HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:59 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
Gallery
Maxford Nieuport 28

Just maiden the plane yesterday. Flies ok, stock thrust angle(right and down) is not quit enough for this one, needed more right and down thrust. Power is from an Actro 32-5 on 6S5000, swinging a JXF 18X6 with CC ICE 100 ESC (max ground current is 52 amp). The plane took off at 1/2 throttle and never need more that on the whole flight. Aileron control is a bit sluggish but rudder is powerful. Wind was a bit strong (8-10 mph) so will try again later.

The guestimation of the AUW is about 13 lbs.

The power module (cowling, motor, ESC, battery) is removable to gain access to the battery.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:46 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
Great looking plane and info , I was thinking of getting one of these , also going eletric .
secondly , i just want you to know that all of us on the east coast dislike you because of your flyinng field , that is just tooooooo nice my friend !!!!!:0
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:54 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
Yeah and we don't have the white powdery stuff on the ground either! Ours come down wet and clear!! I would like to fly off real grass instead of the fake grass!

Re the kit, the hardware that came with the kit is not the best, matter of fact, I would not call it good but they do came with all the part you needed to finish the plane if you don't mind using 2nd rate stuff. I had to replace a lot of them.

Brian, an EAJ
Old Dec 26, 2010, 07:32 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,779 Posts
Thanks for the info , how is the fit of the parts ect ?
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:40 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
Most parts fit well, the only part that required some "adjustment " was the wing joiners. They fitted tight, normally it is not an issue. The Nieuport wing is removable as a unit (upper and lower wing halves together, a plywood jig to hold the wings as if they are on the plane). That fit need to be loose to be able to remove/install the two halves. I have to sand the tubes in the wings to make installation /removal easier without damaging the wings.

Brian, an EAJ
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:31 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
I flew the planes 4 times last weekend. Everything went well except I broke the wheel covers! The wheels are cut out of dense foam and two plywood disks with vacuum formed ABS covers the foam to form the wheels. They looks great but since there isn't any spring action on the L/G, the wheels took all the landing shock. The foam deformed but the plywood with the abs covers did not, so they crack into many pieces. The foam wheel still good but looks terrible. I have ordered some William's Bro wheels from Horizon Hobby, I will see if those will help.

ALso the wheel axle wires are pretty soft, bends easily, but that might have saved the plane from breaking!!

The plane performs well with the power setup on tread #1. Realistic low speed flights, no flying it at mach 1. Take off rolls with full power, the plane lifts off about 60 feet. Since the plane is draggy, need full power(reduced since the battery is lower at 22V or so) to bring the plane to land. First landing was short when it drops faster than I expected. It landed before I can get it to speed up to stretch the approach, but it did reach the runway!

Brian, an EAJ
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:51 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Anymore tips on the plane? I just got one on order.
Got any video shot of it?
thx
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old May 12, 2013, 09:48 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
I know I am late to the party, can you explain how the power unit pulls out and locks in?
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old May 12, 2013, 10:11 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
The motor was designed to be adjustable for different length of engine. So it can be slide in and out the box in the fuselage. I just put every thing on the motor box. Add a bulkhead to carry the cowling and mounted a tray in the back to hold the battery. Once the motor is in place and adjusted to the correct location, I then drill two 1/8" holes and insert two length of 1/8" piano wires through the outer and inner box to lock it in place. There is a power cutoff switch in the cowling to interrupt power to the ESC. Also a connector built in the bulkhead for the ESC signal to the rx. I can put up more photos if you like.

Brian, an EAJ
Old May 13, 2013, 07:14 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Brian,

Pictures would be great! I wont this plane but hate locking batteries inside the plane without access.

Bryan
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2013, 09:24 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,579 Posts
Here are some photos.....

in the first photo, the locking pins are partially pulled down to show the end of the pins.

Brian, an EAJ
Old May 14, 2013, 08:01 PM
Member 120mph Club
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Thanks, that makes more sense!
RCG Plus Member