New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,059 Posts
20 Landings\ touch and goes, winds variable 7mph to 10mph with gusts over 14mph.

This was supposed to be just a warm up first flight of the day but decided to post it.

Landing that popped the landing piston out of sleeve 8:08, just popped it back in and continued.

I think on a clam day I can get in 30, flew more flights but didn't run the Mobius, gusty shifting winds made it a fun day.
Multiplex PC-6 Pilatus Porter @ Toth 2Aug15 (11 min 49 sec)

At the end of the video I show where and how I place the battery, wind speed readings.
Jeff.......................
SeeMeDo is offline Find More Posts by SeeMeDo
Last edited by SeeMeDo; Today at 05:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by Clive66
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMeDo View Post
20 Landings\ touch and goes, winds variable 7mph to 10mph with gusts over 14mph.

Jeff.......................

WOW, what a nice big runway you have.
I wish i had that luxury.
Most of my flying is done off a dirt road, which is where i will be flying the Porter tomorrow morning.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,059 Posts
We can only use this field on the weekends and holidays, but it is very nice.
Jeff...............
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Find More Posts by Papangue
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
77 Posts
Hi, could we have a picture of this mod ? (TwistedGrin, Clive66, landing gear, 1279, 1280) - many thanks !
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Obsession, not a hobby
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2013
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
Leading edge slats or slots are an interesting idea, but sizing & positioning them correct on the Porter may be a challenge (also, may have a negative affect at higher speeds with the Porter).

A friend had the Maxford Storch with variable slats which varied with the flaps (that didn't work out at all).
It flew OK once he made the slats stationary.
I don't even know why Maxford made the slats variable in the first place (the real Storch doesn't use variable slats)
The Germans tried variables on one experimental Storch (didn't work out & never went into production)

Many years ago, a friend had a real, low wing French Rallye.
It had mechanical slats that deployed automatically when it needed more lift.
The first time they popped out when i was with him, scared the hell out me when they banged against the stops (i didn't know it had them)
I wouldn't bother with Slats on a small foam model plane. Slots, however, I think would be perfect for the Mpx Pilatus, and easy enough to create. I wouldn't fly this plane fast. I have "need for speed" planes already.
T.A.Z is online now Find More Posts by T.A.Z
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM
Joined May 2011
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Z View Post
I wouldn't bother with Slats on a small foam model plane. Slots, however, I think would be perfect for the Mpx Pilatus, and easy enough to create. I wouldn't fly this plane fast. I have "need for speed" planes already.
Buy the Porter, do that & report back
I will be waiting to hear the outcome.

Actually, i'm considering going with a little smaller prop on the Porter or i might try a Master 10x5 3 blade on it.

Like you, i already have fast planes & this one doesn't need near the speed it has stock.
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by ST_Bob
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
1,315 Posts
A 9 by 7 3-blade is what I used. Going from a 10 by 5.5 you want more pitch and less diameter. The 9 by 7 is a little less power-hungry and you might lose a little vertical ability but it gives you more ground clearance and didn't seem to affect flight times.
ST_Bob is online now Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2011
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
Hi, could we have a picture of this mod ? (TwistedGrin, Clive66, landing gear, 1279, 1280) - many thanks !
No pic to post (it's already done)
If i took a pic now. it would look the same as a pic of a new, unbroken one.

TwistedGrin explained it pretty good.
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
Joined May 2011
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob View Post
A 9 by 7 3-blade is what I used. Going from a 10 by 5.5 you want more pitch and less diameter. The 9 by 7 is a little less power-hungry and you might lose a little vertical ability but it gives you more ground clearance and didn't seem to affect flight times.
The stock prop is an APC 11 x 5.5
I want to reduce the top speed some. so i don't want a 7 pitch prop.

I will probably order the 10 x 5 3 blade & give it a try.
I have a 2 inch 3 blade spinner that should work fine.
The stock spinner is a 1.75, but i've had no luck finding a 3 blade 1.75 spinner
The 2 inch should look fine. because the stock one is smaller than the nose of the plane.

Actually, i was wanting a 10 x 6 3 blade prop, but i couldn't find one.
Last edited by Clive66; Yesterday at 03:31 PM.
Old Today, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
514 Posts
Actually, I was the one who had the Vortex Generators on the wings. And I DID notice a difference in slow speed and stall speed. I was really enjoying the pc-6 as a test platform for my ongoing aerodynamics education. But the long wingspan and short tail lends to tipstalls.

So in an effort to counteract this, I tried the hoerner style "cuts" on the wingtips. Unfortunately, while testing this mod, an induced tipstall sent her spiralling to the dirt. Like St-bob, I damaged the wing spar quite badly, as well as bombing the nose and dislodging the motor mount. And there it has sat, gathering dust, until I can find time between......life...... And my working planes, To actually fix it.
The Jackalope is online now Find More Posts by The Jackalope
Old Today, 06:12 AM
Lower AL
Joined Feb 2013
1,059 Posts
I'm pretty sure vortex generators work on RC planes just like flaps, ruder, elevator, ailerons, canalyzer wings, and wing tip vortex generators all work on rc airplanes.
Jeff.....................