SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:57 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
In my lifetime I don't recall anyone but LE or security guards brandishing firearms in public places,
Point of terminology, 'brandishing' is a defined crime in some places. Carrying a holstered firearm isn't brandishing, nor is it, in and of itself, a crime in many places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B
so I don't think it's a "problem" when many citizens feel uncomfortable with people not in a position of authority such as LE walking around with exposed rifles or handguns.
I do. Why do you perceive it as a 'problem?'

The 'problem' is that there are many people WITH your attitude. You are stating a predisposition to distrust a citizen who is armed, unless they also wear a uniform. Why is that?
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:57 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Which is why I suggested that if he had just complied, this wouldn't have happened.
Was he asked or told to leave the store, at any point in the timeline?
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:58 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,044 Posts
Quote:
And years ago a deputy answering a domestic next door was shot dead.
Anecdotal.

Domestic violence responding is one of the higher risk duties of LE. This was nothing similar at all.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
IIRC the regular police forces of Ireland, Great Britain, New Zealand and a few other European countries normally don't carry firearms with them, of course they also don't normally encounter folks going shopping with a sidearm strapped to them. Oh well, so much for that "an armed society is a polite society" nonsense.
Huh? The polite one is dead in this case. The store personnel wasn't.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
Was he asked or told to leave the store, at any point in the timeline?
From the OP article

Quote:
Scott and his girlfriend had been shopping in the Costco, but had been asked to leave when an employee spotted Scott’s lawfully carried handgun. Scott had inadvertently exposed the gun when he squatted down to inspect some merchandise. He informed the employee that he was legally carrying the gun and was in possession of a valid Nevada concealed weapons permit, but was informed that Costco has a policy against carrying firearms in their stores.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Quote:
Huh? The polite one is dead in this case. The store personnel wasn't.
Polite people leave other people's private property when asked to do so.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
290 Posts
I ler-ned a new word today ...Hoplophobia .

What is really cool places like this gathering of folks seem to be totally free of that defective mutation.
Young to old ,hotties to notties every form of human being but one...
no hopllphobes . God bless america. The line to shoot a gattling gun was easily a hour long.
So on topic the hoplophobe loss prevention dimwit should face some sort of punishment ,job loss or somebody calling him every day to remind him of the murder he caused. Also the cops that showed up need to evaluated on their action.
Trigger happy badge carrying hoplophobes are the worst.
Turner's Outdoorsman Shooting Sports Fair Video (7 min 14 sec)
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:08 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
From the OP article
"Asked" is a request. At that point, refusal is not a crime, and if the store employee hadn't escalated it to a MWAG call, and instead had informed him to leave, it would have likely been a different outcome altogether.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Flyer View Post
Polite people leave other people's private property when asked to do so.
If it was private property, that is one thing. In this case, it was a property open to the public, and he was a member of the club store. That isn't the same as what you describe.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:10 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,679 Posts
Quote:
"Asked" is a request. At that point, refusal is not a crime, and if the store employee hadn't escalated it to a MWAG call, and instead had informed him to leave, it would have likely been a different outcome altogether.
You asked.

The hairs that you are attempting to split, in differentiating between a request and whatever else you have determined to be the escape clause required, are amusing, but ultimately unlikely to result in anything other than pages of semantics.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
734 Posts
Quote:
If it was private property, that is one thing. In this case, it was a property open to the public, and he was a member of the club store. That isn't the same as what you describe.
Yet despite your picking at nits Costco stores remain private property and the fellow who ended up being shot was asked to leave the premises. He didn't. Police came. They shot him. That probably wouldn't have happened if all he had was a can of iced tea and some skittles.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:22 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
From the OP article
Yes and he probally should of left but---- instead he got a "death sentence" from a "over reacting cop" and lying security guard. This was done without a trial and without consideration for it being LEGAL to carry that firearm.

Isn't that every liberals wail, No death penalty, and a fair trial, along with getting all the facts.
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:54 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Point of terminology, 'brandishing' is a defined crime in some places. Carrying a holstered firearm isn't brandishing, nor is it, in and of itself, a crime in many places.
I do. Why do you perceive it as a 'problem?'

The 'problem' is that there are many people WITH your attitude. You are stating a predisposition to distrust a citizen who is armed, unless they also wear a uniform. Why is that?
"brandishing" was the wrong word to use I suppose, but what if someone decides to unholster their weapon for whatever reason in a public place ie check the safety or if a round is in the chamber? My point is clear, I believe many would and do feel uncomfortable with people other than LE carrying exposed firearms. I have every right to NOT trust people I don't know whether they carry a firearm or not and to suggest I should automatically (no pun intended) trust an individual carrying a firearm is ridiculous.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:01 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post
Yes and he probally should of left but---- instead he got a "death sentence" from a "over reacting cop" and lying security guard. This was done without a trial and without consideration for it being LEGAL to carry that firearm.

Isn't that every liberals wail, No death penalty, and a fair trial, along with getting all the facts.
Funny, but if this person had not been licenced to carry, unarmed and shot by the cop, this thread would have never been started and if it had been I'd bet you would be sticking up for LE?
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Quote:
My point is clear, I believe many would and do feel uncomfortable with people other than LE carrying exposed firearms. I have every right to NOT trust people I don't know whether they carry a firearm or not and to suggest I should automatically (no pun intended) trust an individual carrying a firearm is ridiculous.
My point is if we get really tough on people who illegally carry guns, so that we effectively reduce their number (because the way it is now it seems that most people with guns are criminals or on their way to becoming criminals) then the majority of gun carriers would be doing so legally. Then the police could at least have a chance and maybe the above incident would have played out differently.
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W