Old Jan 08, 2016, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by Andy2No
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster1000 View Post
Do you guys have any issues with "cogging" on the brushless version.

... A great truck, but trying to drive slowly in a small area is not smooth.
Yes. I got the brushless rally, then converted it to brushed, because of that, then replaced the stock electronics with a separate Rx and ESC, and 1s lipo, to get rid of the annoying delay when switching from forwards to reverse.... I only wanted to drive it around inside, in limited space, so having it set up as a race car didn't suit me at all.

Then I added some magnets to mess with the field strength of the Losi brushed motor, to slow it down a bit more. Lower gearing would have been better, but that sort of works.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by zuggzugg
Joined Dec 2015
30 Posts
Chassis upgrade

Hi guys!

I'm looking to upgrade my chassis and I was looking at the exotech v2 chassis. Is that one still pretty good? I'm curious on how dirty the gears might get with it since they are exposed compared to on a the stock chassis. I don't plan to run it in dirt or anything but it still has me wondering.

Anyone have any other suggestions on a chassis?

Thanks!
zuggzugg is offline Find More Posts by zuggzugg
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Brake Weight
Joined May 2015
767 Posts
The Losi 1/24-scale 4WD Micro SCT and Rally Car

I recently carved this out of an old junk wire tray cover I found at work. That's about 4 minutes of work with a pocket knife and another 2 minutes using a jeweler's hand drill. I did it to see how hard it'd really be vs. buying one. It wasn't hard at all. Now I'm considering buying a small square of carbon fiber to do better on.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452883967.751072.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 165.8 KB
Description:

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452884279.251461.jpg
Views: 19
Size: 140.6 KB
Description:

Mounting the electronics won't be bad either, but the steering would need to be addressed. I saw a ready built chassis somewhere on the internet that has a bell crank setup and very little slip or height induced toe issues.
Brake Weight is online now Find More Posts by Brake Weight
Old Jan 15, 2016, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2015
30 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the exotek v2. Found it pretty cheap on ebay.

In my research I did see that there are bell cranks on shapeways for both the sct and micro t.

I think those bellcranks are compatible with the exotek chassis. I'm more interested in trying one for my Micro-T.

My SCT just got aluminium knuckles/hub upgrade and I have some dubros to install for the steering links. The bundle I got with the aluminum parts came with some delrim 3r steering links. One set of each toe setting. I'm using those until they break, then I'll put the dubros on.

I also just upgraded the servo to an SM22. I did have to modify the stock chassis to allow clearance. I shouldn't have this issue with the exotek case, right?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2015
30 Posts
Clicking sound during acceleration after chassis upgrade

Hi guys!

I installed my new Exotek V2 chassis on my Micro SCTE last night. The instructions said that in rare cases the spur gear would be installed "incorrectly" and rub against the motor mount. So of course, that ends up being the case for me. Halfway through the install I have to read up on how to adjust that.

I get that adjusted and moved slightly back a few mm, keeping the pin still in the flat area of the shaft. Then I get the shaft back into the transmission and back together.

I finally get the gear mesh set up and everything else installed. Go to start doing some light testing and I notice there is a clicking sound. No idea what it is. It did not make this sound before taking it all apart. /facepalm. It seems to roll alright without the clicking sound and when I turn the wheels, it feels smooth.

I recorded a video. Any ideas as to where to start looking?

Losi Micro SCTE clicking sound during acceleration (0 min 29 sec)
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:08 AM
Joined May 2015
767 Posts
Gear mesh too tight?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:58 AM
Joined Dec 2015
30 Posts
It doesn't seem too tight. There is a tiny bit of play when I rock the spur gear back and forth. I can check again. I also used the paper trick to set the mesh so that's why I didn't think it to be the mesh.

At this point it's making me salty, getting the new build all set up and now I have this issue. lol sigh
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:22 PM
Joined May 2015
767 Posts
Have you opened up the diffs? Mine was real tight after I had done some tinkering with the car. I had pulled the shaft out and when I put it in the little washer was pushed beside the bearing.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
11,260 Posts
Something is definately rubbing something someplace.... The trick is figuring out where...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 22, 2016, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2015
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Have you opened up the diffs? Mine was real tight after I had done some tinkering with the car. I had pulled the shaft out and when I put it in the little washer was pushed beside the bearing.
I opened the back one briefly when I had to readjust the spur gear. Then I realized I didn't need to open it after finding out that I can just pull the main drive shaft out. So I sealed it back up.

I think I might have fixed it though. I went home for lunch and played with the gear mesh some more. The car rolls quietly and smoothly when the motor is not meshed. I had done the paper trick for setting the mesh and I did feel a bit of play. I guess maybe it wasn't enough? I was able to hold the motor in place by hand and got it to sound quiet. The motor mount on the Exotek is just a bit fiddly so I'm thinking that it maybe moved slightly as I was tightening it.

I also might have to fiddle with the slipper a bit but I dont think that would cause that clicky sound. Felt like there was a bump or some type of hitch when I would spin the tires. Again, only when the motor was meshed up tho.

I'm going to set up my rcp track and do some actual driving with it once I get home tonight.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 08:04 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,910 Posts
Setting the mesh with paper is normally for larger models - maybe cigarette paper would be okay for these, I'm not sure. I just set mine by feel, and checking I could see some movement when I rocked the spur backwards and forwards.

I guess if there's too much play, there's a chance of grinding off the tips of teeth
Old Jan 23, 2016, 08:07 AM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,910 Posts
Maybe the motor shaft is at a slight angle to the shaft the spur rotates on?
Old Jan 23, 2016, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
11,260 Posts
Or an out of round spur. ...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 23, 2016, 05:04 PM
Find More Posts by alexone85
Joined Jan 2016
1 Posts
This is my Losi Micro SCTE 1/24

alexone85 is offline Find More Posts by alexone85
Old Mar 22, 2016, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2015
767 Posts
The Losi 1/24-scale 4WD Micro SCT and Rally Car

I'm hacking up this body to put onto one of my Micros. The wheels will poke so I'm having to cut really tall wheel wells. It may be a lost cause, but I'll beat it for a little while. I'll be mounting it to the chassis I cut out and posted a few posts up using the big ECX monster wheels/tires.