New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by Flyswamper
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX9 - not turning off when trainer cord unplugged??

I have a Spektrum DX9 (and quite a few DX4/DX5's that came with RTF kits).

I also have the Phoenix 4 flight sim software. Last night I sat down and upgraded the Phoenix 4 to version 5. Once that had finished, I plugged in the USB-trainer port cord to my Spektrum DX9 and was going to see about messing about in the simulator with one of the new models.

But... the model I had selected on my DX9 was the one for my Penguin which uses a FY-30A flight stabilization device. Because of that I have channel 3 setup for this model to be throttle and that didn't work too well for the sim. So.. I wanted to switch the model selected in the DX9 to the one I have for the Blade 350QX. Somewhere in the process of switching the model I unplugged from the trainer-port on the back of the DX9. I probably did that at an unusual point/spot in the process...not sure really.

But.... its the behaviour that I've seen ever since then that has me concerned. I can do the following consistently/repeatedly...

1) have the DX9 turned off
2) plugin either my ezUHF or the usb->trainer cord for the sim into the back of the DX9
3) Once the plug goes in, the DX9 powers up as you would expect
4) let it power up fully
5) unplug from the trainer port
6) The DX9 stays powered up instead of shutting down

Just yesterday I was flying with my ezUHF setup and it was definitely powering down the DX9 when I unplug from the trainer port. Something clearly happened.

So.... after observing this, I figured well... maybe this is something that got fixed with a recent firmware update. So I goto Spektrum website, login with my ID which has my radio associated with it. Login and download the firmware and voice update for my radio and install them.

Other than having to switch to a different memory card to get the voice install to complete, both installed normally it would seem. but I am still seeing the DX9 stay powered on after the trainer-plug is removed and with the power-switch still in the off position. I am able to power it off by sliding the power switch to on position and then back to off position. It will power-down once I've done this.

Should I be worried? Any pointers as to what's going on, how to correct, etc...?
Flyswamper is offline Find More Posts by Flyswamper
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 10:12 AM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Oh yeah.... other strange thing is that Phoenix sim doesn't see the DX9 as being detected now. It did detect it the first time.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Ok, Had some time to test a few more things. Thought I should plug up the ezUHF transmitter and see if it's working correctly when connected to the DX9.

Unfortunately, it isn't working correctly. After a few moments of the DX9 being connected to the ezUHF transmitter, the ezUHF transmitter starts giving me the beep code (one long, four short) that indicates indicates that the PPM signal from the R/C Tx is not being received.

This seems to fit with the USB-->trainer cable that isn't working with the Flight sim as well. Seems that perhaps something in my DX9 went "kaput" for the trainer port/ppm-out?

The weird thing is that on the 2nd or 3rd time trying with the ezUHF, I now get the DX9 turning off as it should after I unplug from the trainer port. It was VERY consistent behaviour earlier this morning in that it would not turn off when the trainer port plug was pulled.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Guess this is turning into my own personal diagnostic blog..

Anyway...gotta go shopping with the prettier half so can't continue right now. But... it seems the lack of ppm-out through the trainer port is specific to the model that is selected. If I select a different model the DX9 seems to behave and work normally.

Will have to do more testing/checking later, but I'm guessing I can fix by deleting/recreating the model in the DX9 memory that is giving me this weird behaviour.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,481 Posts
Sounds like you should check your Trainer settings in that model.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:03 PM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Ok, back from the shopping trip.

Looked in the trainer settings and here is what I'm finding (which is repeatable).

In order sequence

1) Power off DX9
2) insert a cord/plug into the trainer jack
3) Observe the DX9 powerup (with the model selected already that was giving me trouble)
4) Go into System-setup menu
5) Go into "Trainer" submenu
6) Select "Wired Trainer"
7) Don't change anything, but just hit enter on "List" to get back out of the menu.
8) Hit back button to exit menus
9) Unplug trainer cord
10) Observe the DX9 power down normally
11) Insert plug into trainer jack again
12) Observe DX9 power up
13) Go into same system-setup --> Trainer menu
14) Selected "wireless trainer"
15) Immediately select "List" again to exit the wireless trainer menu
16) push the "back" button to exit all menus
17) unplug trainer-port jack
18) Observe that DX9 remains powered up despite the power switch on the front of the DX9 is in the off position and nothing is plugged into the trainer port/jack

So.... I think I found how to get it working again. But this behaviour isn't what I was expecting. Is this a case of me just needing to read the manual? Or is this abnormal/unexpected behaviour?

The reason I stumbled into this is that I've previously setup the trainer-settings for this particular model (and quite a few others) such that the wireless trainer was configured so I could let my kids/nephews fly my aircraft using other controllers and I could use the DX9 and make sure everything went as planned.

I can see where it might make sense that the trainer-port is completely disabled when the wireless trainer mode is selected. But what surprises me is that it doesn't power down when I unplug from the trainer port...
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Oh... and I still haven't figured out how to get the DX9 communicating correctly with the ezUHF transmitter. When I plug it up, I get the ezUHF giving me the same beep code indicating that it isn't detecting the DX9.

And I flew just yesterday with my ezUHF.....

So I guess I still don't understand what I'm dealing with here.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 06:37 PM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyswamper View Post
Oh... and I still haven't figured out how to get the DX9 communicating correctly with the ezUHF transmitter. When I plug it up, I get the ezUHF giving me the same beep code indicating that it isn't detecting the DX9.
Nevermind...lol... It helps to make sure the trainer/cable is "FULLY" plugged into the ezUHF transmitter.

I'm still surprised by the staying powered on behaviour.... but maybe there is a section in the manual that I need to read and comprehend?
Old May 31, 2015, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by Roundhousekickya
It's just Money.......$$$
Joined Jan 2015
57 Posts
I am having exactly the same problem how did u fix it
Roundhousekickya is offline Find More Posts by Roundhousekickya
Old Jun 02, 2015, 02:42 PM
Joined Jul 2013
190 Posts
If you are talking about the issue of it staying powered on... I'm not sure I ever really figured it out or solved it. Much of this was related to models that I am using ezUHF with and I ended up purchasing and using a Taranis radio as my primary radio for anything where I'm using UHF and long range/fpv systems. I still love/use my DX9, but it is relegated to just the planes in my fleet which are park flyers.
Old Jun 02, 2015, 02:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,481 Posts
The solution is to cycle the front power switch.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by chuck75
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The solution is to cycle the front power switch.

Andy
Is this a hardware or software "feature" ?
Does it extend to the whole series (DX-6-7-9) ?
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Jun 03, 2015, 03:58 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,481 Posts
It goes all the way back to the DX8. It's noted in our database as an anomaly to investigate, but since it is very non-critical and the workaround is simple and most people do it instinctively, to be honest it hasn't gotten looked at in a while.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old May 28, 2016, 01:43 AM
XB
Find More Posts by XB
XB
Going INTO the Wind
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2014
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It goes all the way back to the DX8. It's noted in our database as an anomaly to investigate, but since it is very non-critical and the workaround is simple and most people do it instinctively, to be honest it hasn't gotten looked at in a while.

Andy
Hey Andy,
Anything on the DX9 with DragonLink?
I'm having a trim glitch where for no reason the trims (usually throttle) will just start to move erratically .
Not good in the air, I fly multirotors with Naza-M v2 FC's, the center GPS lock is gone when this occurs.
Yet I get center throttle (single LED flash) while on the ground.

Specs on one of my units:
Tarot 650 Sport Carbon-Fiber Quadcopter Frame w/Retractable Landing Gear
DJI Naza-M V2 Flight Controller w/Mini iOSD
Castle Creations QuadPack 35 ESCís
SunnySky X4112S-11 KV:400 Motors
Tarot T-Motor Style 14x5.5 Carbon Fiber Props
Dragon Link Micro UHF Receiver - Next Gen v3
1.2-1.3GHz LawMate Plus Dual Power 500/1000mW Transmitter V2
VAS/IBCrazy 1.3GHz BluBeam Ultra Mad Mushroom Antenna
Lumenier UBEC High Voltage - Adjustable 6V, 9V, 12V at 5A (14-40V Input)
Camera Positioning Kit (660mm)
FeiYu Tech G3 Ultra 3-Axis Brushless Gimbal
GoPro Hero3+ Black
4S/6S 14.8/22.2 V Lipo Power System

I'm still trying to figure out what may be causing this.
The DX9 is an awesome radio!!
Any ideas would be appreciated!!
XB is offline Find More Posts by XB
Old May 28, 2016, 08:02 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
35,481 Posts
Has Dragonlink fixed their circuit yet? They were still us DC coupling last time I heard about them. Or do you maybe have an old one, if they fixed it?

Andy
Site Sponsor