Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:30 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster View Post
Thanks Lex and Nick,

I'm starting off with all flying surfaces at zero degrees incidence. The drag produced by those wings far above the thrust centerline should create sufficient pitch up under power, negating any need for positive incidence, perhaps the top wings may need negative incidence? We'll see...

Rob
IIRC Gordon Johnson just posted a pic of his multi-wing plane somewhere in this forum, he may have some tips if need be. Looks like a trimming nightmare though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
I'd vote for an extension....
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenrider View Post
agreed, extend it!
Good enough for me!! How about another 2 weeks, just to be on the safe side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimadlex View Post
Well here's the semi-finished plane. I'm not going to add any colour till i know it flies!
Gonna maiden it after work today so might have a little vid tomo although no promises as not sure if anyone's gonna be there to film it. Final weight without lipo is 15.6 grams so not sure how well it'll fly, might be a lil quick but we'll see.

Lex
That pic of you holding the plane in your fingers sure does give it the size perspective, looked big sitting on its own. Nice design though, good luck with the maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
..... I won't be ready!

But maybe the next one ... will there be a next one?

Laramie.
Anyone can start a cook up anytime, so whenever you're ready, have at it!

My family leaves on Saturday so I should finally have some time to work on mine after that.

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,143 Posts
An update to my 5youki,

Was going to use my old Plantraco Micro Race gear, but decided to only use the 7mm motor/tri-turbo prop because the Micro Racer battery/recx/acuators seemed a little to portly for this fragile airframe, the motor has plenty of power. I was reserving my Deltang Rx52 receiver for a secret robster skunkworks project but decided to bust it out for this plane cuz it came out so well...

So, the gear for the test flight was as follows (2ch throttle and rudder):

7mm motor w/tri-turbo prop
Deltang Rx52 receiver
30mah Bahoma
Plantraco HingeAct for center rudder

Well, I launched it in my living room and it gracefully climbed... Applied full left and a very sluggish turn ran it into a wall . Amazingly the plane did not break! But, the hingeact suffered an unrepairable broken wire at the coil. I must say though, I really like this Deltang Rx!

Lesson learned: I used one rudder/hingeact in the center of the horizontal stab assembly, definitely not enough turning authority there. Had to order more hingeacts for a dual rudder implementation like in the 5YOUKI video.

2 weeks extension sounds great to me!

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:22 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
An extension would be great! That would give me time to get my magnets and flashers in.

So far, my wing is covered and floats are almost done. A beaver looks better on floats than it does on wheels So I cheated wing struts are also done.
Fuse won't be covered until magnets are ordered and have arrived.
Also my AUW is 54 grams so far without flasher and light battery, and wing loading is 1.1 g/sq in. I hope my mustang motor can pull this beast.
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
Montreal, QC, CANADA
Joined Aug 2008
821 Posts
Im trying to come up with something that will use my little 2g brushless motor. The girl friend left town for two weeks so im ready to jump in full steam!
forsakenrider is offline Find More Posts by forsakenrider
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Mar 2011
50 Posts
Well guys i maidened the cadet on Tues but it was too windy. It was hitting in gusts so one sec flying fine, the next it was slammed into the ground. Tried again moving into the sheltered woods but again no luck. I only took a few short vids as only had phone but will be taking this to our indoor fly on 7th April so ill get some better vids when im not competing with wind!

MOV03313 (0 min 9 sec)

MOV03317.MPG (0 min 8 sec)

Lex
minimadlex is online now Find More Posts by minimadlex
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
114 Posts
What's the wingspan on that, and what are you powering it with (direct drive or gearbox). Prop size? I'm looking at putting together a high wing simialr to that.
marklind is offline Find More Posts by marklind
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Mar 2011
50 Posts
Hi marklind,
Its 11" wingspan. DD plantraco tri Turbo prop on a blue ss 7mm motor. Ive just changed to a gws 2510 as I already broke 2 tri-turbos. I think they must be using cheaper material as I've got 2 quite old tri-turbos that haven't broke yet and they've had plenty of nose-ins in indoor flying! Have to see how much thrust the gws put out. Here's hoping ;-)

Lex
minimadlex is online now Find More Posts by minimadlex
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crashes, Lex

Why don't you make some landing gear and try ROG? That way you have less altitude to accelerate the plane's descent if you get into trouble. Another idea I've had was to create LG on a "cart" under the plane for take off, like the Arado AR234 Germain WWII bomber.
That's what I'll do with my Beaver. A long flight just to get it off the ground, up to about 2ft, then back down again. I'm taking NO chances with that.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:27 PM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
My entry,

First time balsa scratch build, first time using tissue, dope, making decals, sculpting a pilot etc. Lots of firsts and I did it mostly for the learning experience.

It looks OK but is too heavy at 50.2grams with 4Site guts and a 16" wing span. Around 0.523 grams per square inch. I don't know very much about micros.

Have declared it a failure. Will revise my drawings and try again with some different materials and techniques.

Thanks for looking,
Kent
toyhatsu is offline Find More Posts by toyhatsu
Old Mar 31, 2012, 06:13 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,048 Posts
Bummer about the actuator breakage, Rob, hope you get your replacement in time.

The Beaver is looking good, JSS4, nice touch with the floats

Good luck with the indoor flying, Lex. Looks like it'll fly plenty well enough once in calm conditions.

Kent, that is beautiful work, very nicely done. I wouldnt write it off quite so quickly though, the wingloading isnt too high at all (built and flown plenty of planes with 1g/sq in and much higher). For someone who claims to not know very much about micros, I think you've got a pretty good handle on it already, nice detailing...launch that thing!

Well my family all went back to their respective states so I can finally finish up my Annular...glad I wasnt the only one who needed an extension

Nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:11 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,143 Posts
5youki lrf flies!

Hoooweee Kent, that's a beautiful SE-5!

Nick, It's a rainy weekend, and I have no patience to sit still waiting for my hingeacts, as I am dying to get this thing flying!

I took inventory of all of my old Plantraco micros and decided to sacrifice my old Reno Racer's hingeacts for the good of the cause... Beings as I'd cannabilized their rx's awhile back, the decision wasn't that hard. I can backfill whence my new order comes in.

It was quite a wiring nitemare with those hingeacts, but the end result was worth it. 9 gram AUW as shown in the vid.

5youki lrf (1 min 2 sec)

Rob

Edit: No damage after collision with light fixture. Lucky, I guess. The plane is pretty flexible.
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Last edited by Robster; Mar 31, 2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: No damage
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:16 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhatsu View Post
Have declared it a failure.
Kent,

That really looks great. Did you try to fly it? Have you considered a small brushless like an APO3/5?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:27 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyhatsu View Post
My entry,

First time balsa scratch build, first time using tissue, dope, making decals, sculpting a pilot etc. Lots of firsts and I did it mostly for the learning experience.

It looks OK but is too heavy at 50.2grams with 4Site guts and a 16" wing span. Around 0.523 grams per square inch. I don't know very much about micros.

Have declared it a failure. Will revise my drawings and try again with some different materials and techniques.

Thanks for looking,
Kent
Great job Kent! If you claim to have a high wing loading, think of mine. I am projecting between 1.2 and 1.4 grams per sq. in. BTW, Parkzone UM Mustang is 50% higher than yours.

That Se5 is NOT a failure. You've done a GREAT job detailing it, so If you don't want it to fly, which it should, put it on the desk as a display model.

JSS4
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:41 AM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
Not entirely a failure

Thanks for the comments all,

You have convinced me to give it a try at flying. Will probably wait till the grass grows tall to have a safety net. I just didn't want it to fly like a Mustang...slower and more scale like. I will still revise my drawings to change some things. The guns engine and pilot will be salvageable if I do crunch it. I have noticed that these little planes are fragile while building. I don't know how many ribs I crushed and stringers broken. The covered plane is quite strong. At least I am not intimidated by tissue and dope anymore

Here are some build pics. Yes it has front suspension and a tail wheel for steering on slick gym floors.

Thank you once again,
Kent
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:42 AM
Neophyte
Colorado Springs
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
Jist some more pics