Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by timewarpped
United States, MI, Ludington
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Discussion
Glue the wing halves on Apprentice 15e?

I'm looking forward to receiving an E-Flite Apprentice 15e in a couple of days. I think I want to glue the wing halves together rather then rely on double faced tape. Does anyone have experience or advise on the idea. I would clean the surfaces with alcohol and use 30 min epoxy.
timewarpped is offline Find More Posts by timewarpped
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2016, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by R2crash
United States, UT, Clearfield
Joined Mar 2014
26 Posts
Apprentice wings - gluing

I've flown my apprentice for nearly 200 flights and my three grandsons have at least that many flights on theirs. I see no reason to glue the wing halves together. What we did was follow the directions - install the carbon wing rod, attach them together using the tape provided in the box(not needed but okay to use if you want to), and attached the front and rear wing covers (item C and D on page 6 of the manual) to the wing. Then, we put some Scotch-brand "Heavy-Duty" packaging tape (from WalMart) on both the top and bottom of the wing, completely covering the wing seam with a 2" strip of it. We've never had a single problem and when (not if) one half of the wing gets damaged, it is very simple to take it apart for repairs. Hope this helps and have fun with this plane - it is a GREAT trainer. r2crash
R2crash is offline Find More Posts by R2crash
Old Mar 15, 2016, 01:34 AM
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Thanks for your input, r2crash. I like the idea of being able to take the wing apart for repairs. I've read the instruction manual on-line but still don't understand, does the tape provided go only under the front and rear wing covers holding the wings together and the covers in place or does the tape go between the wing halves the full width of the wing front to back? It's double sided tape I presume.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 01:46 AM
Find More Posts by JeffinTD
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,772 Posts
On the original Apprentice you epoxied the wings together. The new one comes with two small pieces of two sided tape that go between the halves. There are also two plastic pieces that go on the leading and trailing edges. These have an adhesive strip already installed,'and you peel off covering strip to expose the adhesive part and press them on.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Mar 15, 2016, 02:12 AM
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Got it JeffinTD. Sounds like the wing is held in 4 places. I see the tape between the wings in the manual now. I missed it on the first read through. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by bhbuster
Huntsville, TX.
Joined May 2006
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2crash View Post
I've flown my apprentice for nearly 200 flights and my three grandsons have at least that many flights on theirs. I see no reason to glue the wing halves together. What we did was follow the directions - install the carbon wing rod, attach them together using the tape provided in the box(not needed but okay to use if you want to), and attached the front and rear wing covers (item C and D on page 6 of the manual) to the wing. Then, we put some Scotch-brand "Heavy-Duty" packaging tape (from WalMart) on both the top and bottom of the wing, completely covering the wing seam with a 2" strip of it. We've never had a single problem and when (not if) one half of the wing gets damaged, it is very simple to take it apart for repairs. Hope this helps and have fun with this plane - it is a GREAT trainer. r2crash
I did the same thing. No problems and have just as many flights.
bhbuster is offline Find More Posts by bhbuster
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,840 Posts
The Apprentice is a popular and well regarded plane. Personally I would follow the instructions and assemble it however they say to assemble it. As the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Mar 15, 2016, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by carre55
United Kingdom, England, York
Joined Jul 2013
284 Posts
I Velcro my wings as per a video on YouTube that way u can strip the wings down for storage I also glued a durafly sky mule wing peg in to be a back up no probs after months of flying
carre55 is offline Find More Posts by carre55
Last edited by carre55; Mar 16, 2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by carre55
United Kingdom, England, York
Joined Jul 2013
284 Posts
E-Flite Apprentice wing mod (2 min 27 sec)

Not my video but it works
carre55 is offline Find More Posts by carre55
Old Mar 15, 2016, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by Robert4613
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
1,729 Posts
I've used the 3" wide Gorilla clear tape to keep my two wing halves together...along with making repairs. Works awesome!
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Mar 15, 2016, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by Robert4613
United States, UT, Vernal
Joined Nov 2014
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carre55 View Post
https://youtu.be/ykHjoKAxymU
Not my video but it works
I like that idea. Thanks for sharing?
Robert4613 is offline Find More Posts by Robert4613
Old Mar 15, 2016, 08:28 PM
Joined Dec 2015
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2crash View Post
I'm sticking with r2crash. With a name like that what could possibly go wrong? Besides it's pretty close to factory with just a little added insurance. I don't need the velcro to break the wing down for travel. Looks like a great solution for some. Thanks to all.