Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:13 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2013
67 Posts
Great photo RogerDH!

MO - any chance you could clear up the motor direction confusion that has been going on for a few days?
CeeJayCee is offline Find More Posts by CeeJayCee
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:52 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,181 Posts
STANDARDS - You got to luv 'em; there so many to choose from!

The title says it all. It is confusing to say the least. I don't know what everyone's take on the motor direction is.

If my historical info is correct, I think the RC planes came before any of the helicopters and Quadcopters. Plane guys always speak of the orientation from the cockpit view. They look at the motor and the prop in that orientation.

But when the helicopters and Quads came to the market, people found it convenient to describe the direction from the top down view, which is just the opposite of the plane view.

While some pilots have a plane background, they still continue to speak one way, many new pilots came into the hobby bypassing that step and got straight into helicopters or quads. So now, which way did you mean?

I think the only solution is to add a comment when you talk about motor/prop spinning direction. You would say, the prop is turning CW (from top down), or the motor is CCW (looking from behind the motor), or something like that. Clumsy, I admit. But what else could you really do?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
United Kingdom, Maidstone
Joined Jul 2013
297 Posts
http://www.banggood.com/HD-808-No_18...4-p-86784.html

new camera on banggood. banggood don't do mobius but maybe this is nearly as good!?
Mike_Harris is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Harris
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:50 PM
United Kingdom, Maidstone
Joined Jul 2013
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzo View Post
my V262 yesterday afternoon and thanks to all the info posted in this thread I refrained from taking it out and blasting up to the stratosphere.

First up was removing a bit of excess weight and then breaking in the motors. I just did a dry break-in but I cleaned and lube’d everything so hopefully it will give me a few extra flights for my troubles.

Also I grabbed a hoten-x cover, I haven’t wired up the lights yet but for 8 bucks I think it looks pretty cool.
where did you buy the hoton x cover. gotta get one of these!!
Mike_Harris is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Harris
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,778 Posts
So here's the way I do orientation. For me prop rotation is the direction the prop has to spin in order to provide thrust AWAY from you while you're looking at the prop. Motor rotation is the direction the shaft\brass gear spins when you're looking directly at the spinning shaft.

It's quite simple now with a geared setup. Since the motor is upside down and spinning in the opposite direction of the prop, those two negatives cancel out each other. A CW spinning prop on a gear-driven WL Toys quad (and those whose motor pinion faces down) spins in the same direction, CW. Same goes for CCW

Other quads such as the HJ-998 where the motor is upside down (pinion facing up), I believe the prop and motor directions would be opposite.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks, I just wanted confirmation that WLToys designates a motor is CW or CCW using the "standard" reference point of looking at it from the output shaft end.

EDIT: Just to summarize, that means that for the V262 looking from the top, left front and right rear are CW motors, and the other two are CCW.
RogerDH is offline Find More Posts by RogerDH
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:49 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDH View Post
Thanks, I just wanted confirmation that WLToys designates a motor is CW or CCW using the "standard" reference point of looking at it from the output shaft end.

EDIT: Just to summarize, that means that for the V262 looking from the top, left front and right rear are CW motors, and the other two are CCW.
Yep, this is how I would describe them when selling parts.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2013, 02:51 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,181 Posts
Yep, no disagreement from me, gents. I think the Quad community favors this TOP view referencing. But just be warned that when you order other plane props and use them on your Quads, for instance, ordering GWS props for mini Quads, you might be in for a surprise, because the plane community looks at them from a different angle.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
What is a controlled landing?
United States, WI, Sun Prairie
Joined Feb 2013
671 Posts
We used to say "shaft end" or "lead end" when we had to designate rotation when ordering 120v motors for RTU's air conditioners and furnaces. I know that doesn't help clarify bit I am bored and felt like typing
bebeep89 is offline Find More Posts by bebeep89
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Maybe it's too simplistic, but I would suspect that WL Toys would designate the motors as CW or CCW based upon the prop rotation as seen from above the quad (regardless of the gear) because most consumers would probably just look at the props. This approach results in the rotation MO stated.
Has anyone had an opportunity to "open up" the replacement motors to see if they are actually different inside?
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:58 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2013
67 Posts
Great, thanks everyone for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
Has anyone had an opportunity to "open up" the replacement motors to see if they are actually different inside?
Just what I was about to ask. I need to order more motors, but does it actually matter what I order (can I just reverse the leads)?
CeeJayCee is offline Find More Posts by CeeJayCee
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:02 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJayCee View Post
Great, thanks everyone for the clarification.

Just what I was about to ask. I need to order more motors, but does it actually matter what I order (can I just reverse the leads)?
And to add more trouble, I am quiet sure that BG motors are in pratice the same Hope I am wrong
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2013
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
And to add more trouble, I am quiet sure that BG motors are in pratice the same Hope I am wrong
Only time will tell... or my shipped package that on its way with 2 CW and CCW motors
Matthew O is offline Find More Posts by Matthew O
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:15 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
3,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew O View Post
Only time will tell... or my shipped package that on its way with 2 CW and CCW motors
I received 2 x 4 last week .... but don't want to sacrifice one ....

I am thinking, that, with a very low voltage battery ( 0.1V for example) in order to make spinning very slowly the motor, we should notice an slightly higher impedence when the motor is spinning in the wrong sens ?
SeByDocKy is offline Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Sep 11, 2013, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,778 Posts
I don't know if I've already mentioned it, but I flew my V262 very aggressively (it's too damn fun!!) so that may have contributed to the early motor death.
RCG Plus Member