New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2015, 03:40 AM
Find More Posts by bcredneck
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined Feb 2014
1,002 Posts
Discussion
Whats the cheapest way to get a glow heli

Ever since i was little ive wanted one and now i have tons of rc stuff but ive never found a used glow heli for a reasonable price everyone ive ever found localy was 15+ years old and "only needs one or 2 parts" for 500+ and the owners cant even tell me what it is.
Seriouslly check cranbook Kijiji right now.there where more this summer

Right now im almost thinkng about the TV 2 from HK but i dont see parts for it and i know there are ways to stick a glow engine in a trex 450/500/600 these would give awsome parts access the 450 would be the worst as there are no conversion kits for it so if i go trex id like to do a 500

But id really just like to find a cheap used or clone heli just to hover around every now and then ill smash my E helis to crap for having fun but i really what one of those 'gas'' powered helis i saw as a kid
bcredneck is offline Find More Posts by bcredneck
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by Brutus1967
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
6,978 Posts
If you want new, AND cheap, go for the TZ50V2, with an ASP 52, an RJX muffler and a set of Carbon RJX blades, and you will have a fuel heli, .50 class, all up for about 300 US$ or even slightly less.

They need some attention as they are not 100% perfect like a Trex, but as long as you cover that, they are absolutely good functioning heli's that have decent quality and an unexpected crashresistance. I can vouch for them.

For these small points of attention, feel free to contact me, they are not hard, but easy to overlook.

Parts are no problem, as long as you contact the manufacturer directly (because HK sometimes needs a few months to re-stock), but HK lists a fair amount of parts, and anything in stock, they deliver quickly.
However, my experience with dealing directly with the manufacturer is positive, and I purchased 2 more of these kits, and an additional load of spares directly from them.

If you want REAL gasoline, instead of the ASP engine, get the rotorstar apache and an ignition, but then you need to put a fair amount of effort in getting it to run decent....
That is the path I took, and I am happy I did so, as I get 40 minutes of flight out of one single tank, with fuel that is cheaper than 0% Nitro, but the road towards succes was long and winding....
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Last edited by Brutus1967; Dec 07, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2015, 02:06 PM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined Feb 2014
1,002 Posts
Oh sorry i put quotes on gas because i thought thats what they ran on when i was a kid.
If i get a 50 size i have a webra ringed .40 i was going to have a friend turn me a head for on his lathe. I know it wont be as powerfull but that thing does 3d on a 50 and i only what to hover or slowly fly this.
Honestly it will spend most of its life on a self looking awsome next to a box with enough parts to keep it alive after they stop makeing them
Old Dec 06, 2015, 07:01 PM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined Feb 2014
1,002 Posts
Yaa the TZ-V2 uses a 10mm main shaft so i can buy readily available trex 600 rotors
Old Dec 07, 2015, 01:32 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
6,978 Posts
In case of the Webra, I would NOT go that way....

First of all, the Webra (even if I did never have much appreciation for them) is a bit of a classic and you are a bit "wasting" such gem for that purpose.

But what is worse: being smaller it needs to be on the top of its game (17KRPM or more) to deliver any useful power anyway, but the gear ratio of most .50 heli's is around 8.5:1 or so.
That means, a rotor spinning at 2000 RPM. And that robs a lot of power, of which the engine does not have much (relative to the application). In the mean time, at 2000 RPM that rotor will be very responsive, but you lack the power to follow up on it.
It would be like an AC cobra with a Yugo engine in only first gear: when you hit throttle it accelerates readily, but only up to 20 mph and that's it....

Would the heli have a ratio of 10:1 or longer, I'd say go ahead, then rotor RPM and available power would be more balanced, and the heli would be nice to fly, albeit a bit noisy and with a nasty highpitched whine.

I'd strongly advise to get a .50, because it is not so much the raw power, but the torque characteristic of a .50 that the gear ratio of this and other .50 heli's is based on. The .40 simply would be a mismatch.

Don't worry about the rotor of that TZ... it has (IMHO) nicer control response than a T-rex ( I find, it is a bit friendlier and less nervous), pretty durable (I crashed it already once, only bent the flybar, which is compatible with both T-Rex and Raptor and many others) and pretty affordable as a complete unit.
Old Dec 07, 2015, 10:29 AM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined Feb 2014
1,002 Posts
ialsohavea super tiger g.60 /.40 or O.S. fp .40 /MAX ringed .40 would any of those work
Old Dec 07, 2015, 01:37 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
6,978 Posts
Nope.... they are all .40's and as such, need to run high RPM to deliver at least some useable power, and that high engine RPM is not really a match with the gearing, as I told you before. The fact that they are all engines of "ancient" design, amplifies the high revving character....

If you are so intent on "saving on the engine" then get an ASP .46, the difference with a .40 is very clearly noticeable.
But for nearly the same money, you have a .52....

Come on, what are we talking about? 50 dollar? 55? Personally, and trust me, I have to work hard for the money too, but I would not think twice and get me any decent .50 rather than messing with unsuitable engines with unsuitable carbs....

But come to think of it, you might get away with a smaller engine, if you would fit for example 550 mm blades (the helicopter kit comes without blades, so you are free to choose blade size).
It will look a bit weird, with a small(ish) main rotor on top, but most likely, you will be able to run higher headspeeds and get a bit more decent flight characteristics out of it.
Maybe that way, you can get away with a .40, bu then the heli will be a bit sluggish, as it will tend to be a bit heavy for the rotordisc.
Last edited by Brutus1967; Dec 07, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2015, 06:21 PM
Canada, BC, Cranbrook
Joined Feb 2014
1,002 Posts
i have ringed .60's as well at this point i may just buy a new engine but i have almost 20 already i just hoped i could get away with using something else the 60's i have turn lower rpms than my .40 collection i had the G.60 and a 15x4R on the luggage rack of a bike last summer it was just as a joke at first but it worked pretty well i ended up burning a gallon before i removed it

Edit i carryed a heat gun and i didnt let it over heat
Old Dec 08, 2015, 10:32 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
6,978 Posts
The other issue is: the motor mount supplied with the kit, is drilled to accept the standard ".50" (approx the .46 to .55 heli-specialized engines).

A .60 simply won't fit, and a .40, most likely also will not fit the pre-drilled motormount....
So, you would have to fabricate your own motormount.

Again, up to you...