HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2014, 04:03 PM
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
1,820 Posts
Hello everybody.
Can you suggest possible reasons for battery drain at OFF state?
My little cam was working OK until I opened it up, disconnected the internal battery and hooked an external 500mAh cell.

I noticed that the cell got depleted just by being left connected, even with cam off.

Upon measuring current drawn (from battery, not from USB) at OFF state, bingo, 90mA!
This is way too much of course. Cam still works fine and current while ON/recording are somewhat normal according to the definive thread (I get +100mA on all measurements, probably because I'm using video out: 280mA when ON and 400-450mA when recording).

So, ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: tried removing SD card. Same draw at OFF: 93mA. Also, the board doesn't look damaged AFAIK, and no water has ever gotten in...
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Last edited by cmavr8; Mar 20, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 03:28 AM
Deutschland, BW, Pforzheim
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Hello,

I'm using this camera as a webcam for live video streaming of a birds nest (see http://www.ustream.tv/channel/amselnest1-2014/theater).

Have a look at the stream. The aspect ratio isn't correct. The resolution of the camera is 320x240, but it looks like a squeezed together 16:9 format. In Windows I can only choose between three resolutions 320x240, 640x480 (both squeezed) and 1280x720 (too big for a reliable transmission)

My stream's resolution is 426x240. Is it somehow possible to get custom resolutions in the 808 camera?

Second question: When using the camera as a webcam, there is no sound. Is it somehow possible to activate the microfone?

With kind regards,
Leo
leo2k is offline Find More Posts by leo2k
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:23 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2k View Post
Hello,

I'm using this camera as a webcam for live video streaming of a birds nest (see http://www.ustream.tv/channel/amselnest1-2014/theater).

Have a look at the stream. The aspect ratio isn't correct. The resolution of the camera is 320x240, but it looks like a squeezed together 16:9 format. In Windows I can only choose between three resolutions 320x240, 640x480 (both squeezed) and 1280x720 (too big for a reliable transmission)

My stream's resolution is 426x240. Is it somehow possible to get custom resolutions in the 808 camera?

Second question: When using the camera as a webcam, there is no sound. Is it somehow possible to activate the microfone?

With kind regards,
Leo
Sorry, but "No" to both of your questions. I clicked your link, but only got a static image, not streaming, and it looked to have proper 16:9 aspect ratio. Is this what happens when you use the 1280x720 web cam output (frozen frame)? Did you try to lower the frame rate in your web cam program in the 1280x720 mode to see if it will lower the data rate enough to allow it to stream?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:22 PM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,126 Posts
Well it finally arrived. Will check it out tomorrow.

Might fiddle with the colour settings later.

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:26 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
fwiw, I had a streaming image and the aspect ratio appeared to be normal but it's pretty hard to tell without a decent reference.
zrobbie is online now Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Mar 21, 2014, 02:20 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Hello,

With kind regards,
Leo
after fighting off all the persistend advertising,
I got a very dark picture which looked static, then I noticed occasional flicker, then a dark bird on a dark nest in a very dark corner moved its head slightly.

As far as I could see, things looked sort of ok, but obviously taken under what is effectively no light conditions - which is exactly the conditions for which a CMOS camer is not designed for, it is designed for bright light conditions.

You might get something better if you removed the InfraRed filter from the lens, and added an InfraRed LED..
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:31 AM
Deutschland, BW, Pforzheim
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
after fighting off all the persistend advertising,
I got a very dark picture which looked static, then I noticed occasional flicker, then a dark bird on a dark nest in a very dark corner moved its head slightly.

As far as I could see, things looked sort of ok, but obviously taken under what is effectively no light conditions - which is exactly the conditions for which a CMOS camer is not designed for, it is designed for bright light conditions.

You might get something better if you removed the InfraRed filter from the lens, and added an InfraRed LED..
Mike
Sorry for all the ads, but somehow such a service needs to be financed (the pro version would cost me several hundred dollars a month).
I know this camera is not exactly the best technology for such an application. Actually ther IS a IR light, otherwise you wouldn't see anything. Through daylight the picture is quite good (but only 426x240 pixel).

In the meantime I figured something out: The camera reports (if it even reports anything) the wrong pixel dimension. Since it is a 16:9 format in a 4:3 resolution, the software needs so strech the pixels to something like 1.3:1 (rough estimation). I figured out how to accomplish that in ustream software. You need to set up your "working area" to 320x240, then it stretches the video to the desired output format.

It's too bad the internal microfone doesn't work in webcam mode. Therefor I've added a cheap analog microfone with a second wire to the nest.

I don't plan to remove the IR filter from the camera since I also want to use it in my multicopter after the birds have left the nest. Right now I'm happy how it all works :-)

Best regards,
Leo
leo2k is offline Find More Posts by leo2k
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:52 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for all the ads, but somehow such a service needs to be financed
undedrstood
Quote:
(the pro version would cost me several hundred dollars a month).
I know this camera is not exactly the best technology for such an application. Actually ther IS a IR light, otherwise you wouldn't see anything. Through daylight the picture is quite good (but only 426x240 pixel).
------
It's too bad the internal microfone doesn't work in webcam mode. Therefor I've added a cheap analog microfone with a second wire to the nest.
I suspect the developer used a stock library subroutine & devoted their time to other aspects of the camera
Quote:
I don't plan to remove the IR filter from the camera since I also want to use it in my multicopter after the birds have left the nest. Right now I'm happy how it all works :-)

Best regards,
Leo
you could buy a spare lens/sensor modeule...
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:22 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
Charging indicator

When I plug my camera into the supplied charging lead I don't get the expected green LED indication. What I get is :

With the camera switched off (no lights) I plug in the USB cable I get
Single green flash followed by several red flashes then a solid yellow.
The light stays on for hours.
I'm running the latest firmware.
I get the same result whether I power the camera from a mains adaptor , my PC or a power supply
On a 5V power supply the camera is drawing 270 mA
I believe the battery is getting charged but I'm puzzled by the display which does not conform to what I was expecting from the instructions.
Can anyone shed any light on whats going on

Edit

I discovered that in order to get a green light one has to fiddle with the buttons after plugging in. Unless ive missed something that isn't mentioned in the instructions. Im still not sure what combination of presses got the green light up.

Thanks

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Last edited by Terry Rigden; Mar 22, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:05 PM
Team Warpsquad!!!
Joined Oct 2013
1,384 Posts
So question mark. Is there a good way to be able to hardwire the camera to a tx? I am going for a superlight camera setup for a hobbyking mini x brushed quad. Thanks
Btnewman is offline Find More Posts by Btnewman
Old Mar 22, 2014, 08:57 PM
Germany, BY, WÜ
Joined Jun 2005
150 Posts
Hello guys,

One quick question: my 808 #16 v3 came with an audio-out-cable.
Does this mean I can use it for fpv-audio-transmission now?

Please don`t tell me I should have been using the "search"-function, `cause I really was!

Thanks in advance.
manhill is online now Find More Posts by manhill
Last edited by manhill; Mar 22, 2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhill View Post
Hello guys,

One quick question: my 808 #16 v3 came with an audio-out-cable.
Does this mean I can use it for fpv-audio-transmission now?

Please don`t tell me I should have been using the "search"-function, `cause I really was!

Thanks in advance.
No. Audio out is only active when playing back recorded video from the camera.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:03 PM
Germany, BY, WÜ
Joined Jun 2005
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
No. Audio out is only active when playing back recorded video from the camera.
Thanks a lot, Tom!
manhill is online now Find More Posts by manhill
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
When I plug my camera into the supplied charging lead I don't get the expected green LED indication. What I get is :

With the camera switched off (no lights) I plug in the USB cable I get
Single green flash followed by several red flashes then a solid yellow.
The light stays on for hours.
I'm running the latest firmware.
I get the same result whether I power the camera from a mains adaptor , my PC or a power supply
On a 5V power supply the camera is drawing 270 mA
I believe the battery is getting charged but I'm puzzled by the display which does not conform to what I was expecting from the instructions.
Can anyone shed any light on whats going on

Edit

I discovered that in order to get a green light one has to fiddle with the buttons after plugging in. Unless ive missed something that isn't mentioned in the instructions. Im still not sure what combination of presses got the green light up.

Thanks

Terry
If either the yellow or red LED are on you most likely won't be able to see the green LED because it's darker than the other two. If you only want to charge the battery, then just turn off the camera and you'll see the green LED. When the battery is fully charged the green LED will turn off.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:06 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
327 Posts
I finally put together a video from a flying trip to France in 2012. Apart from the moon which was shot with my Samsung, and the stills from my phone, all was shot with an HD key cam 16 with a 0.67 Deal Extreme wide lense. (The new Deal Extreme 0.67 is rubbish by the way.)
My paragliding vids have been appreciated before and I'm posting partly to show what can be done with these tiny little cameras.

I've got 3 or 4 different mini DV cams, but this 16 and my 16 with the D lense are still just about the best.
Paragliding in France, June 2012. HD 720 Key Chain cam video (8 min 40 sec)

(A better quality upload is here on Vimeo too.
Paragliding in France, June 2012. HD 720 Key Chain cam video (8 min 39 sec)
)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman