USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
Discussion
Boscam 5.8Ghz 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set from Hobby king

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying the

Boscam 5.8Ghz 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html

from hobby king. Don't. It's junk and a waste of money.

As it ships you might get 20' range. Even with good antenna's you might get 50'.

Yeah that's pretty useless for FPV. Don't bother with it. Sick of buying junk and getting screwed by these companies and there's really no recourse.

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:03 AM
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
Not good - sorry to hear.

I purchased the equivalent set (I think) from Hobby Wireless, except the receiver is the R5800X:

http://hobbywireless.com/58-ghz-syst...and-p-726.html

I replaced the whip antennas with the Immersion Spironets (V2) and have gotten over 1700ft so far.

Maybe you got a bad component. Any pictures of your setup on the aircraft ? SMA vs. RP-SMA could cause probs too ...
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Jun 21, 2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:28 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
not here to troubleshoot. just here to tell people not to waste there money.

out of the box its a nitemare to figure out the channels setup. the info in the manual is wrong.

once you get them matched up, as I said out of the box 20'. with good antennas like yours maybe 50'.

I blame hobbyking for selling junk product.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 21, 2014, 02:12 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
997 Posts
I have the same Boscam 5.8Ghz 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set. Changed the antennas for set of IBCrazy antennas (CL and SP)-- 3,500 feet. Did find for best reception the channels on the Tx and Rx didn't match.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird View Post
I have the same Boscam 5.8Ghz 200mw FPV Wireless AV Tx & Rx Set. Changed the antennas for set of IBCrazy antennas (CL and SP)-- 3,500 feet. Did find for best reception the channels on the Tx and Rx didn't match.
Nice!

Do you recall which channels worked the best?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:25 PM
Keepin it real....
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
1,981 Posts
Do you have noise in your video from a bad reg in the vtx?
I get faint chevron lines all through pic... It's 100% the vtx as my setup works fine with the 5v tbs version of this vtx.

Bought 3 of the Vtxs n all show the same noise, Running reg'd filtered 12v from a tbs core.
NutBag is offline Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:04 PM
Joined Dec 2011
138 Posts
that set has been around for years. its pretty much the one all other 5.8 systems are compared against. lots of people fly it well past one km with omnis, someone took one to 20km with high gain directional antennas.

i'll give op that the paper manual for the rx has incorrect dip settings for the different channels. otoh, an overall rating as 'junk' capable of no more than 50'? not so much.
fpvwannabe is offline Find More Posts by fpvwannabe
Last edited by fpvwannabe; Jun 21, 2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:33 PM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
888 Posts
That's the set I started with. Good for half a mile easy with Spironets, more with real antennas. I would bet there is a channel mismatch, or wrong antenna connector type being used by OP.
Scotth72 is online now Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:21 PM
Joined May 2009
3,378 Posts
The quality of construction (electronics fab & assembly) is much better on the Boscam set than the 400mW 2.3/2.4G set I got from RMRC. Surprised to hear of problems with this set, but things do happen.

Hope the OP gets it worked out.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:15 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,006 Posts
Yeah I run about 6 of these 200mW vTx (and the twin 400mW ones too). They are actually an excellent product and a bargain too. The OP is just lost. A newbie that can't build a basic FPV system yet, trolling for response.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 22, 2014, 12:17 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post

As it ships you might get 20' range. Even with good antenna's you might get 50'.

Yeah that's pretty useless for FPV. Don't bother with it. Sick of buying junk and getting screwed by these companies and there's really no recourse.

You messed this up yourself. There is nothign wrong with this equipment and none of the claims you make about it are true. Awfully whiny to come on here slandering this product before you even ask for the help you need to learn how to use it.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 22, 2014, 02:52 AM
Whoa……it flies
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Feb 2007
125 Posts
Well mine is working perfectly (using clover leaf and skew planars) on my FPV maiden.

However I did only get 30m range when the channels were not set correctly. Flipped the 4 VRx dip switches the other way and all is good.

Have not exceeded the range yet, but I haven't pushed more than 500m

FPV maiden (2 min 13 sec)
anewton is offline Find More Posts by anewton
Last edited by anewton; Jun 22, 2014 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 22, 2014, 03:11 AM
Joined Aug 2008
132 Posts
Quote:
out of the box its a nitemare to figure out the channels setup. the info in the manual is wrong.
if it is a nightmare to figure out the right channels, then you are in the wrong hobby...
_Sibi_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sibi_
Old Jun 22, 2014, 06:46 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,784 Posts
Quote:

That's a shame.

I've used that same set since starting out in FPV over 2 years ago and have gone out to 3.5klm's on mine.

You may have got a dud one but I'm sure hundreds of folks have used this set with good results.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jun 22, 2014, 05:32 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Nice!

Do you recall which channels worked the best?
I setup the TX on the back porch--carried my Rx and monitor to a hill about 500 yds away. Keeping trying different channels until I received the best reception. Sounds unconventional but it worked.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird