HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2010, 10:17 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Discussion
HZ Champ Group Buy - $80 + tax Each (For real this time) =)

Alright, my LHS said if I can sell 10 or more HZ Champs, they'll give them all to me for $80 + tax each (local tax here is 9.75%, so that would work out to $87.80 after tax per Champ).

If you want one, let me know. I'm going to tell some of the local guys on WattFlyer about it and then my club. Assuming anybody from the Tanner area want in on the group buy, I'll just pay Andy a visit (assuming he'll have me ) and bring them down with me to drop off with him.

- Dave
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2010, 12:44 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
My poor LHS ... it's hard to compete with internet prices, especially coming straight from the manufacturer when they don't charge tax.

Just checked Horizon, and with the free shipping code FDFREESHIP and the fact that they don't charge tax in TN, it's $89.99 shipped to your door for this plane. Not sure if it's tax-free in Alabama as well, but if so, you'd probably spend more in gas driving to Andy's house than the $2.19 you'd save over buying direct.

Ah well ... can't say I didn't try!
Old Jun 06, 2010, 10:22 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Just checked Horizon, and with the free shipping code FDFREESHIP and the fact that they don't charge tax in TN, it's $89.99 shipped to your door for this plane. Not sure if it's tax-free in Alabama as well, but if so, you'd probably spend more in gas driving to Andy's house than the $2.19 you'd save over buying direct.
It's tax free in any state that Horizon where Horizon doesn't have something attached to the ground..

If they have an office in that state, they have to charge sales tax..

If you buy something on the internet, you should never pay tax unless that business has a location in your state.. If they don't, you don't have to pay tax and they are not supposed to charge you tax..

I.E. - The only folks who get charged sales tax at SuperFly RC are Alabamian's..

Ohh, btw.. just walked in the door and had 32 Champs sitting in my living room.
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jun 06, 2010, 11:04 PM
Is it SEFF yet?
Florence, AL
Joined Jun 2006
862 Posts
Try searching for Hobbyzone Champ on Bing.com and see if an 8% cashback comes up on ebay. If so, there is one vendor with a buy it now of $89.99 that throws in 2 batteries and free shipping. After the cashback payment you only pay $82.79 for it.
reg3 is offline Find More Posts by reg3
Old Jun 07, 2010, 11:38 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Oh, I know all about tax law on the internet. And technically, it's NOT tax free. You as the consumer are still supposed to report it. But nobody does. Amazon is one of my best friends. It's a shame Newegg has a warehouse in TN, though.

No need to search for HobbyZone Champ on Bing. Just search for "Wii" ... it almost always brings up the cashback banner. Better hurry if you want Bing cashback - the program ends on July 30th! I've gotten back over $1,300 with Bing in the past two years since they started the program. Stack it with Mr. Rebates for another 3% cashback, and eBay Bonus Bucks for ANOTHER 2% back.

Only problem is that I have $150 in gift certificates to my local hobby shop. So even if it's a few bucks more, it's still less money out of MY pocket. But it's hard for me to pay retail with a gift card when I know I could get it cheaper somewhere else. Spend less "real" money or more "free" money ... always a conundrum!

Yeah, I'm Mr. Bargain shopper. I can't remember the last time I paid retail for ... well, anything. lol.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 12:16 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Oh, I know all about tax law on the internet. And technically, it's NOT tax free. You as the consumer are still supposed to report it.
Well.. yeh, you're right.. I was speaking more of the seller's liability..
Old Jun 07, 2010, 12:27 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
The only seller's liability I'm concerned with is how liable a certain seller in the thread is to send some HobbyZone Champs for half-price. lol.

Survey Says!: *best Consuela voice from Family Guy* "No ... no ... he-sa no sell."
Old Jun 07, 2010, 01:38 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
LOL.. I didn't really get 32.. I only got 3.. Pops and I and then I got one for a buddy as my gift to him for Fathers day..
Old Jun 12, 2010, 09:21 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
I picked mine up from HobbyTown USA on Thursday. They were having a sale of $20 off $100 and I had a buch of gift cards there, so I walked out with my Champ, some mSR blades, and an mSR flybar for $92 out the door. If sales tax here wasn't stinkin 9.75%, it would have been even sweeter, but still, I'm happy. Worked out to about $77 for the Champ. $82 on eBay would've gotten it plus an extra 120mah Tenergy battery (or with 6 extra batteries from one seller, but he didn't mention the brand or size, so I decided to pass on that), so I felt like that was a pretty decent local price. I hate to run them down so low on profit, but my pockets aren't exactly lined these days.

I put a couple of Hyperion 160mah 1S 25C lipos on my Father's Day list, so hopefully I'll be all set for non-stop flying here soon.

I maidened it off the street tonight. Got a local mockingbird pretty worked up and letting me know who's boss around here, but other that, it was great. Neighbors got a kick out of it, and my little girl just stared and pointed whenever it came near.

WAY more fun than my old Citabria. I loved that little plane and it was fun to fly in tight slow circles around me at waist level, but the Champ was definitely more fun to actually go up with it. Didn't try slowing it down enough to do the slow little 8' circles around me like with the Citabria, but I'm sure it can slow down enough for it.

Had these gift cards sitting unused since Christmas 2008 just waiting for the right thing to come along, and I feel like they were well spent.

Although when hell freezes over and E-Flite finally announces their new Platinum warbird, I'm gonna be out of luck now. Oh well.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:32 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Yeh, I've been flying the Champ nightly.. Touch and goes on the street in front on the house are a blast.. We were flying the the other night at the airport but pops threw a wheel, so we quit.

I'm thinking about picking up a 4Site and maybe the Mustang if they are as much fun as the Champ.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:20 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
I wish the Champ had a little more prop clearance. It's hard to get a nice wheel landing without knicking the prop on the driveway.

One thing to watch out for (and something I will mention in my review) is that the elevator pushrod on mine seems to bind sometimes. It sticks where it exits the fuse right in front of the tail. Add that to your pre-flight checklist..."Flight controls. Free and correct!"
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2010, 06:14 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Need to get the flare down.. but I agree, it'd be more fun with a smidge of clearance..

I had my rudder lock full over on me day before yesteday..
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:34 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Only had a prop strike once on landing so far, but yeah, you gotta grease it just about perfect. I was having fun just tossing it over into our neighbor's yard without power and practicing flares into the grass. One thing I forgot to check afterwards was the gear, though. I tossed it up and flew it after a few into-the-grass glides, and I didn't think to check to make sure the gear hadn't pulled out at all. When it landed, it was all cattywhompus. I thought about putting a little dab of glue to hold it in place better, but I think I'd rather it be able to pull out than have to worry about bending it back if it gets pulled on too hard.

Thanks for the tip on the elevator ... I'll make sure to check it each time. Had a lot of fun flying it today. If you pull up and roll hard, it actually does a pretty decent lazy rudder roll. Lots of fun doing circuits around the lightpole and hammerheads up and down the street.

I really do think this will be a good plane to get my wife back into flying. Way easier to keep flying than the EasyStar, which always seemed to get going too fast for her comfort, and it does NOT want to come down. As soon as you let off the sticks, it seems to level out within just a couple of seconds on it's own.

Really glad you let me have a go at it during your fly-in, Andy. I never would have thought enough of it to buy one if I hadn't gotten to try it first hand.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Flare? There's no flare in a wheel landing!

I also hear the prop talking on takeoff runs if I get the tail up. Maybe I'll just keep it up and the prop will fix itself.
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:36 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Yeh, I've been flying the Champ nightly.. Touch and goes on the street in front on the house are a blast.. We were flying the the other night at the airport but pops threw a wheel, so we quit.

I'm thinking about picking up a 4Site and maybe the Mustang if they are as much fun as the Champ.
I'd be really curious to try out that Micro Mustang now, too. Curious how it compares to the Hobby Lobby micro ones, too. It would be a lot of fun to have a front yard warbird flyer. I'd really like to pic up an E-Flite P-40 or one of those Kyosho airium warbirds, but I'm pretty positive I'd never get them down in our little 1/8th acre front yard without having to worry about overshooting and smacking the car in the driveway.