HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:53 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Build Log
CRASHED Hobby Lobby F-35 Lightning II re-build. (YES, it's possible)

I was fortunate enough to pick this plane up from Roswalt last week. I'm one who prefers a little bit of a challenge. Some people like those boring puzzles you do on a table, I like the ones you get to fly when you're done.

I can't imagine this thread will be extremely lengthy, but I've done a fair job on some rebuilds in the past, and someone may benefit from knowing that it is actually very possible to put these things back together.

Here's a photo from a J-Power F-4 Phantom that crashed from a faulty servo. Unfortunately my experience with Hobby Lobby was excruciatingly painful, enough so that I haven't purchased anything from them since. I really loved how this plane flew, so I spent a few hours and got it back together. The most difficult part was matching the paint.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:00 PM
Suspended Account
California
Joined Oct 2010
7 Posts
What happened were you hot doggin? That plane flys awesome..
GordonLiddy is offline Find More Posts by GordonLiddy
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:02 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
This is the plane i will be rebuilding.

I guess I should post a pic of the actual plane I am rebuilding.

This is how it looked when I checked everything out from the box. Those darn postal workers. They can never deliver a plane without breaking something.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:04 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonLiddy View Post
What happened were you hot doggin? That plane flys awesome..
Nope, I did a simple loop within the first minute of flight and a servo locked up. I had full control of everything except one side of the elevator. (separate servos) It piled into the ground as I helplessly watched.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:18 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Supplies needed.

Gorilla Glue
Tooth-picks
Masking tape
Paper plate
Dry towel or rag you don't care about.

The GG works great to fill in gaps and ensure a good bond between the foam, and it's very light when dry. I mix small amounts of glue at a time, so it foams just what I want, when I want it.

I mix it by putting a small amount of glue on the tooth pick and dipping it in the water. After mixing it all together, I have a minute or two of working time before it gets too foamy to be useful.

I usually only put glue on one side. Once put back together, I tape it as good as possible to keep the foam from expanding where I don't want it.

I have found the absolute very best way to get gorilla glue off of my fingers is by wiping them good on a dry towel or rag. Anything wet and you're in for trouble, and really strange feeling skin for a while.
Last edited by denial15; Oct 09, 2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: SpeLiNG
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
I mix it by putting a small amount of glue on the tooth pick and dipping it in the water. After mixing it all together, I have a minute or tow of working time before it gets too foamy to be useful.
Can you go into a little more detail about the GG mixing?

I can't ever seem to get that stuff to work well for me. Either expands too much, or not enough.

Never heard about the dipping in water trick.
MrEvoMan is offline Find More Posts by MrEvoMan
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:33 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
I spent an hour last night working on the forward section of the upper fuselage. I didn't take many photos of that part because I didn't plan on doing a thread. Sorry.

Here is what I will be working with for the lower section of the forward fuse. The top was in more pieces, but the bottom is much more complicated.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:43 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvoMan View Post
Can you go into a little more detail about the GG mixing?

I can't ever seem to get that stuff to work well for me. Either expands too much, or not enough.

Never heard about the dipping in water trick.
Sure. I'll show you on this piece. It wasn't broken all the way through, but I wouldn't be able to get to all of the cracks unless I broke it the rest of the way off.
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:58 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
The glue on the plate was a little larger than a quarter. As it sat, it spread out a bit so it looks bigger. Depending on how much glue I'm using, depends on how much glue I put on the tooth pick.

You can see in the photo about how much glue I dipped in the water for how much I was mixing. I would estimate it's only a small drop or two of water the ends up getting mixed in. It really starts foaming after 6-7 minutes.

This glue will dry enough in 3-4 hours to take the tape off, but it will not be fully set yet. For that reason I let it dry overnight.
Last edited by denial15; Oct 09, 2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Spelling....again
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:23 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Here's the progress for tonight. I had planned on making this a winter project. I didn't anticipate it going back together this will.

On the down side, by placing the repaired sections together, I can see I'm missing three sections of foam. I'll have to do some thinking about how I will patch those areas. I'll post some pics of that tomorrow. (Maybe) The flat areas will be simple, but I'm missing a section of foam in the wheel well of the front retract.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:12 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Thanks guy, I got a small bottle of the clear GG but was apprehensive as how to actually apply. Also heres a link to ie spell, an adon for your browser to spell check these text windows that ms office can't. When installed you right click in the window and check spelling!
Tom
http://www.iespell.com/
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:44 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
Ahhh, dude its a challenge isnt it!
im doing a similar thing... this is why i love foamies!

Ill continue my story in my Su-33 thread!
Cheers

Benjo
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:07 AM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Thanks guy, I got a small bottle of the clear GG but was apprehensive as how to actually apply. Also heres a link to ie spell, an adon for your browser to spell check these text windows that ms office can't. When installed you right click in the window and check spelling!
Tom
http://www.iespell.com/

The clear stuff doesn't need as much water. It also dries faster, so be prepareed.

Thanks for the link, but my computer already does spell check. I just keep doing stupid stuff like "tow" instead of "two, and "filly" instead of "fully". I just have really fat fingers when it comes to typing.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:29 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
It's coming along. This is the progress from last night. In all, I think I'm a little over two hours into the re-build.

I have the foam piece for the fuse behind the pilot seat. I just haven't put it in yet. I'll save that for when I join the upper and lower halves back to the fuse.
Last edited by denial15; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:30 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,872 Posts
I've been stalled for a bit. I just picked up some scrap pieces of depron to fill in the gaps of missing foam.

You can see from the pics the three larger holes where I am missing sections. I will place the depron on one side of the holes and trace the cutout of what is missing. After it has been traced, I'll cut it out and glue it in. It doesn't have to be perfect, as the gorilla glue will fill in the smaller holes and gaps.

The hardest section to repair will be the section in the wheel well. I'll have to experiment with bending the depron to the shape I need. I may even have to do that one in two or three smaller cuts.
Last edited by denial15; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:17 PM.