SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2014, 02:50 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Apr 2012
39 Posts
Nice looking bird! How much of the fuse did you have to cut off to accommodate the cowl?
radams11 is offline Find More Posts by radams11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2014, 06:12 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
954 Posts
The .61 Escapade continues to amaze me. Am breaking in an NGH GT17 gasser on it. Went to the field this morning. Cold front came through so great for the break-in.

Second flight heard a buzz then the rudder was dangling from the pushrod clevis 200 feet up in the air. Totally separated from the fin. The .61 kept flying like nothing had happened. No trim change. Came in for a normal landing but no ground steering after roll out. Reminded me of a WWII bomber landing with its tail shot off.

Examination of the fin and rudder showed all the CA hinges are still in the fin. None are broken but all are de-laminated. The fuzzy outer layers that accept the thin CA is stripped off leaving only the stiff inner plastic layer sticking out of the fin. The tail wheel wire is pulled out of the rudder but that is understandable considering the total separation of the rudder from the fin.

That is it for me and CA hinges in large fuelers. I have a pack of Robart medium hinge points and they are going to replace the CA hinges in the .61 rudder.

But I am still amazed at how the .61 didn`t even notice it had no rudder. That huge Escapade fin saved the day.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Jul 29, 2014, 06:26 PM
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
Good for you and your plan Bill, I'm glad if something like that is going to happen, it happens in a plane that just likes to fly and therefore live to fly another day. Good point that I should tug on all my CA hinged control surfaces from time to time to make sure they are still attached solidly.
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:24 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
Better to lose your rudder than your elevator. My standard Escapade was flying breaking in my new Evo 10 gasser when the elevator began to flutter and broke the elevator clevis. I was able to slow down a bit and "land" somewhat level, but the Escapade was totaled. Evo 10 survived just fine and it's up and flying in a new Spacewalker II.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
McD, do you think your elevator issue was the hinges delaminated also? How about too much gap in the hinge line? I'm now wondering with another year of age is I need to re-hinge my control surfaces? Typically I use great planes ca hinges, not the ones that come with the plane, but it is a great planes plane.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:22 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
No, the hinges were firmly attached and in perfect shape. The problem was too high air speed for the airframe caused the elevator to flutter. Even with the flutter, the elevator hinges didn't fail, the clevis pin broke off.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 31, 2014, 04:26 PM
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
954 Posts
The saga of my .61 Escapade continues.

Glued the rudder back on, no problem. Took it out yesterday. Three flights, no problem. Still breaking in the NGH GT17 gasser.

Went out this morning. First flight OK. Second flight all of a sudden needed a bunch of left aileron trim. Landed and checked it out. The Sullivan brass clevis on the left aileron pushrod had worn 1/8 inch of thread on the steel pushrod. The clevis was floating back and forth in this 1/8 inch being restrained by good thread front and back so the clevis never left the pushrod.

Came home and replaced the clevis and the pushrod.

The .61 Escapade is rated up to 15cc two stroke. I have been breaking in a 15cc RCGF, 17cc NGH and 20cc DLE on this plane, all gassers. Maybe the 20cc was putting too much strain on the control surfaces. There are a lot of flights on the .61 so it may be normal wear and tear as well.

Anyway, the .61 is a tough old bird. It lives on to fly another day.

Bill
erie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2009
3 Posts
escapade

Hi, I just got a 40 size escapade from great planes. has anyone used a emax 40 on this plane?
wjr334 is offline Find More Posts by wjr334
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:18 AM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
That is what I was running in my Escapade, ran it on a 11x8 prop and a 5 cell battery. 4 cells wouldn't provide enough power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr334 View Post
Hi, I just got a 40 size escapade from great planes. has anyone used a emax 40 on this plane?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:36 AM
United States, NY, Champlain
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr334 View Post
I used a Firepower 60 from Heads Up RC used 13x6.5 and 13x8 with a Skypower 80A esc 4s4000Mah Turnigy. Great performance with 13x6.5 with 7 minute flights, nearly unlimited vertical with the 13x8 but shorter flights .

Dennis
3rd Try is offline Find More Posts by 3rd Try
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
592 Posts
The Escapade it one heavy plane, if I could go back in time and start my build over I'd try to make it as light as possible it would help make landings more manageable if you have a limited space to land in. I beat the crap out of my Escapade for a year, can't believe I never did any structural damage to it, but I retired it this summer, I prefer lighter slower landing planes now.