Old Feb 09, 2016, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by KillerChaos
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
Discussion
Killer Chaos electric conversion

I just put the first flights on my Bridi Killer Chaos this morning, after 2 weeks of effort.

First off, the Killer Chaos has a 62" wingspan, 57" length, 700 sq. in. of wing area. With the Supre Tigre G90 and long, tuned muffler, the empty weight was 7.5 lbs. 8.25 lbs. fueled. It was a good, fast airplane. But messy.

The new equipment includes a Rimfire .80 brushless motor, Castle Talon 90 ESC, Arm-Safe port, 3-blade 12 x 8 propeller and (initially) an Align 6S 22.2v 5200 mAh 65C LiPo battery. All up weight is now 7 lbs. 4 oz.

I put the first lights on it this morning and I am ecstatic. The performance is the same as the nitro setup and the battery checked out at 71% capacity remaining after 5 minutes flights, including aggressive aerobatics. And, everything runs lukewarm!

I plan to replace the 5200 mAh battery with some Pulse 3300 mAh 65C batteries, thus saving another 7 ounces of weight, yet will probably be able to safely pull 6 or 7 minute flights.

It might be hard to see in the photo, but the motor is now fully cowled.

Some photos attached:
KillerChaos is offline Find More Posts by KillerChaos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2016, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Mar 2013
237 Posts
Woot!

Go 3000 MAH and get it under 7 pounds!
numb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
Old Feb 13, 2016, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
2,046 Posts
Nice, good job!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!

I have 7 flights on the electric Chaos now and I remain very, very happy with it. On the 7th flight, I pulled it into vertical while applying full throttle. It darned near went out of sight! It gives up nothing to the old .90 nitro system.

My 2 new Ultra-Pulse 6S 22.2v 3300 mAh batteries arrived a few days ago, but it's been way too windy to try them out. At least I was able to weigh them. The weight reduction will be an even 8 ounces.
So, the airplane will weigh in at 6 lbs. 12 ounces, ready to fly.

Next flight will be interesting with the lighter weight and new 13 x 8 3-blade prop (up from the 12 x 8 3-blade).
Old Feb 20, 2016, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by TBolt
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined May 2004
5,725 Posts
She looks sweet.
I have a Nice Utter Kaos that dates back to the early 90's that I need to convert to E-power. I may even make a dummy tuned pipe.
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
The winds finally let up last week, so I got in 3 flights with my new Ultra Pulse 6S 3300 mAh 65C batteries and new 3-blade 13 x 8 propeller.

Results were all good. Motor, ESC and batteries still run lukewarm. Since these were the first flights with the new batteries and new prop, I limited them to 5 minutes each. And I really wrung out the airplane. Capacity remaining was 45% to 61% each time. So, I can probably safely bump up the flight times to 6 minutes or so.

The ready-to-fly weight is now under 7 pounds!

Also, I finally got around to installing the stock canopy, along with a homemade cockpit:
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Mar 2013
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerChaos View Post

Also, I finally got around to installing the stock canopy, along with a homemade cockpit:
Oh that looks really good that way! Great job all around!
numb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:46 PM
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
Thanks!

I am so happy with my Chaos conversion that I am now in the process of converting my Top Flite Contender to electric. I'm using the same system as in the Chaos: Rimfire .80, 6S 3300 mAh battery and Castle Talon 90 ESC.

I got the motor installed yesterday. Tight fit, so out came the Dremel Tool for the second time.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,266 Posts
Love your three blade prop what kind and size? Waiting to maiden my killer I just built as well.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 25, 2016, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Onward and upward.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
2,046 Posts
These electric powered pattern ships look awesome!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Feb 25, 2016, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
5,266 Posts
I think so but don't tell that to the guys in the classic pattern section. Tuff crowd.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
Love your three blade prop what kind and size? Waiting to maiden my killer I just built as well.
First flights were with a 3-blade Master Airscrew 12 x 8. I'm now running a 3-blade Master Airscrew 13 x 8.

The motor, ESC and battery are still running lukewarm, so I think the system can still pull a bit bigger propeller. Perhaps a 14 x 8 or maybe a 13 x 9, although I probably won't bother. Not even sure those prop sizes are available. My Killer Chaos performs real well with the 13 x 8 and everything runs cool. What could be better than that?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 08:49 PM
Joined Jul 2011
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
I think so but don't tell that to the guys in the classic pattern section. Tuff crowd.
I ran nitro for decades, so I came from the so-called tuff crowd. Heh!

Meanwhile, my newly converted Killer Chaos performs every bit as well as when it had my modified (big-bore Perry carburetor; Perry fuel pump; long tuned muffler) Super Tigre G.90 installed. My Rimfire .80 powered Killer Chaos performs just as well, and that includes vertical climbs.

The only thing I miss is the smell of nitro in the morning. Heh!