Old Jul 06, 2016, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by hallo
Joined Feb 2014
1,605 Posts
Discussion
How much time do you spend on maintenance

How much time do you spend on maintenance of your CNC machine?

It takes me about two to tree days to properly clean up my machine and add fresh grease and oil.

I have a recommended schedule from the manufacturer of course but how about you, what's your routine?
hallo is offline Find More Posts by hallo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2016, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by acclivity
United States, CO, Olathe
Joined Apr 2016
601 Posts
Not much. Sometimes change out a bearing or two. A little cleaning here and there.
acclivity is online now Find More Posts by acclivity
Old Jul 06, 2016, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
7,057 Posts
My mill gets taken apart about once a year. I spend about a week doing that as it takes some time to check, clean, and adjust everything. After a messy project it gets cleaned and lubed, maybe several hours for that. For normal projects I usually give it a quick look over, then clean and lube afterward, maybe 10 minutes.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 09, 2016, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by hallo
Joined Feb 2014
1,605 Posts
Ok, thanks.

I guess I'll get the hang of it after a couple of years.
Old Jul 09, 2016, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by kc8qpu
United States, SC, Moore
Joined May 2007
104 Posts
I know you guys are probably referring to hobby grade machines here . However I just went through all this at my work. We make stuff that is extremely precise. With tolerances of +-.005mm. Its small. The machines are very nice but have not had periodic maintenance done in a long time. Well now it has turned into a huge project and has really raised the cost of repairs by 4 times. And more than tripled the time down.

I would suggest that you do all you can to protect your investments. A few hours/ days spent in the long run can potentially be a huge cost savings.
kc8qpu is offline Find More Posts by kc8qpu
Old Jul 09, 2016, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by hallo
Joined Feb 2014
1,605 Posts
Thanks for that, I will keep to the schedule in my manual (which is pretty frequent) and then some.