SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2015, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by arasdaddy
Glendale, CA
Joined Sep 2006
32 Posts
Discussion
Need HELP with sail boat.

HI. I just picked up a sail boat (used) without any electronics. I have been in the RC hobby for years but never had an interest in boats, till this weekend, (actually my eight year-old son). I walked into my neighbor hood hobby shop to look into boats and I saw a beautiful sail boat, and my son talked me into buying it. Now I have a used Spirit 70 Sail boat with no electronics and need help. HELP, PLEASE!!!
arasdaddy is online now Find More Posts by arasdaddy
Last edited by arasdaddy; Jul 15, 2015 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,685 Posts
Is this it?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-s...-equipage.html

and

http://www2.ripmax.net/Item.aspx?Ite...ry=050-010-020
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Jul 17, 2015, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,423 Posts
O bugger...

Hi Daddy,

If it's indeed the boat bbbp linked to, it's a pity you didn't consult this forum prior to purchasing it.

It looks very nice, but the sailing properties are, how shall I put it, moderate at best.
The window it'll sail in is rather small; no wind to speak of and it'll barely move (heavy stiff sails), a bit of a puff and it'll lay on its side taking on water.

I've seen this one in the modelshop and a larger 1M version on the water, we had to rescue the latter as it was sinking on it's first outing.

These boats look great on the mantelpiece.

Sure, a skilled RC sailor will be able to modify and adapt this boat so it stays afloat and the radio gear operates on both jib and mainsail, making it at least sail as intended, but out of the box these boats are horrible, not worth the money.

If you can return it to the shop, that would be my recommendation.

Save up for something decent that will make your son enjoy model sailing.

If returning isn't an option, please show us as many pictures as possible, general overview, details, the lot.
We can take a look and advice you how to proceed.

If your boat is of a later production date, it may be workable, the first batch was terrible:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798708

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; Jul 17, 2015 at 01:37 PM.