SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2004, 03:46 PM
Rutland, UK
Joined Jan 2004
486 Posts
newbie electric fly recommendations

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of electrics having flown glo models for several years.

I'd really like to build an electric model, but have a few parameters..

1) My radio gear is standard size, to sample this area, I didn't want to go micro at first.

2) I'd like to use Li-po's, flight duration is quite high on my priority list, I'd like 10-15mins at least?

3) I'd like a fairly aerobatic plane (maybe even 3D), but would like something quite small and to be able to fly in smallish spaces.

4) Budget isn't particularly big (same old story...), say 100ish including batts, motor ESC & charger.

5) I would be quite interested in building from plans if I can find the right model.

I've considered several including GWS Pico Slow Stik, Cobra EPP, PIGI 3D & Fast Freddy (from plan). However I'm not sure of a good motor/battery setup.

Many thanks,

Paul
pl1974 is offline Find More Posts by pl1974
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2004, 03:50 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I don't think your going to be able to fly many planes with standard gear, your going to have to get some mini's for Eflight.

But you can use std servos on a Slow Stick(The big one), and li pos for just a little more than stock wait. The SS won't hover or 3D though.
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:14 PM
Rutland, UK
Joined Jan 2004
486 Posts
OK, so if I go for minis/micros what planes can anyone recommend?

Is there an archive of plans anywhere?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 05:05 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
You say your a newbie to electric flight but what kind of actual flying experience do you have? Some of the models of interest you listed would be to much plane for a beginner pilot.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
tahoecrest is offline Find More Posts by tahoecrest
Old Jan 24, 2004, 05:11 PM
Rutland, UK
Joined Jan 2004
486 Posts
I used to fly glo fuel planes - I went through a basic trainer (Precedent Fly Boy) then onto a low wing aerobat (Mick Reeves? Gangster) and also a disco (fun fly), I also used a Precedent T240 to take a standard video camera up, struggled with vibration though.

So I'm OK with the flying bit, just struggling to get my head round motors, ESC's, batteries and Flying weights. Just too many choices!!

Paul
Old Jan 24, 2004, 05:40 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Paul,
You have quit a bit of difference in your list from the sedate easy flying Slow Stick to the highly aerobatic Cobra. Completely different classes of planes. A nice pattern flyer type sounds more suited for your first venture into electrics. You also have foam or balsa choices here. A balsa plane would probably be more like what your experience has been with. Moutain Models Tantrum or Flashback might be good choices. If foam is your preference than the GWS Formosa may work for you. In any case the biggest thing you will have to aware of with electric flight planes is the weight factor. "Lighter is better" and weight can and will have a huge impact on flight characteristics. Thus the huge market for micro recievers and servos and in the last year or so Lipoly batteries as well as high performance brushless motors and esc's. All of my planes have been converted to brushless setups in the last couple of months and I only use Lipoly packs now as well. I use Berg Micro recievers mostly and Hitec HS55 servos for most applications. There are alot of other good choices out there and once you decide on a specific plane then you can usually find or get lots of feedback on a good setup for it here. Just keep asking the questions and you should get the answers you will need to make good decisions.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 03:36 AM
Rutland, UK
Joined Jan 2004
486 Posts
Thanks Tahoecrest,

I think I'm just about sold on the Formosa.

Only question now is batteries & ESC. I guess at first I can use the stock motor, but can't decide how to use Lipo's with it 7.2V seems too low & 10.8 too high.

Would I need to go brushless - is it true that they seem to have a higher voltage range.

What amp draw do you think I would get with this set up, stock motor or brushless.

Paul
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:26 PM
Hooked On Flying!!!
South Lake Tahoe, CA.
Joined May 2003
1,691 Posts
Paul,
I use the MotoCalc program for all my technical stuff. It requires the input a certain criteria that I dont have on the Formosa. If you should start another thread and ask specific questions requesting help on the Formosa you should get plenty of feedback as ther are many flying this plane. From my personal experience the brush motors worked well with a Lipo 2s or 2s2p battery pack. If you use a 3s setup they will perform very well for a very short period of time before they burn out. I have heard the plane flies well on the stock 350 which is what my daughter has in her Dandy Sport in C gearbox using etec 1200 2s2p batts Your amp draw on the Formosa would depend on motor,gearbox, prop and battery pack. Hope this helps and Good luck with your final choice.
HAPPY FLYING!!!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 01:28 PM
Rutland, UK
Joined Jan 2004
486 Posts
Thanks Tahoecrest - I'll do just that, before I go and press the order button!