Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2014, 08:41 AM
Joined Dec 2013
6 Posts
I was having a think about various landing gear types, and the rigid ones are really a no-no for my project, so i started looking at different alternatives.

Anyone here have RC cars as well as multicopters? I am looking at oil filled shockers on a simple cantilever set up, 4 individual legs that could help protect some of the equipment (FPV) on a hard landing. Has anyone seen this done?

http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/sto..._Set_4PC_.html

Cheap enough for the application, i think
Slimer RC is offline Find More Posts by Slimer RC
Last edited by Slimer RC; Jan 09, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:45 PM
Joined Mar 2014
37 Posts
Wow Slimer, this was my first idea for landing gear and i decided to look around and see if anyone had done it, and here i am at the last page to date on this thread and i find your comment! I have 4 oil shocks from my 1/10th SC truck. I think it will work great with the cantilever system you are talking about. High five for being on the same page!

My only concern is weight but my quad has enough lift so i expect it will be fine.
mlowe is offline Find More Posts by mlowe
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:49 PM
Joined Mar 2014
37 Posts
I am using shocks similar in length to these:
http://hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/sto...and_A2031.html
mlowe is offline Find More Posts by mlowe
Old Apr 02, 2014, 10:03 PM
Crasher extraordinaire
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Feb 2014
35 Posts
Homemade carbon

I made these last night. They are 10 layers of 5oz carbon cloth and epoxy. The last set was 7 layers and broke on a 10' fall to one corner. The runners are made from .404 arrow shaft. There is also two smaller tubes inside to reinforce the arch attachment. The runners were sliced to fit the arch, then CA'd in place and a large fillet added.
Toymakr000 is offline Find More Posts by Toymakr000
Old Apr 02, 2014, 10:58 PM
I'm Tri'n,you Tri'n?
United States, WA, Pullman
Joined Sep 2013
387 Posts
GIANT zip ties are great for landing gear, the bounce is awesome and no damage to your Tri or quad. you can see them in this picture.

Name: newbuild2.jpg
Views: 66
Size: 724.7 KB
Description:
Baddmove is offline Find More Posts by Baddmove
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:55 PM
Joined Oct 2013
85 Posts
Aluminum Skids

anarchomm is offline Find More Posts by anarchomm
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined May 2013
21 Posts
Simple LG made from Carbon Fiber arrow shafts (cut to length) and ping-pong balls purchased from Walmart. The arrow shafts come with a threaded insert for the tips which I was able to use to screw it onto a 25mm tube clamp as shown. I had to buy longer screws at the hardware store and drill the clamp hole out a little larger.
_TickTock_ is offline Find More Posts by _TickTock_
Old Apr 11, 2014, 07:10 AM
Joined May 2013
21 Posts
delete
_TickTock_ is offline Find More Posts by _TickTock_
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:15 PM
Team WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _TickTock_ View Post
Simple LG made from Carbon Fiber arrow shafts (cut to length) and ping-pong balls purchased from Walmart. The arrow shafts come with a threaded insert for the tips which I was able to use to screw it onto a 25mm tube clamp as shown. I had to buy longer screws at the hardware store and drill the clamp hole out a little larger.
That looks like a lightweight and solid solution, TickTock. Do you have any issues with the tube clamps rotating because the legs are mounted asymmetrically? Also, what model octocopter frame is that? Looks quite substantial.
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm