Old Dec 01, 2015, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by metalwizard
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
935 Posts
Help!
Turnigy 9xr pro HELP

Ok I decided to pull the trigger during black friday sale and buy the Turnigy 9xr pro.

I got my TX module.. got that figured out..

went here
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5575

to start learning how to program this thing..

a little confusing at first..

but im catching on..

got it programmed so far for the first 6 channels.

1 throttle
2 Aileron 1
3 Elevator
4 Rudder
5 Aileron 2
6 Elevator 2

I programmed channels 5 and 6 in menu 5/15 "Mixer" menu.. so far so good.

Now I want to set up a channel (probably 7) to my Gear... there is a switch marked GEAR so I figure I'll use that (for now.. although its in the wrong place for whatI am used to)

so do i program this in the smae mixer menu??

step by step would be awesome if anyone can help!!

second question.. not as important but in the mixer menus there is the options of "WEIGHT" what the heck does that mean??

thanks in advance!
metalwizard is offline Find More Posts by metalwizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2015, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
935 Posts
no one?? any ideas?? I still cant figure it out
Old Dec 03, 2015, 10:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
935 Posts
man im starting to think this was a bad idea.. does anyone else have this radio??
Old Dec 03, 2015, 12:55 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,797 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply, but I missed your questions the first time. I hope the following gets you off on the right track. It sounds as though you're finding your way around pretty well.

To set up switch on channel 7, simply set up a mix with FULL as the source, 100 as weight and the switch you want to use to control it (for example GEA if you want the one marked GEAR on the Tx, or ELE if you want to use the Ele D/R switch.)

Weight is just the magnitude of the mix. If you wanted a switch to go from -50 to 50 you would choose weight 50. If you want it to go from 0 to 75, you would pick HALF as source and 75 as weight. Negative weight reverses the mix (but for most purposes it's better to go to the Limits menu and choose INV for that channel). Likewise, for most purposes it's better to leave weight at 100 and set limits for that channel to restrict servo motion.

Note, I'm assuming you are using the stock firmware. Upgrades offer quicker ways to set up a switch, but the way above works on any version.

Don't hesitate to come back with questions.

By the way, in addition to the manuals in the link you cite (especially "Ersk9x Explained") you might find the new manual for the ER9X firmware helpful:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

ER9X and Ersky9x are very closely related, though they support different hardware. There are lots of good explanations and examples in the ER9X manual.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Dec 03, 2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2015, 06:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
935 Posts
AWESOME...

I was getting worried for a min there!

I will try that out.. for some reason I dont remember seeing a "GEA" for an option.. hence my question.. but i wll look deeper.

If I upgrade my firmware will I loose what I have programmed so far?? or should I try and put it on a card first??

I will say this for the price I paid im totally happy but this sucker is a bit confusing.. LOL im sure in time it will all make sense but for know I think the DX18 was easier to program! I loved how you could set it up for dual ail dual rudder dual flaps etc right from the start!

anyways thanks again for the input..
Old Dec 03, 2015, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
19,797 Posts
GEA is just a bit further down the list.

Upgrading should be done using the eepskye program, which enables you to back up your models (and do programming on the computer). Upgrading should not affect existing models (though they should be checked carefully) but things can go wrong (usually as a result of user error!) so always save a backup first.

The open source firmwares demand that you think carefully about what you want them to do, rather than giving you pre-configured solutions. So there's a bit more of a learning curve than with say a DX9. But once you get it, the programming of the 9XR Pro is really easy.

I make a basic model with all the provisions I normally use (D/R, expo, timers, mixes, etc.) then make a copy for a new model and tweak as necessary.

I responded to your PM.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 04, 2015, 01:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
935 Posts
thanks so much!
Old Dec 09, 2015, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
935 Posts
Ok got the "GEAR" figured out..

Man this is confusing going from a DX black to this..