HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Well I have heard of it on the thread but now I have done it ...

A spectacular nose down float with both wings acting as rotors!! You can only stand there and watch .....

Lucky escape with minimal damage ... I am so going to Tape the wings or Glue them from now on ...

Be warned secure your wings ... there are heaps of ideas on this thread to do this and I wish I hadn't been so cocky
That's too bad, but it could have been worse if if you were over trees!

I really like the vinyl tape I use. You can see in my latest video I use blue now. I peeled the white off at the field to reinforce a hinge on a different plane. Tape is very versatile!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
video

You can see in my latest video I use blue now. I peeled the white off at the field to reinforce a hinge on a different plane. Tape is very versatile![/QUOTE]

Question , where to I see yur latest Video

Nice up here, rain 68 deg's Very Pleasant

..........te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:31 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,342 Posts
Well we have rain, but I think it will stop around noon, and I'll go fly.

Try Search this thread, go Advanced search, and search on victapilot, you'll find the video - it was just to show the motor. I also showed a reference to the tape earlier too.

Here's the video http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7458
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:47 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
That's too bad, but it could have been worse if if you were over trees!

I really like the vinyl tape I use. You can see in my latest video I use blue now. I peeled the white off at the field to reinforce a hinge on a different plane. Tape is very versatile!
What is the Vinyl tape you use ... brand???

I am thinking of using the rubberbands and pegs but I might tape the little rotters too!!

Just on that vid and your inrunner victap..,
What inrunner did you use?? Looks like you mounted it by gluing the outside barrel directly to the foam motor standoff??

also wonder if you would mind sharing your whole setup .. ESC, batttery etc..?

Are you finding this a good combination for the CF? - Mine is going to need a hotwater bath for the nose as well as the wing fixing solution so just wondering if I might just spruce the whole thing up ... a good inrunner would be nice mounted on the pod. ....hmm with an 11 inch prop and 6S and a full glassing an d....... nahh just being silly ... but a change of motor to something like yours might be fun.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,342 Posts
The mount is 1/8 ply, one piece flat where the pod used to be, and one piece vertical on back of the pod. The two pieces are glued to each other and to the foam with epoxy. There are two balsa filler pieces to try to cut turbulence a bit. I'm sure you and others can do better, maybe in carbon (would look good too) but this works and I have hung motors on back or in front of the ply. You can see the original chunk I took out of the pod, I took out an additional 1/2in when I put this motor on.

It depends how you want to fly. I have low throws with reinforced hinges for speed, but others may choose a light weight setup with max throws and be happy.
Last edited by victapilot; Jul 15, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 04:12 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
Upgrade ?

It depends how you want to fly. I have low throws with reinforced hinges for speed, but others may choose a light weight setup with max throws and be happy.[/QUOTE]

Can't to see who puts a small jet in the Pod more speed more fun

.............te
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:58 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
722 Posts
I had my first flight with a GoPro today. Adding 250g makes a big difference to your hand launches, lol. After a few face plants I managed to add enough throttle and throw hard enough to get it flying. Check out the vid below. The top part of the video is a bit washed out because I didn't notice a smear on the lens from the face plant take off's.

My set up is the GoPro with protective case stuck on top of the nose. The Sticky mounts don't stick to the foam that well so I ended up tying the mount on through the nose holes. Th battery was velcro'd to the top in front of the motor and I added 50 grams of lead just in front of the tail to balance it properly.

After this vid I managed a total "division by 0" on the sticks and flew it straight in to the ground from about 4 meters high. The throttle was off thank god and it stalled before it dropped, but there's still some gluing to be done before I can make another vid. <sigh>

I think I'm going to build a new nose so that I can mount the camera inside it instead of sticking out on top. I'll post pics if it turns out ok.

First GoPro HD flight. Curl Curl Lagoon (3 min 51 sec)
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,254 Posts
Awesome place and smooth flight.. i really like those coastal areas and in HD they look magnificent..

On related news.. my new HD #11 keychain camera arrived friday and yesterday before heading for the slope i did a fast test flight

CloudsFly prueba camara HD 720 (2 min 31 sec)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:18 AM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
I think I'm going to build a new nose so that I can mount the camera inside it instead of sticking out on top.
Sorry to hear about your stall...

Yea, my strap on (over the wing) FPV pod is about 278g. The CF definitely sinks a little more during a hand launch before it picks up speed. I can do 10 minute flights and have 50% battery left when I come down on 2200mah batteries though, so the CF is efficient even carrying the load.

A bit nose heavy is good to avoid stalls. The more elevator you add, the slower it flies, but with much less tendency to actually stall.

Camera on top on a "break away" (i.e. not too strong) mount can keep your camera safer than being the bloody nose in a face plant.
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Last edited by theothercliff; Jul 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,256 Posts
New AXN owner -- ARF kit on the way to me

Where on this this thread is there a list of recommended modifications to make this plane a reliable and fun plane. I have the Skysurfer figured out and modified / improved a couple of them?

My plan is to use a MicroDan 2505 2535 KV motor with a 6x4 APC sport prop.

--ESC with be a 40 amp Hobbywing switchmode BEC because I have it in stock.

--Servos will be HXT900 because I have plenty of them in stock as well.

I will look at the hinging of the new AXN as well as the control horns and clevises and changes if they they look weak.

Is the spar sufficient for the plane when you increase the power system? If yes, that's good, but if not what's the standard fix?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jul 17, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:35 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,342 Posts
I replaced the spar with an arrow shaft in carbon fiber. It's half the weight, and same size and strength. Some folks have had issues with the spar covers coming unglued, and then you have no support obviously. My covers are glued with epoxy. I gave the specs on the arrow I used a way back, it's a $3 item at Wallmart.

No experience with Microdan but the other stuff is same as mine.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
I replaced the spar with an arrow shaft in carbon fiber. It's half the weight, and same size and strength. Some folks have had issues with the spar covers coming unglued, and then you have no support obviously. My covers are glued with epoxy. I gave the specs on the arrow I used a way back, it's a $3 item at Wallmart.

No experience with Microdan but the other stuff is same as mine.
Victapilot,

Thanks. I have plenty of CF available locally with a kite shop that makes high end stunt kites.

I learned on a Skysurfer how important a "belt and suspenders" approach to the spar cover retention. The results were ugly when the spar cover separated during a dive recovery.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:29 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Where on this this thread is there a list of recommended modifications to make this plane a reliable and fun plane. I have the Skysurfer figured out and modified / improved a couple of them?

My plan is to use a MicroDan 2505 2535 KV motor with a 6x4 APC sport prop.

--ESC with be a 40 amp Hobbywing switchmode BEC because I have it in stock.

--Servos will be HXT900 because I have plenty of them in stock as well.

I will look at the hinging of the new AXN as well as the control horns and clevises and changes if they they look weak.

Is the spar sufficient for the plane when you increase the power system? If yes, that's good, but if not what's the standard fix?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bill
I wish I could talk you into flying it first with a stock BL motor. It has more than enough power to tear up the sky. The MicroDan will be WAYYYYY too much power. It will be more like model rocketry. Of course, if that is what you want, absolute vertical will start at about 1/2 - 2/3 throttle. It will become unmanageable at WOT. I have not had any spar problems other than the mentioned spar covers coming loose. Make sure you soak the covers with CA (with the spar out) and you will be fine. I am interested to get your comparison report of the CF and the Sky Surfer. I had the CF 2 years before I had the Sky Surfer. I can promise you that you will love this plane. It is like the SkyS in the respect that it will glide into tomorrow. Because the Wing Span is much shorter, it is a lot easier to transport in any car. Therefore, I glued my wings in the CF from the beginning. Oh, after well over 300+ flights, I still have not crashed it (that I recall). Anyhow, I just looked at it closely and it appears that is true. Good Luck (but, you won't need it) and take some videos. Oh, this bird has a nasty dive from a hand launch. Just use a little over 1/2 throttle and about 30 degree hefty toss and you will be fine. It has a launch dive that is much worse than our clones (EZ*, Sky S, Wild Hawk, Hawk Sky, etc.). Don't let me scare you, though. With you experience, you will have no problem at all IF you remember to give it a strong toss.
AJ
Here is what I have been working on the past few days. It is RTF. I just need a wind free day. Around here, in the summer, that is rare.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:41 PM
Moderately Dangerous
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Apr 2011
1,047 Posts
I'll add another vote for the stock motor. It rips and I think is perfectly suited for this plane. I can hit 60mph no problem, which is crazy for a plane of this type. It's worth just flying it a few times, but switch to an APC 6x4E prop as it has better thrust and more top speed than the stock prop.
TwoHeadsBrewing is online now Find More Posts by TwoHeadsBrewing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UHF / 1.3ghz Relay Stations
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,256 Posts
Ok, I will try it stock.
RCG Plus Member