help anyway
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
870 Posts
Lol, you'll figure it out. Order a linkage rod set $4, you'll need them eventually anyways as they don't last forever. That's normal for zero pitch to not be at mid stick out of the box and why they fly so much better when you get them set up right. Motors unplugged in idle up is fine. Just put it at mid stick and do one blade at a time. For the low blade you'll want to make the linkage rod longer by turning the links counter clockwise. For the high blade you'll want to do the same. If you've shortened one so much that the threaded rod is in the ball link's eye and the blade is still low you didn't level the swash properly. You shouldn't need to tighten them past the point where you feel more resistance under any circumstances.
Last edited by itsmillertime; Jun 14, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz123 View Post
i need to give my self a break, i cannot for the life of me do this. its too compicated. the ball links for the pitch rods have the metal shaft going through one end into the loop now, i have no idea whats going on, i will have to leave it for a while or maybe sell it and grab a new one.

thanks everyon for your help anyway
get a good magnifling lens or hood, bright light and a bit of patience. Stick it out, most all of us did. I only had to do this once. It's part of making the heli yours and you can be proud and amazed when she flies right.
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike