New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,727 Posts
DD, the stats on that motor say it is maxed out on 3 cells at 375 watts. Is your set up surviving a 4 cell, 35 amp esc because you only use it for short bursts?
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Electric
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
Yes, 3~4 seconds is all you need. The motor doesn't even get warm. The Kunai weighs so little it accelerates very fast on 4s and 9x7 lol. It will get pretty far in a half dozen seconds.

Since the burst rating on a Talon 35 is over 50A, it too doesn't notice the power jump. The whole system is balanced for the type of flying the Kunai is made for.
DeadstickDuck is offline Find More Posts by DeadstickDuck
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Feb 10, 2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:52 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
The Hyperion and Cobra motors have been running flawlessly at these high burst power loads. The Kunai gets on deck fast enough to let the prop unload and that helps drop the current the last second or two. By that time you're up to where you cut off.

With the Cobra 2221-12 and 9x7 on board it starts the climb at 550w and within a second is up on deck, the prop bites and you accelerate forward with the prop starting to unload, reaching 460w avg. power at full speed going straight up verticle.

The power can be felt, it's like being sling shot.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Feb 10, 2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 10:20 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
Sorry for being long winded.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 05:13 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
1,554 Posts
Speaking of the CC Talon ESC's, I wonder if its possible to make up a small male servo pigtail to tie into the ESC's servo connector and have it available to plug into CC's programmer card to read the ESC data of a couple of flights with having to pull the wings to unplug the ESC servo lead of the Kunai each time to access the original one? I could tie a small piece of string to it, tape the string to the side of the fuse at the lateral air exit holes of the fuse.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Feb 10, 2016, 09:51 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
Sounds like you could cut the ESC radio lead in half, where there is enough length to plug it back into the portion going back to the Rx, and also long enough to plug in, say a 12in extension to use for the program card.

Curious, what do you mean by reading a few flight's data off the Talon? All my data is gathered using a stripped-down Edge50 ESC that has data logging. Once we have the power reading from several flights it is then I swap out the Edge50 for the lighter Talon35.

The Edge50 weighs am extra ounce so in fact, the Kunai is faster with the Talon35 onboard since all the data is at a higher weight.......but seriously, a 550w Kunai at 25oz most likely flies the same as a 24oz one.... Just Plain Naughty.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Feb 10, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by leadpan
United States, CA, Eastvale
Joined Sep 2007
849 Posts
Is this a good deal? (free shipping)

GREAT PLANES Kunai 1.4M EP Sport Glider ARF w/Motor GPMA1815
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GREAT-PLAN...mnopqrstuvwxyz
leadpan is offline Find More Posts by leadpan
Old Feb 10, 2016, 03:36 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
Ya, that's pretty good.

$129.99 is normal and there isn't always free S&H.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tharr62
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
Well.. tomorrow is the first flight on this plane. LOL. Also, the first time using a Jeti DS-16 radio. Should be interesting. I basically programmed three flight modes..

- Low Rates (about 50%) of the recommended throws in the manual, with some expo

- High Rates (about what the manual says max.), with some expo

- Landing - motor is cut, and ailerons come up (spoil the lift)

I had also added a Aileron to rudder mix to a free switch to help with turns, and to make some things easy (I hope).

I don't really have any expectations, just hope I can control it okay and that it does not crash! I have the CG right at 70mm.
Tharr62 is offline Find More Posts by Tharr62
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:04 PM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
Good luck and share your thoughts.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 04:45 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
Weird.. The ESC needs the throttle above 50% to arm. Then, works as normal?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 05:27 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
1,554 Posts
Isnt that normal for the ESC that comes with the RR model? Think its a safety feature built into the ESC programming. Throttle up, then down and then it arms? Maybe it needs it end points cailbrated? Check the manual.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
Old Feb 11, 2016, 05:58 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
The stock ESC requires you to go through the same startup routine Every battery change. This is a "safety"...aka annoying feature that assures the motor does not power up when the battery is plugged in, pretty much think of it as the ESC does not remember endpoints, which is another word for basic/linear BEC Elcheepo stock ESC.

Down throttle
Plug in battery and hear beep or beeps
Full up throttle and beep
Full down throttle and final setup chime
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:09 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,117 Posts
First Flight / Thoughts

First..

Quote:
The stock ESC requires you to go through the same startup routine Every battery change. This is a "safety"...aka annoying feature that assures the motor does not power up when the battery is plugged in, pretty much think of it as the ESC does not remember endpoints, which is another word for basic/linear BEC Elcheepo stock ESC.

Down throttle
Plug in battery and hear beep or beeps
Full up throttle and beep
Full down throttle and final setup chime
Let me just THANK YOU for that. I got this post as I was driving up to the flying field! So.. good timing

Now, this morning was cool around 55F, and wind was around 10mph. I took 4 TP1350 3S 25C packs with me (fits perfect in the canopy, and is CG'ed for this).

First launch.. incredible. Straight as an arrow, right up. The plane instantly was predictable, and showed absolutely no bad signs in the air what-so-ever. It was on rails the entire time.

Smart on me to have the different flight modes with high / low rates as this proved to be useful (high rates, for quick rolls, and landing aid at low speed, and the low rate was great for general flying). The plane was actually very relaxing to fly, and I had no issues landing it at my feet at all with a spoiler mix, which was also aided with a aileron to rudder mix. This, with the high rates made for very easy landings.

Yeah, this is an instant favorite, and win. A HUGE value at the price point too. Taking my time to build correctly was rewarded with a nice flying plane.

However...

I felt the flying experience to be.. somewhat static. What I mean, is that it really was not super powerful (with the current stock setup), and... it really is not a thermal sailplane. So, while it kinda dips into each of the styles of flying (warm liner / sailplane) it does neither of them exceptional well. What is DOES do exceptionally well.. is offer a fun flying experience to break up all the slow flying I would be doing with a pure thermal sailplane (like my Pulsar for example) It kinda "spices" things up, by doing some fast passes, and nice dives, etc.

At the end of the day (or in this case x4 packs) I left feeling satisfied with the plane.. but, wanting more from the performance side. I would need something more to get me to want to drive 45min to the flying field to fly only this. I think "as is" would be a nice tag along plane, where I was going to be flying ALL DAY with my thermal planes.. and then whip this out for a few min.. but thats about it. (in the current setup)

Now.. if I changed the setup, and got more horse power.. then.. perhaps I would feel a little different BUT.. I bought this to "test the waters" of a warm liner before I bought something really nice like a 2.5M Tomcat or Typhoon. (carbon plane). I wanted to prove to myself that I can handle a plane that was not a "floater", and more so that I would enjoy it.

The Kunai did just that.

Some other little "nit picks" that I don't care for..

- I don't care for the linkage system on the plane.. and would want to research some better options out there. I use this on my Pulsar, and would want to see about that as a nice upgrade: http://www.espritmodel.com/control-h...ace-m3-10.aspx

- The covering (subjective I know), and a personal taste.. I would want to build up another one, and cover it myself in a different color.

- Hatch magnet is really weak. I would want to replace with a much stronger one, so that I don't have to use any tape :-)

So, where to go from here?

I could keep the existing plane, and upgrade the motor, ESC, prop, and batteries (25C the volts sagged bad under power.. so, I think I would need something close to 70C to keep that inline) I set my transmitter to 11.4V as a warning.. and every time I punched the throttle, it would dip down to 10.8 / .6 ish and trigger the alarm. Once off, and gliding the volts snapped back.. but, still.. this is not too good LOL. The 25C packs are better in the Radian, with less draw on them.

Anyway, I don't know.. on the other hand I could take the cash I would use to "upgrade" this, and put towards the nice carbon plane (Tom Cat) that I want.. and then, sell this Kunai to a local friend etc. I would have to assume that the Tom Cat, or the Typhoon would fly just as well (if not better) then this did today, and that being the case I would much prefer that plane, and would be more justified to make the effort, and drive to the flying field to flying something like that!

For me to keep the Kunai, means that I really need to order the KIT, and build it up exactly as I want.. and this would be pretty costly in the end... and part of me feels like that should go into another plane I have had my heart set on.

I am torn... not sure how I want to proceed to be honest.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:04 AM
Electric
Joined Oct 2009
2,645 Posts
Woot! Great to hear it was on rails!

Sell it.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Feb 11, 2016 at 11:04 AM.