Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 14, 2003, 11:55 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
Possible solution to Piccolo Pro tracking

Hello All

I have been thinking about how to reduce the twist and stiffen the rotor head for a little while. If you pull your Pro head off and you grab on to the ends and twist you will notice that you can do this quite easily. I think this easy twisting is part of the tracking problem.

My solution.

I decided to use carbon plates to added support to the head to reduce the twist.

First I filled the canal, that the plate will mount over, with baking soda. After filling the canal I added thin CA.

Next I sanded the surface filled with CA/Soda to make a flat surface to mount the plate. After sanding I neatly added more CA and then attached my CF plates.

Last I let it dry.

After the mod you will notice that the head is much harder to twist.

I took it out for a test flight and I found that the Pro reacted to imputs a little quicker, and that the tracking was much better.

I really like the the new stiffer head. Oh, and just so you know I got the CF from an old broken Logo 20 blade

Here is a pic.

Note, this idea is still subject to tests and I dont guarentee you will have the same results I have but I will keep you posted on my progress.

Enjoy
Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2003, 12:03 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
I was thinking of doing something similar without the CF.

Basically, fill the channels in the head with glass microbeads then use thin CA to stiffen the head.

I haven't tried it yet though...I haven't gotten my CP Piccolo flying yet...wrong pinion size.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Mar 15, 2003, 11:13 AM
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
Hello All

I finally tested the heli with the new head mod and I am very pleased with the results. The heli seems to have faster cyclic, better handeling properties, and any flutter that I ever got is gone!!!! Today, I finally had the nerve to turn my HS to 2400(usually fly at 2000) becasue if I had tried to fly this way with the stock config the blades would go an inch out of track which is very scary. I tried as hard as I could to get those blades out of track and it just wouldnt happen, which is a good thing The worst spot is when you do a climb and then you want to decend really quickly. When you do this the head unloads and the HS gets really high which, in my experience, can make your blades flutter bad. Flutter never happened with the mod.

I still dont guarentee that this is the absolute solution to the problem, but I am having great sucess with this mod. If you would like to try feel free because it is better than doing nothing at all

Carlo
Old Mar 15, 2003, 06:09 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
Hello All

Just came back from the flying field and I did some loops, roll, and statioinary flips. It did all the manuvers very well consider that that the wind was pretty strong and changing direction. Now all I have to do is get some 1200 Etech's(Using 6 1020 kokams now) to loose 60 grams of weight and Ill be set.

I am pretty much convinced that this is one mod that should defintally be considered. I think some of my tracking issues were caused by the fact that my heli weighed around 350 grams but now any flutter is gone and tracking is dead on.

Carlo
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
Hello All

Just wanted to add this random pic of my Pro at the field today.

Enjoy
Carlo
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:37 PM
irq
Joined Feb 2003
12 Posts
Is anyone selling CF in the proper shape for this mod? If so, I would really like to buy a set. Thanks!
irq is offline Find More Posts by irq