Old Jul 30, 2015, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Sammy70
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
On a 4s 1800 I can launch it vertically right out of my left hand and get 7 minutes of pattern style flying without stressing the batteries.
Stock prop or .......?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:19 PM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,546 Posts
Falcon carbon fiber 12x6

Found the prop in stock at justmodelprops.com down in Florida
Still using the stock spinner.

4s 1800 Glacier LiPo packs from buddyrc.com

Stock ESC, no problems so far
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ltc; Aug 01, 2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: 12x6 not a 12x7 ... Type too fast!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 07:44 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,196 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Will 2200 4s packs fit and still CG do you think?

I've got lots of those on hand already.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 09:04 PM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Will 2200 4s packs fit and still CG do you think?

I've got lots of those on hand already.
You will have to shave some foam I think snd the pack will have to slide all the way back
It might work
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2015, 09:50 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
7,196 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Tempted with the current sale price, but need another plane like a hole in the head
Old Jul 31, 2015, 04:21 AM
Find More Posts by 1101
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
690 Posts
I was tempted by the sale price as well
It turned up yesterday, rudder broken off & a broken wheel spat
Wouldnt be so bad, but Im terrible at re-do hinges .

Its still the nicest looking plane Ive ever had. Really impressed with the finish on it.
I was planning on using it as a sport flyer, with 3s 2200mah :as I have lots of them & have no 4S batts.

How reliable are the servos & esc. Im considering putting a spare YEP or hobbywing 40A in there, or is the standard esc good enough in the Hobbyking version ?
Any mods I should do ?
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jul 31, 2015, 06:20 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,546 Posts
So far I've been OK with the stock ESC. You are flying most of the time at 1/2 throttle anyways, at least the way I fly

I replaced the analog servos with low cost digital ones, just to try them.

I added some Blenderm tape to the live hinge joints, just for good measure.

It's a fantastic plane, the best one from Hobbyking yet IMHO...although the current price on the Hyperbipe makes it a good buy as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:17 AM
LJH
Find More Posts by LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Tempted with the current sale price, but need another plane like a hole in the head
I hear ya....I just got back into flying fixed wing after taking a few year hiatus. In the past 5 months I have resurrected around 10 of my old planes and I am not so sure the wife is terribly happy about this whole thing as the home office has become a hanger.

With that said I do not really have a plane of this size ready to go, I have been flying either small slow stuff (GWS Moth, Park Scale Monocoupe, Cox/Gravity Warbirds and a Techart Venus) or bigger stuff (Gary Wright E3D, Stevens Edge 540) that are just a little big for the field right down the road. The Arcus should round out the quiver quite well and as I have gotten older and lost a lot of my 3D proficiency from not flying for the last few years I find that I really enjoy flying more of a "Pattern" style than full on 3D.....though the E3D is still a lot of fun to toss around....not that I am very good at it currently.

I also have to say it is impressive what has happened with foam models over the last few years. I use to be a die hard proponent of wood models and the only foam I flew was the GWS Moth. Then a couple years back I needed a quick and easy 3D'ish plane and picked the Techart Venus. The servos were crap but the motor and ESC are still going strong after 100's of flights and the plane flies quite well. Then a few weeks back I found a NIB Sky Angel PC21 kit (I think the PC21 is such a pretty plane) and had to have it. I was not expecting much but I have to say it it looks great and flies even better.....Who would have guessed 5 years ago that you could buy a foam airframe that will do 100MPH and groove as well as a proper SP400 Pylon plane.....I am impressed.

ITC, Good to hear that the drivetrain has been reliable and it sounds like the servos will suffice but I do expect to at least change out the elevator and rudder servo for higher quality units.

As for power I will start with 2200 3-cells and it sounds like a 13X6.5 is the ticket? I just happen to have a couple laying around ready to go.

Cheers,
Jim

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is online now Find More Posts by LJH
Old Jul 31, 2015, 08:41 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,546 Posts
Your 3s setup should be fine.
There have been reports of upgrading to MKS servos with of course excellent results ... I went with a cheaper alternative just to see how they worked out.
I didn't want to spend $200 on servos on plane that cost $120 ... then again I did spend $50 on a Falcon 12x7 for this plane so my thinking just went out the window !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2015, 09:17 AM
LJH
Find More Posts by LJH
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Your 3s setup should be fine.
There have been reports of upgrading to MKS servos with of course excellent results ... I went with a cheaper alternative just to see how they worked out.
I didn't want to spend $200 on servos on plane that cost $120 ... then again I did spend $50 on a Falcon 12x7 for this plane so my thinking just went out the window !
Good To hear.

I am frugal as well and while the MKS servos look awesome I am thinking that money could be spent better elsewhere (Savings for an Audi RS4) especially when we are talking about a $120 foam plane. I can't believe I am saying this but I equipped my PC21 with the Towerpro SG92R's from Value hobby for a whopping $3.50ea. They are loud but I have to say they center better than HS-55's and I am totally happy with them on the PC21. Even on low rates with a about 6MM of total deflection (dialed in a lot of mechanical throw reduction) on the elevator the resolution is impressive. I have no idea how they will last as I only have 10 flights on the PC21 but they are working very well so far. Wish this inexpensive stuff was available 20 years ago when I started this hobby and I was poor .

Cheers,
Jim
Old Jul 31, 2015, 09:28 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
3,546 Posts
Good choice on the RS4 ... extra credit if it's an Avant

It's a great plane, you're going to like how it flies.
I keep it assembled all the time; it's small enough to keep in the car.

I might buy another one and build it as a nightflyer ... winter project maybe .... OK, one of about 100 winter projects
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:29 AM
LJH
Find More Posts by LJH
LJH
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,324 Posts
Quote:
Good choice on the RS4 ... extra credit if it's an Avant
While I would love an avant I am afraid Audi never saw fit to import the B7 RS4 avant into the US ....so the wife's '08 Outback XT 5MT with a tune and some suspension tweeks will have to suffice as the wagon in the family. I have to say that while I have driven Audi's (all tuned to certain extent) exclusively for more than 20 years I am impressed with the durability/reliability and cost of running of Subaru's which my wife has been driving for 15 years. With not a lot of money thrown at the XT she has become a pretty decent car that is quick and handles fairly well while still retaining all the all the features you would buy an Outback for.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Cheers,
Jim