SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
enya and royal engine parts

I am trying to get some old engines unstuck and running after 20 years....
I have an old ENYA 29 #5224 and and old ROYAL 40. Got the both apart and seem to becoming unstuck. Anyone know where i can get parts(needle valve and engine case gasket, o-ring for carb for the enya and engine case gasket for the royal. Maybe bearings or a carb too.) I heard the ROYAL 40 is a copy of an OS???? Any info on that wold be helpful.
Also wondering how far to go with the enya as far as the cylinder sleeve is concerned. Haven't taken it out , bit scared i can't get it back in the exact same place cause there is no pin . Any info would be much appreciated!!!! I promised my 8 year old son this year we could fly the same airplane my dad made for me a few years back!!! Still got the Aronica Champ he made for me!!!
banzaichibi is offline Find More Posts by banzaichibi
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,607 Posts
For the Enya engine you can contact Shtterman on Ebay. He specializes in Enya engines, mainly for control line, but he also does RC engine stuff too. I have special ordered Enya parts from him before and he knows Enya engines really well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENYA-049-10-...item33739239a0
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:13 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,104 Posts
The Enya uses a paper gasket for the carb and front housing, no head gasket or shim. There's no real need to remove the liner unless the piston can't be pushed through the top (with maybe some cleaning of carbon at the top of the liner) but if you do remove it then just reinstall it with the exhaust port dead centre in the crankcase port. The piston should be removed though to check that the rod is free to turn/slide on the wristpin. Always use a fuel with at least 20% castor (I'd use 25% myself). Can't help with the Royal though.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
2 Posts
The Royal .40 is a copy of the OS .40 FSR. Front case and rear cover use a simple paper gasket. Carb O-ring can be purchased a most hardware stores for less than a dollar. Another OS copy at the time was the Magnum .40. I would imagine parts from any would work on your Royal. I had several Royal's, both .40 and .45. Great engines with true ABC liners.
tnt123 is offline Find More Posts by tnt123
Old Apr 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,547 Posts
The Royal is an exact duplicate of the old Magnum 40Pro. Made in Taiwan by Thunder tiger. Sold by Royal products while the Magnum was sold by Hobby Shack.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Thanks for the info!!!
I'll see if i can get the piston out with out removing the liner ,thanks.
Is that recommendation for the fuel only for enya or all glow plug engines from Cox020 to KB 61 etc...? The last fuel i bought was in SOCAL in the 90's ,still got the can in my flight box hooked up to the fuel pump, and it says 15%(not sure what that means , can look tomorrow ). Here (i live in the land of inconvenience and very high prices called Sweden) they told me to run 5% . When i asked , i think they said thats the nitro content not the castrol content...??? How is fuel rated?
Thanks for the tip on enya parts!! If i can't find a gasket wondering if i can use some kind of liquid gasket sealer like on car engines etc..?
One last stupid question , the glow plugs I am told are all 1.5 volts for small Cox up to bigger engines, is that right? Because the other day i hooked up a 12 volt battery to the electric panel (which has an amp meter and has places for the electric starter to plug in and switches for the fuel pump as well)in the flight box my dad made years ago that has a place to plug in one of those "clothes pin" glow plug starters and there was 12 volts coming out.???I haven't tried it on a glow plug yet . Asked someone here and they said something about diodes or pulse or transistors or????Cant figure what they try to say in English at times.....but the said it should be ok? Also i was told a regular AA battery should light them but when i tried they just smoldered a bit and didn't turn red.....?????ANYWAY ITS GREAT TO DISCUSS THIS IN REAL ENGLISH !!!!!
Thanks again!!!!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
13 Posts
Sorry i forgot to say thanks for the ROYAL info too!! I think it was bought at TowerHobbies by a friend in the 90's...... I'll see if they have parts. Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
I am 5' 8" the Taube is 7' 4"
USA, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Jan 2008
628 Posts
banzaichibi
The reason you measure 12 Volts between the terminals for the Glow Plug clip is because you have an open circuit. When you connect to the Glow Plug it pulls current through a resistor on the back side of the Control Panel that drops the voltage to 1.5 Volts at about 3 Amps of Current.
Clancy
Clancy Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Clancy Arnold
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaichibi View Post
Is that recommendation for the fuel (all castor) only for enya or all glow plug engines from Cox020 to KB 61 etc...?
The Enya uses a cast iron piston running in a steel liner so the all castor fuel is necessary for that type of engine. Using a fuel with only synthetic oil will destroy the engine fairly quickly. Castor is quite suitable for all size 2 strokes regardless of the type of piston/cylinder materials. The % indicated for fuels generally only refers to the nitro content, the more important oil content is usually ignored!

As far as the plug power goes, the power panel most likely has a knob that can be turned to adjust the power going to the plug. It'll read 12 volts with a meter but the electronics switch the 12 volts on just long enough for the plug to heat up a little then off before it gets too hot. That makes a slight buzzing noise. The knob adjusts the time it's on and off. Most plugs need a slightly different setting to get the same heat (roughly orange/yellow heat) so it's wise to check the coil colour before fitting it to an engine. It's also wise to turn the knob right down then gradually increase the setting until it glows just right.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:21 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,920 Posts
Enya parts are now handled here in the US by BJ's Model Engine Service..

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzaichibi View Post
If i can't find a gasket wondering if i can use some kind of liquid gasket sealer like on car engines etc..?

Thanks again!!!!
If you can salvage any of the gasket, make a copy on a copy machine and cut it out. Or, use a magic marker and coat the sealing surface of the case and press it on a piece of paper. Some of the magic marker will transfer to the paper and you can cut from there. I've also used a VERY light coat of oil on the case to make a mark on the paper.

All the paper gaskets on my Enya 90 4C are made this way.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497