HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:27 PM
Joined Dec 2006
374 Posts
Discussion
Researching options

I'm not new to R/C, and have flown helis for years but I'm new to multi rotor. I'm reading as much as I can, and starting to get excited, but was hoping to throw out just a few questions to speed the process slightly.

I'm lost on sizing. Are there size categories like with regular helis? For instance - .30, .60, .90, or 450, 550, 600 etc? I have no clue whats considered small, medium, or large, and how to tell which is which.

Have any frame designs been found to be better than others?

Quad vs Hex - which, and why?

Better to build or buy RTF? Looking for a larger unit with lot's of bang for the buck. Don't mind a kit, or bare frame build. Ive seen some $3000 to $10,000 RTF craft that look great but that isn't going to happen for me!
Wmacky is offline Find More Posts by Wmacky
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2014, 07:40 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
1,494 Posts
Keep reading and be sure to watch the videos.
Sizes seem to be, micro = less than 150mm, mini = 200 to 280, then 330, 450 and larger.

Its always better to build since it is much richer learning experience and you'll then be easier able to make repairs and modifications to suite your needs. If you have built Helis then building a quad will be easy. You just need to learn about setting up and tuning the flight controller.

I recommend starting with either a 220-250 size X frame or H frame. These can be flown lots of places and really are fun. This size is a good basis for proximity FPV or Arco.
Or if you would rather have a stable camera platform then start with a 450 size.

Either way keep the first one simple and light weight and a quad. You will crash.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Jul 08, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltr View Post
Keep reading and be sure to watch the videos.
Sizes seem to be, micro = less than 150mm, mini = 200 to 280, then 330, 450 and larger.

Its always better to build since it is much richer learning experience and you'll then be easier able to make repairs and modifications to suite your needs. If you have built Helis then building a quad will be easy. You just need to learn about setting up and tuning the flight controller.

I recommend starting with either a 220-250 size X frame or H frame. These can be flown lots of places and really are fun. This size is a good basis for proximity FPV or Arco.
Or if you would rather have a stable camera platform then start with a 450 size.

Either way keep the first one simple and light weight and a quad. You will crash.
Ok, what is 450mm? rotor to rotor distance?
Wmacky is offline Find More Posts by Wmacky
Old Jul 09, 2014, 08:12 AM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
1,494 Posts
Multi-rotor size is measured from motor center to motor center on two opposite motors.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr