HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Slovakia
Joined Nov 2010
1,183 Posts
POI Orbit

Hi guys,
I kind of like autonomous orbit or POI (Point Of Interest) orbit feature that some more advanced controllers have. I am not sure if I am the first one with this idea, maybe not, but one day I was thinking that if I preset certain fixed values for pitch, roll and yaw in my transmitter, then Naza with its altitude hold could nicely make a circle pointing its face to the center of the circle. So I tried that and it actually worked quite nicely.

Here is my first try. It is not perfect but good enough for the first try. My settings are in the description of the video. I think I should lower the roll gain from 40% to some 30% or so, because I think it circles too fast....

Autonomous Orbit Demo (2 min 13 sec)


I wanted it because when I try to do an orbit manually, it is not very good, it is not smooth. I think with some more tweaking it could really mimic POI Orbit

Enjoy!
alek3d is online now Find More Posts by alek3d
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:44 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,218 Posts
I'm With You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
OK, I'll make a pitch again for using "HELI" rather than "ACRO" setup with a Spektrum TX. It is trivially easy to use the "pitch" channel for the "U" input, and set the three normal pitch curves to be constant (that is, flat and independent of throttle stick position) at the values needed for MAN, ATTI and GPS, and the "hold" pitch curve to the value needed for failsafe. No mixers needed, no subtrims needed, no endpoint setting needed.
I've always flown in Heli mode.
I'm actually uncomfortable giving advice for Arco setups because I don't have first hand experience...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2V High Aerials
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:50 PM
DJI and Empire Support
T J Gilbert's Avatar
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,218 Posts
@alek3d

Most interesting thing I've seen done in a while.
If you get it refined to a tighter circle, keep us all posted!
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: P2V High Aerials
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:03 PM
Registered User
tkeeg's Avatar
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
789 Posts
A new Nano Copter

A friend sent me this link about a new, self video, Nano Copter coming to market early next year. It streams video to your smart phone or tablet and it supposedly does not require a remote control transmitter as it responds to voice commands & uses a "follow me" feature.
http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/prod...cam-photos.htm
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
Registered User
tkeeg's Avatar
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Hi guys,
I kind of like autonomous orbit or POI (Point Of Interest) orbit feature that some more advanced controllers have. I am not sure if I am the first one with this idea, maybe not, but one day I was thinking that if I preset certain fixed values for pitch, roll and yaw in my transmitter, then Naza with its altitude hold could nicely make a circle pointing its face to the center of the circle. So I tried that and it actually worked quite nicely.

Here is my first try. It is not perfect but good enough for the first try. My settings are in the description of the video. I think I should lower the roll gain from 40% to some 30% or so, because I think it circles too fast....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFA804f4zY

I wanted it because when I try to do an orbit manually, it is not very good, it is not smooth. I think with some more tweaking it could really mimic POI Orbit

Enjoy!
Great idea!
I use a switch with a preset yaw to slowly turn my quad for panoramic photos, but never thought of setting the mix that you did for the POI orbit.
Thanks for posting your idea!
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:47 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend View Post
OK, I'll make a pitch again for using "HELI" rather than "ACRO" setup with a Spektrum TX. It is trivially easy to use the "pitch" channel for the "U" input, and set the three normal pitch curves to be constant (that is, flat and independent of throttle stick position) at the values needed for MAN, ATTI and GPS, and the "hold" pitch curve to the value needed for failsafe. No mixers needed, no subtrims needed, no endpoint setting needed.
Mine are set up in ACRO and I use Aux 1 plugged into the U channel for FMode. My gear is for failsafe and my Aux 2 is for IOC.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:55 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
kallend's Avatar
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Mine are set up in ACRO and I use Aux 1 plugged into the U channel for FMode. My gear is for failsafe and my Aux 2 is for IOC.
That's how I did mine at first. Then changed to the way I described as it seemed a more elegant solution.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:32 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2009
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Most interesting thing I've seen done in a while.
If you get it refined to a tighter circle, keep us all posted!
I like it! Can you share the basic values and directions as a quick start?
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:14 AM
Custom quad builder
tech69x's Avatar
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alek3d View Post
Hi guys,
I kind of like autonomous orbit or POI (Point Of Interest) orbit feature that some more advanced controllers have. I am not sure if I am the first one with this idea, maybe not, but one day I was thinking that if I preset certain fixed values for pitch, roll and yaw in my transmitter, then Naza with its altitude hold could nicely make a circle pointing its face to the center of the circle. So I tried that and it actually worked quite nicely.

Here is my first try. It is not perfect but good enough for the first try. My settings are in the description of the video. I think I should lower the roll gain from 40% to some 30% or so, because I think it circles too fast....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFA804f4zY

I wanted it because when I try to do an orbit manually, it is not very good, it is not smooth. I think with some more tweaking it could really mimic POI Orbit

Enjoy!
Very nicely done
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:17 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Norwich
Joined Jun 2004
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I've always flown in Heli mode.
I'm actually uncomfortable giving advice for Arco setups because I don't have first hand experience...
Shock ......horror.....RT*M .........??
jetstuff is offline Find More Posts by jetstuff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:48 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Mine are set up in ACRO and I use Aux 1 plugged into the U channel for FMode. My gear is for failsafe and my Aux 2 is for IOC.
Is there a mix you set up to use Gear for fail safe? IE Gear to Aux 1?
If Aux1 is plugged into U then I do not know how to use Gear for Failsafe.
Just Learning.
Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:32 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
850 Posts
Very cool, can you post details of the steps necessary to accomplish the orbit. Also could the orbit be made a tighter circle and slower?
hoggdoc is online now Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:14 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818134
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 AM
Registered User
lakis21's Avatar
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Nikiti
Joined Dec 2006
249 Posts
Hello anyone tried any of those on a f550?
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...4&productname=
or
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...4&productname=

Are they balanced?
Thanks in advance !
lakis21 is online now Find More Posts by lakis21
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:30 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,045 Posts
You know that you can manually set a new home point while flying? Then go out 10 meters from that new home point and and activate Home Lock. Rotate the copter to the face the HP and then rotate with your aileron stick. I have not tried this yet, but in theory and as stated in the manual it should work.

NOTE OF CAUTION!!!!! When you set the new Home Point, if you go to failsafe, that is the point it will return to. Just an FYI. Do don't blame me if something happens.
Tahoe Ed is online now Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product DJI WooKong-M Autopilot System for multirotors **Owners Thread** DJI INNOVATIONS Multirotor Electronics 19720 Today 12:42 AM
New Product MultiWiiCopter "MiniWii" FC - Cheap, small 6DOF FC JussiH Multirotor Talk 707 Jan 01, 2013 08:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 11:43 AM
New Product United Hobbies FC 28-05 & FC 28-22 brushless outrunners $5.95 ea. JawaSnack Hot Online Deals 9 Jul 17, 2007 10:31 AM
Futaba FC-18 teacher to FC-16 pupil problem . jmquetin Radios 5 Nov 02, 2004 06:48 AM