Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by Downtownhobby
Joined Jan 2014
46 Posts
Question
I want to build a scale rc kit that's easy to fly

I need a reccomandation because I want to build a rc kit that's beginner friendly but also looks good but not like a warbird something relaxing like a super cub or a Cessna 182 but under 250$ with electronics
Downtownhobby is offline Find More Posts by Downtownhobby
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,072 Posts
Welcome to RCG. If building is your thing or something you would like to try, you've come to the right place!

As I'm sure many will echo me on this one, I'd have a look at manzanolaser.com and Pat Trittle's website. Both have a nice selection of short kits produced from top quality wood and both have great service. I've built kits from each. Charlie (manzano) has lots of different kits from different designers and Pat has all his designs.

Any of the small Peter Rake IPS models could easily be built and finished out for less than $250. But if you want more of a civilian plane (and maybe something a little bigger), Pat has a lot of great options.

J. B.
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by TPfingston
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,800 Posts
Downtown, it would also be easier for someone to give you recommendations if we knew a little more about your modelling background, such as experience level and so on. As much as it pains me to say it, an ARF of some kind might be better, depending on your past experience at building/flying.

I can echo what Led Zeppelin had to say about Manzano or Tritle. They both produce excellent short kits but they can be difficult/frustrating if you have never built before. Be aware however, that you can always get a great deal of advice and knowledge here on RCG.
Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
17,155 Posts
First, are you looking for a ready to fly airplane, like a Parkzone or EFlite or do you want a balsa kit?

If you really want a ready to fly type model, then you can stop reading this post.

The previous two posts refer to balsa models that you have to build. And you have to add the electronics (rcvr, servos, esc and motor).

Before looking at our web site (Manzano Laser) need to understand your skill level.

Almost all of our kits require some building skills. No instructions, only plans and some parts. You would also have to provide some wood, sticks and wire. Same with Tritle's kits.

And many of our and Pat's models are not suited for beginner fliers.

I'd recommend you look at Mountain Models or Stevens Aero. Mountain Models has a Dave Blum designed C180 that is very easy to build and fly. It runs on a small outrunner or Feigao geared motor and small LiPo battery. They also have a nice Piper Cub kit. Stevens Aero has a nice Pietenpol Airscout kit.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 18, 2014, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by Alistego
Joined Nov 2007
169 Posts
I'd second Charlie's suggestion to look a Stevens kits. If you're a beginner flyer as well as builder, something like their Buzz 400 would make an ideal first build/trainer. I can honestly say those kits go together perfectly with very complete instructions. The ones I've built came with everything you need except for glue, wheels and covering. Oh they don't come with radio gear either but they do recommend servos etc that drop right into the planes.

In fact, I was just out flying my Stevens Skybuggy 300 with skis off of snow. Great fun!

Dale
Alistego is offline Find More Posts by Alistego
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:22 PM
Find More Posts by rafe_b
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
If you want scale and easy-to-fly, I suggest one of Pat Tritle's kits, or maybe Peter Rake's kits. They're not necessarily easy to build, but Pat's stuff comes in even lighter than Mountain Models or Stevens Aero. That comes at a cost in complexity and build-time. The MM/SA stuff usually goes together easy-peasy and is great for a first time builder or if you just want to end up with a great-flying model without months of build time. (But notice also the MM/SA stuff is mostly non-scale.)
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 02, 2014, 04:22 AM
Find More Posts by aerotony
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtownhobby View Post
I need a reccomandation because I want to build a rc kit that's beginner friendly but also looks good but not like a warbird something relaxing like a super cub or a Cessna 182 but under 250$ with electronics
Downtownhobby,
Anything to report on this issue?
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Feb 02, 2014, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,791 Posts
It's not mentioned in here often but if your a first time builder it's got good instructions and you can probably pull it off for under $250. Great Planes Electric Cub. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNW26&P=0
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Feb 07, 2014, 12:39 AM
Find More Posts by Mannock
Joined Oct 2002
116 Posts
Have a look at this

This Piper Cub looks ideal as a first scale laser cut kit. I haven't tried it, but it looks to be great value at 1.2 meters wingspan and $26!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cowl_KIT_.html
Mannock is offline Find More Posts by Mannock
Last edited by Mannock; Feb 07, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2014, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by maxnew40
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Aug 2013
205 Posts
Mountain Models Cub or L-4. Great design easy build and very forgiving fliers that could be used as an aileron trainer.

-Max
maxnew40 is offline Find More Posts by maxnew40
Old Feb 02, 2016, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by Soufiani
Crash,fly,crash again....
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Mar 2015
131 Posts
You should check out Flitetest
Soufiani is offline Find More Posts by Soufiani
Old Feb 02, 2016, 05:03 PM
IWC
Find More Posts by IWC
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,992 Posts
There are YouTube videos of the Trittle's Porter flying.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Feb 03, 2016, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
14,167 Posts
OP posted request for advice on 1/18, has not responded since.. May have bought a foamie,
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 03, 2016, 02:16 PM
Find More Posts by jonquinn
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,527 Posts
1/18/2014!
Odd that people would feel compelled to bring back this thread and answer questions two years old.

And better yet the OP hasn't been logged on here since October 2014. He could have changed his username, maybe
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old Feb 03, 2016, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by 62pilot
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, Piggott
Joined Aug 2005
2,891 Posts
Goldberg Piper Cub can't be beat for scale and ease of building and trainer like flight. Worth every penny to build and fly as a newbie.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot