HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:21 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,380 Posts
Discussion
Engine Sounds

I have been thinking about adding sounds to my Happy Hunter and doing some research on here to see what I can find.

I came across the page for Model Solutions of Canada's webpage
http://www.modelsolutions.ca/soundclips.htm I like what I saw but I am really lost.

I understand the sounds is supplied on a board and the engine sound is hooked in with the ESC to give proportional sound to the diesel engines as they rev up and down. I am lost to how this is all wired in? I would love to have a the diesel sound along with the ship's horn. Is this all on the same board or are two separate boards required? When I built the Happy Hunter I installed the fitting Robbe suggested to hold a speaker. I am not just sure how it all comes together.

Sorry to sound like a neophyte on this. I am stickler for realism (as most of us are) and feel this will just bring my entire model up another notch, just not sure how to get there.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:26 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,023 Posts
I don't have a MSoC unit, but I do have a JJC unit and also have had RAM units in the past.

They all connect and work pretty much the same.

You use a Y-harness to connect the sound module to your ESC and Rx. The sound module is the amplifier, and you connect the speaker wires to the sound module. It electronically senses the amount of throttle being applied to the ESC and makes the engine sounds proportional to that.

Extracurricular sounds can be on the main sound module or are sometimes added on as extra pieces of hardware that integrate with the main board.

The sound module receives its electrical power from the same battery your motors run off of.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:33 AM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
Kmot... i have the same question... with the same unit... Robbe Diesel sound unit... do u have a picture or diagram? i read pictures better than words
i just want to make sure i understand what you are saying
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:23 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,769 Posts
The Robbe diesel unit and some RAMs don't sense the Rx's command to the ESC, but use the old trick of directly measuring a voltage at the motor... antiquated. Modern sound units measure the pulse command from Rx to ESC.

MSoC's unit is quite modern, has proportional engine sounds AND up to 4 "keyable" sounds of your choice (horns, seagulls, whatever), and a few other tricks too... but if you're at all uneasy with wires and software setup, better let your neighbor kid do the job...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,380 Posts
Guys thanks for the replies. Kmot I am with Reid on this one, do you have a diagram?

Scott
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:44 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
24,023 Posts
I'll look in my pile of saved literature and see if I still have the JJC wiring diagram. If not, I will try to draw one from hand for you guys.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:02 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser110
I have been thinking about adding sounds to my Happy Hunter and doing some research on here to see what I can find.

I came across the page for Model Solutions of Canada's webpage
http://www.modelsolutions.ca/soundclips.htm I like what I saw but I am really lost.

I understand the sounds is supplied on a board and the engine sound is hooked in with the ESC to give proportional sound to the diesel engines as they rev up and down. I am lost to how this is all wired in? I would love to have a the diesel sound along with the ship's horn. Is this all on the same board or are two separate boards required? When I built the Happy Hunter I installed the fitting Robbe suggested to hold a speaker. I am not just sure how it all comes together.

Sorry to sound like a neophyte on this. I am stickler for realism (as most of us are) and feel this will just bring my entire model up another notch, just not sure how to get there.

Scott
Hi Scott,
If you contact Model Solutions of Canada they will tell you how to hook up the unit and answer any questions.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:22 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,769 Posts
Actually, the instruction manual is online there, with pictures and diagrams...

on this page:
http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_sound_systems.htm

Lots of options, which means lots of diagrams to sort through...
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:32 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Jan 2009
26 Posts
Model Solutions system

I am using the model solutions board on my Brooklyn. It is VERY COOL!

Like the previous post states all of the documentation is available on their web site including connection diagrams.

There are also options for controlling other things in conjuction with the sounds.

I selected a steam engine sound (as you might imagine) for my Brooklyn's engine which is poportional to the throttle (fwd & rev). It also have a fully off position at one click below neutral so you can turn it off on the water if you want to.

For my other 4 sounds I have a high pressure water sound that I found on the web that is coupled to my fire monitor pump control, a ship's bell, a steam whistle and a fog horn. They are all fully configurable and easy to control with either one proportioanl channel or other switchable channels.

I am using just one 4" speaker in a box and powering the audio with 12V. You can increase the maximum output volume by powering the audio input with up to 28V. I have not yet put my boat on the pond but at 12V the audio is almost painfully loud in my garage. I walked across my street and down about 3 houses (est 75 yrds) the other day to hear what it soulds like at a distance and it was still loud so I would think 12V is enough.

The neat thing about the unit is how configurable it is both in how you control it and the ability to find any .WAV files either off of the internet or recorded your self and program them into the unit via a USB interface.

I couldn't be happier with my unit (OK if it were cheaper that would have made me happier) but overall I am happy with it and would recommend it highly.

Good luck

Tom
trainwater is offline Find More Posts by trainwater
Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:47 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,769 Posts
I just set one up for the YTL tug... I agree on the volume!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:03 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,380 Posts
So if I understand this correctly, I can have both the throttle and ships horn on the same board? The throttle sound I understand would be controlled by moving the stick up and down to move the engines in forward or reverse and the sound would be proprotional to the speed

I am not sure how the horn would figure in.

Currently I am running an 8 channel radio but on really using 6 channels.

Right stick- Up = Thruster right. Down= Thruster left. Left and Right move the rudder left and right

Left stick- Up = Boat moves forward, Down= Boat moves in reverse

So would/ or could the horn be worked in so when I move the left stick to the left, lets say the horn sounds?

Scott
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:16 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,769 Posts
Yes, 1 stick for throttle/engine sound... and 1 stick for the MSoC additional sounds (up to 4)...you choose the stick. You can even choose to use the Ch 5 & 6 switches if you have such...
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:17 PM
AMA 743519 Team Heliproz Pilot
United States, WA, Granite Falls
Joined Mar 2006
1,143 Posts
i have considered this stick setup. but i would have the thruster on the left stick and not the right. might be a little confusing with it on the right stick but if your used to it. the horn i would put on a switch like the flaps or a gear switch.
drakonis is offline Find More Posts by drakonis
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:28 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,380 Posts
I put the thruster on the right stick because I consider it my "control stick." The left and right rudder movements are there so it made sence to me to have the side to side thruster control there too. I am also right handed and felt I would be able to better control the boat with my right hand vs. my left.

I looked at the diagrams on the link you posted Patmat. it looks like I'll have to rewire the set up I have now. Currently the power from the battery goes through the ESC. The ESC is then connected to the reciever and the servo controlling the rudder and the thruster are hooked into the reciever as well.

If I understand the diagram correctly, I'll need to have the power from the battery sent to the sound board to the ESC to the reciever and then wire the sound board into receiver to designate a channel for the horn. Does that make sense?

Scott
Old Mar 30, 2009, 04:46 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,769 Posts
Yes... but also, he shows a system with a separate Rx battery.
- ESC and Rx both connect to sound board;
- Sound board passes pulse signal from Rx to ESC, and taps into that signal to generate the right engine speed sound;
- But it doesn't pass the ESC's BEC power to the Rx, go figure.

I wire things differently, and it works fine (and he doesn't show this option):
- Rx Y'd to ESC and sound board
- Everyone still hears the pulse signal
- And Rx gets its juice from the ESC's BEC