HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
The MC22 even has the individual channel allocation. As long as you get the trainer module or make your own one everything's fine.
Yeah, thats the theory... and on the MC24 it worked fine, but Jochen had a problem with the MC22.
(diagnosing Tx-specific problems remotely has cost me a few gray hairs!)
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:21 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac
Hello Anthony, I received the head tracker and i must say that i am fully impressed..

At first i could not figure out why i was getting such a quick drift and was having to reset the system every 20 seconds. I did finally realise that i had to let the gyro equalize with the temp outside its container and initalize the system while it was level.

It is quite diffrent from the head tracking system ive developed and not having the freedom to walk around and turn is something im going to have to get used to.
I have just purchased a 2.6m Ventus Glider to use as a video platform and i must say, im looking forward to kicking back in a banna chair and flying around... Ill post some video of the headtracker in action when i can...

I used the system at Chatsfield Airfield in Colorado this past weekend and the guys at the field were in aaawwwww. I gave our your website about 40x and i hope to see more people out with headtracking sytems in the future...

thanks again
wac
Glad to hear that it worked well for you, yes the temperature equalizing is a bit of a pain, but tough to avoid.
It makes a great thermal sensor though... when the gyro starts drifting you know that a thermal just passed through lol

Looking forward to seeing video from that glider!, I'm just about to order a Cularis I think, the big-brother to the EasyGlider, and also 2.6m.

I can't let my wife see the video though, her dream was to move to Colorado and she ended up in Switzerland instead
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:38 PM
Joined Jan 2003
5 Posts
o.k., I got my TrackR1 in january and did my first, but short, flight today. It was quite exciting and honestly I was quite nervous ;-) I fly planes and helicopters for over 12 years now and this was quite a new experience!!! But I have to practice this kind of flying a lot during this summer.

Now to the problems I had with the combination of the TrackR1 and the Graupner MC-22s:
My headtracker was equiped with an 3.5mm plug by Anthony for the use with a Graupner transmitters. Therefore you need the master jack No.:3290.19 from graupner. Now came the difficulties. The cable which was choosen by Anthony worked like an antenna and lead the electro-magnetic waves from the tx-antenne via the 3.5mm plug back into the transmitter. By that the tx was disturbed and didn´t work like it supposed to. For example it didn´t react on button inputs any more. The only solution to go in my opinion, was to try the original optical trainer cabel from graupner (with 55 Euro quite expensive). Therefore Anthony´s cable had to be removed and replace with a standard 3.5mm jack (see picture), which I integrated into the housing of the TrackR1. The other, black cable is just the power supply coming from my gear-belt.
The optical cable worked very good, but in the meantime Graupner offers a cheaper copper cable (No.:3290.5) with a special pcb (???opto separation???) in the plug on one end. This one works very good as well and the price is about 25€.
Hopefully I could help anybody as small "thank you" for your really great support in the forum!!!

b.t.w., you definitive need a MC-22(s) because of the single take over function of two channels during trainer mode. An MC-19 doesn´t offer this feature.

Attached you can find some pictures of my gear. I choosed a police-man belt to mount all the different devices.

Anthony, what is included in the new Software update? Do I "need" this?

Best regards
Jochen (germany)
jochen-k. is offline Find More Posts by jochen-k.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:44 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochen-k.
o.k., I got my TrackR1 in january and did my first, but short, flight today. It was quite exciting and honestly I was quite nervous ;-) I fly planes and helicopters for over 12 years now and this was quite a new experience!!! But I have to practice this kind of flying a lot during this summer.

Now to the problems I had with the combination of the TrackR1 and the Graupner MC-22s:
My headtracker was equiped with an 3.5mm plug by Anthony for the use with a Graupner transmitters. Therefore you need the master jack No.:3290.19 from graupner. Now came the difficulties. The cable which was choosen by Anthony worked like an antenna and lead the electro-magnetic waves from the tx-antenne via the 3.5mm plug back into the transmitter. By that the tx was disturbed and didn´t work like it supposed to. For example it didn´t react on button inputs any more. The only solution to go in my opinion, was to try the original optical trainer cabel from graupner (with 55 Euro quite expensive). Therefore Anthony´s cable had to be removed and replace with a standard 3.5mm jack (see picture), which I integrated into the housing of the TrackR1. The other, black cable is just the power supply coming from my gear-belt.
The optical cable worked very good, but in the meantime Graupner offers a cheaper copper cable (No.:3290.5) with a special pcb (???opto separation???) in the plug on one end. This one works very good as well and the price is about 25€.
Hopefully I could help anybody as small "thank you" for your really great support in the forum!!!

b.t.w., you definitive need a MC-22(s) because of the single take over function of two channels during trainer mode. An MC-19 doesn´t offer this feature.

Attached you can find some pictures of my gear. I choosed a police-man belt to mount all the different devices.

Anthony, what is included in the new Software update? Do I "need" this?

Best regards
Jochen (germany)
Looks like a clever way to get this working!.
I'm still a little confused as to why this Tx has a problem and the MC24 (and many others) don't, but using an optical isolation here is a good way to solve it.
I see that you use a 3.5mm stereo jack, which I assume carries the power too. You need to be careful that the jack doesn't short the battery to either ground, or the PPM output line, when plugging/unplugging the connector.

The update contains a few minor fixes that don't affect most users. The main fix relates to PPM Append mode, which you aren't using with the MC22.

Welcome to the wonderful world of FPV flight!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:38 AM
Joined Jan 2003
5 Posts
Hi Anthony,

no, due to the danger you mentioned I use a separate cable for the power supply. You can see this in the middle picture.

I think I´ll have a lot of fun with this kind of flying...

Jochen
jochen-k. is offline Find More Posts by jochen-k.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:39 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,263 Posts
Quote:
I'm still a little confused as to why this Tx has a problem and the MC24 (and many others) don't
Yeah, and I've had someone use an MC22 without problems.
Multiplex however is a pain in the *%&£ interference-wise. All models are worse than the others.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:37 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Yeah, and I've had someone use an MC22 without problems.
Multiplex however is a pain in the *%&£ interference-wise. All models are worse than the others.
You've got to love the wonderful world of RF interference, on my side I haven't seen any problems with the Multiplex gear :-)
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,263 Posts
Meh!

Multiplex stuff mostly caused problems with the video equipment. Bring the video cable too close to the TX, everything gets distorted or even goes black. So having a cable running from it right to a box attached to the goggles or even inside didn't improve the thing at all. Using shielded wire can help a bit depending on the weather or what the user has eaten at lunch, sometimes.

I made a nice test: Take a Cockpit SX TX. Connect a ~1m wire to the trainer ground pin. Even bringing that wire 10cm to a working DV camcorder with the TX as far as possible will make everything go fuzzy or blank. I've measured half the amplitude found on the antenna on the ground rail

I've had people with the same multiplex TX model and freq, one having the worst nightmares making it work with FPV equipment, another one never had a single problem.

Hair tearing does happen at times
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Apr 26, 2007, 04:33 AM
Fonny
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2006
206 Posts
G'Day Anthony.
I don't know if you have been following the XPS extremelink forum, but, do you think that it would be possible to directly connect your output into one of these modules?
ie:ground to ground, and your ppm signal to the XPS Tx, therefore eliminating the actual transmitter, and and the Rx will just provide the 2 channels in PPM?
Just a theory.
Rob.
PS:Hust bought an EasyStar, so the playing begins.
rjfon1 is offline Find More Posts by rjfon1
Old Apr 26, 2007, 04:36 AM
Fonny
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2006
206 Posts
G'Day again.
Hey Jochen (germany). What video transmitter are you using?
Thanks,
Rob.
rjfon1 is offline Find More Posts by rjfon1
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:04 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfon1
G'Day Anthony.
I don't know if you have been following the XPS extremelink forum, but, do you think that it would be possible to directly connect your output into one of these modules?
ie:ground to ground, and your ppm signal to the XPS Tx, therefore eliminating the actual transmitter, and and the Rx will just provide the 2 channels in PPM?
Just a theory.
Rob.
PS:Hust bought an EasyStar, so the playing begins.
You can do it much cheaper than that... Just purchase a Hitec Tx RF Module from ebay for $29, make a simple PCB with the 0.1" pins that the RF Module plugs in to, add power, and a 72MHz/40MHz/35MHz antenna, and hook the TrackR1 into it.
On the plane end use a standard PPM Rx.

Voila, completely independent from the main Tx.

Of course, the same module can be used with an external antenna to fly FPV from the car, just connect it to the buddy box connector of the Tx, and to a modified CB Radio magnetic mount.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 09:52 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Anthony,

OK, for some reason I might have misunderstood a few previous posts because based on your last post it looks like I could use my DX6 with the TrackR1 if I'm willing to break open the case.

Could I not just disconnect the interal connection between the main radio and the spektrum TX, then just use the trainer port out, through the trackR1, then connect to the spektrum TX? I'm thinking I could just create a straight pass through connector when I'm not using the TrackR1. I could just add another trainer plug that goes straight to the TX and put a jumper cord there? Am I making any sense? Should this work?
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:05 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb
Anthony,

OK, for some reason I might have misunderstood a few previous posts because based on your last post it looks like I could use my DX6 with the TrackR1 if I'm willing to break open the case.

Could I not just disconnect the interal connection between the main radio and the spektrum TX, then just use the trainer port out, through the trackR1, then connect to the spektrum TX? I'm thinking I could just create a straight pass through connector when I'm not using the TrackR1. I could just add another trainer plug that goes straight to the TX and put a jumper cord there? Am I making any sense? Should this work?
Theoretically, yes, this would work. The pass-through is a good idea, especially if it is a switch, I'd hate to think that if for any reason the TrackR1 firmware hung up, the PPM link would be broken (I have yet to see this happen, but no harm in a little extra security).

If you are lucky the internal connection is a connector, which you can 'intercept' without cutting tracks, but I've never played with the DX6 so I'm not sure.
If you want to give this a shot, and document the procedure for other DX6 users, I'd be willing to support you, but no guarantees!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:49 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Oh boy, I had a good excuse to NOT buy more stuff until now...

If you look on the "Spektrumizing a JR6102 with a DX6 Radio" thread, the first post shows that there are just 3 wires going from the main radio to the 2.4GHz transmitter: Power, Ground, and PPM. I could see EASILY intercepting the PPM line and put in a switch to go through the TrackR1 or bypass the TrackR1.

So, if I recall correctly, the Spektrum (JR) trainer cord is just a stereo headphone type jack, carrying power, ground and PPM (am I right?). If this is the case, finding the right components should be a piece of cake.

Grr...and I don't even have the VR goggles yet...I'm not sure if I can get this one past the wife.

If this setup works, it should work on any JR radio that uses the same radio connection. It won't work on the dx7 and upcoming JR 9103X (dx9?), though, since those go straight to the dsm2 signal without going to PPM first. It would probably work with the new Spektrum modules too.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRC

You can do it much cheaper than that... Just purchase a Hitec Tx RF Module from ebay for $29, make a simple PCB with the 0.1" pins that the RF Module plugs in to, add power, and a 72MHz/40MHz/35MHz antenna, and hook the TrackR1 into it.
On the plane end use a standard PPM Rx.

Voila, completely independent from the main Tx.

Of course, the same module can be used with an external antenna to fly FPV from the car, just connect it to the buddy box connector of the Tx, and to a modified CB Radio magnetic mount.

Man, and just as I had a great new fancy, complicated and costly exercise in futility you just totally rain on my parade. Geeze. Now I'll have to do something simple. Man, what's a Mad Scientist to do?...<sigh> Now where is that 75MHz. Futaba module..ah, and that RC tank, yeah, there we are and, oh yes and that full auto propane powered M9 airsoft machine-pistol? And let's not forget the High-Res night-vision camera and 200mw. Vid TX I just got. Here kitty kitty.....

Thanks man.

Camship
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship