HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:15 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,322 Posts
Discussion
Rafale 64 mm from FMS .

I get my second Rafale . The first model also feel good and still fly well , it have some modification to make it faster in the second model .Now i want to do a extremely modification to let it more fast and better . I have open box and see the steam mold hole everywhere in the both surface , especial the bottom side a lot of this cripling. i use a sharp knift cut it out and light sanding , The surface are big different feel you can feel by hand . Second step are add the washout and thin the tailing edge . I will do the ducting tomorrow .
kin is online now Find More Posts by kin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kin; Mar 04, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:43 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,322 Posts
I complete the repair painting in the midification parts and add a little weathering .
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2010, 04:38 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
Nice touch, I have one also. I painted the tail just for fun. You may check it at any time

J.
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Mar 04, 2010, 11:34 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,322 Posts
tonight make the ducting modification .
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:08 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
BTW it is nose heavy!!! I move the main gear to the front and added weight whre the main was.. Also added weight inside the fan mount.
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:40 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,544 Posts
hey! what kit is this n where can you buy it? I've seen it b4, and I'm thinking of getting inta 64mm size jets!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Mar 05, 2010, 01:13 PM
kin
Composite factory
Joined Sep 2007
3,322 Posts
This is a FMS kit from china ,It quality are ok ! The 64mm fan are freewind products . my first model are fly very well , now are the second and do a extremely modification .let it fly much faster . the fan fly in 4s /2200mah the motor is 3500kv .Flying time (70% time full throttle ) is 3.5 min .The c/g for my first model is show in the photo . it is close the second panel line .i will fly it no landing gear .i will do the centre wall in the intake ducting .it can improve the speed .and the centre wall also add behind the fan motor .I don't need the rudder .fix it in exopy and take out any useless thing .let it extreme light .Let see how the performance???
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:24 AM
Wats the worst that can happen
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
540 Posts
Metrics

Ha! No posts in 2 years. Well, since I've been measuring performance metrics with all my planes lately, I thought I wouldnt leave this one out.
My beloved Rafale is my first R/C plane. It's done me very well over the months. It is stock, running on a 1300ma 3S 25C pack:

AUW: 666g(1.5lbs)
Thrust: 470g (1lb)
25A/300W

For fun, I stuck on a 4S 3300ma 40C pack:
Thrust: 760g (1.68lbs)
40A/614W

I've thought to use a 4S, but I admit I like the docile, calm flying of the 3S. This is the jet i fly when I want to relax. It's has a perfectly balanced fan unit (courtesy of Don) so it sounds buttery smooth.
TheCure is offline Find More Posts by TheCure
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Mods to My RC Electronics
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Model just arrived.

Question: I plan on replacing the EDF with an alloy version, but I see no way of removing the EDF access panel without doing damage (there seem to be foam 'plugs' covering what I believe might be screw mounts or something). Can you guys help with this? Should I just go for it and try and get the plugs out?

Also, do you guys think a 2200mah 3S will fit (from looking at it space shouldn't be an issue)? I might go 4S later on too.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
540 Posts
2200 may fit, but will most likey put the cg too far forward.
those plugs look daunting, but get very think dull knives on either side, slip them in and jimmy the plugs out. if done carfully, little evidence will show you touched them
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I'm hoping the alloy EDF will be a bit heavier than stock and will make balancing the CG easier.

Also, I managed to tease the plugs out, but not without severely mangling them. They make a tight fit, and it's rather obvious the plane was painted after they were inserted. Once you pull them out, taking the screws out is a breeze.

The stock EDF was also glued in. Seems silly to me when there's already a groove holding it in place.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Just finished putting it together. Getting the CG to the right spot (the same that Kin used) is easy with a 2200mah 3S, just push the lipo as far back as it goes.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
Maiden was a near crash, CG is actually much further forward than expected. A 2200 3S needs to actually be pushed forward almost as far as it will go (the rudder links get in the way).

Once that's done, very docile flier. Like all deltas it's very floaty at low speeds, but can carry good speed if need be. Not a rocket with the stock setup, but fast enough for some fun flying. Very scale looking model, a pleasure to fly! I'm getting about 4 minutes' flight time with the 2200 3S 45-90C nano-tech, WOT ~70% of the time. I'm planning on fitting a Mercury engine and staying on 3S, should improve speed significantly.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
I've managed to fit the 64mm Mercury 4S version. I tried on 3S, and while it was a small improvement over the lander (huge improvement sound-wise) I decided to go 4S anyway. So now I'm fitting 2200 4S zippy 40C lipos and the thing moves and sounds fantastic. Getting the lipo to fit initially was a bit of a pain, a fair bit of cutting must be made at the back of the canopy. Now the bird has more than a 1/1 thrust ratio, easy to hand-launch and glides in like a treat.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Jan 2009
540 Posts
sounds very enticing.
this december i will finally get around to finishing the installation of a 70mm changesun fan on 4s. i will try the 2800kv motor, and drop down to the 2300 if its straining too much.
i did thrust tests awhile back and saw a 1:1, or slightly higher
RCG Plus Member