Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,820 Posts
Gary,

If you need more power than 16/50, Dan at MEGA will take your orders for 16/55 , 16/60 , 16/65 , and 16/70

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Yesterday at 05:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Switzer,

The Habu nose nose door has been done by many, in just as many ways.

While the "bungy" method is by far the easiest and least weight and expence. it's loose it's elasticity oover a year. (I store mine with the nose door open to relieve the tension on the bungy. Replaceing the bungy every 6 months will keep it taught. This of course is in hot dry CA temps.

I finally put a servo drive on the 12s Habu. (complete door closure reliabily is a must for speed runs)

The Carbon nose door we supply now comes withnylon pin hinges, offset hinges and 3 bungy cords. You have your choice of how to set it up.

The bungy works with either the stock struts or with Tams struts (need to epoxy a carbon rod to the strut for use with tams.

The servo drive will work with either.

Here's some pics of the the servo driven door. The same door was previuosly mounted as the "bungy" version.

The servo drive was added after the first few flights, so I simply glued the servo in place with RTV silcone on the bottom, and Epoxy at the corners. It's vibration resistant. yet rigidly mounted. plastic or wood mtg blocks would work as well
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Gary,

If you need more power than 16/50, Dan at MEGA will take your orders for 16/55 , 16/60 , 16/65 , and 16/70

Gryphon
Nice R. ! always love new "high power" stuff.

I'll get with ya a bit later.
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Gary, I think one of these would do nicely with a bit of adaptation and a stock exit diameter so it doesn't have any back pressure, Stock inlets would feed it nicely and give you 10.5lbs thrust at a bit over 300mph efflux. I've tested in a fuse w/stock ducting, its awsome! Am going to get some real time numbers for a stock fuse on 12s and later re test with modded intakes! Approx 82% efficient on 12s so we're looking at 62+k rpm on a CS 12b 70mm
Question: does AS or anyone make better ducting for these?
I haven't read your high powered 70 threads recently. Do you have some of the fans flying? I think I may have seen one video.. (or was it knife? LOL)
Site Sponsor
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Here's the "bungy/nylonhinge" version.

The last 2 pics are shown with an added carbon bar, for using the bungy version with tams struts.
Site Sponsor
Old Today, 12:47 AM
Joined Aug 2009
8,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
Gary
early in the race thread we installed the ice100 in the stock location and had a couple esc's pop on us, we quickly figured out that the tailcone is the best location in the bu32
Gary I dont remember the name I gave you?.......I hope it wasn't bad
speaking of not remembering I know you had a top spot in one of the catagories but not a mach fan I thought it was a 9s 150mph something and a shubler setup so I left it out
just smack talkin

this is how we got our name
http://youtu.be/Qnc03Wgqj7s

and Gary I can appreciate Goose's excitment, I really can but seriously shouldn't you have at least one doppler entry before you turn all that Krazy talk loose on us
http://youtu.be/v_0rzbee_qc

cant wait to see some real speed Gary.... get that bu ready.........Nick and I are just hobbyists having fun.

Hey John,
Sorry for the late reply. Been one of those days.

ESC's don't pop at startup, just because there in the stock location. What from previous "over temp" runs? I doubt it.
The CC 160HV never saw the rated amps, nor did the temp exceed 111*F
Were to put the ESC is one of those "Deans vs bullets" controverses. I don't feel that the ESC should be in the hot air flow behind the motor, and far less, being tucked into a tailcone that confines much of that air. I find a way to place the ESC where it gets intake air.
This almost always saves one from extending the battery wires and creating the need for added capacitors to reduce the ripple current. To each his own.

The "Habu Burners" Name....
OH, ha ha. I never saw that video.
I feel your pain. Here's one of my early (couple of years ago) 150mph E-flite/Mega 8s setups...
I lost orientation during the turn at the far, far, too far south end of the runway after a fast pass. The LAFD got a chance to get out for some "practice"

The name you gave our team......
Well...(ha ha) I think it was "efflux Tactical Crew" or "efflux 'tac crew" for short. ("ETC" ) (LOL) I have a very good memory, and do remember thee exact words. But just havin some fun here. I think we may use it!!

OK, "nuf of the fun. Speaking of getting excited, yeah Goose and some others get exited. I get exited, you get excited, It's all good, but I can only speak for myself.
Fun times smack talk is difficult for me, because I'm running an EDf business. and don't want a newcomer to the thread, to get the wrong idea. I surely can join in the smack talk with the best of ya.

BTW; I gotten more than my share of heavy duty smack talk from T over the years.
Nice thing is well all get along and have a good time at events.

You and Nick "just hobbyists, having fun"....
Hmm aren't you Tams right hand man (after James). You are certainly the voice of "T" (save for the "tamlish" ) since he's not been posting for some time now.
Do you still work, building, balancing and testing fans for him?
You are definatley not just a hobbyist. "I consider you to be in the manufactures class. where did that class come from. Holy cow. There are waaay too many classes for that race.

For the sake of discussion, one of the top spots that you asked about in the "early" contest, was the Shubie DS-44 powered, 7 cell version that Bob built for me with my parts, and flew. I think it was 159mph. (averaged)The video is on my you tube channel.
There were other versions as well, they just were not entered. I don't thin I officially enter anything myself (due to my boycott...LOL)
Not to mention (OK, mention) our 161mph, 10s Mach powered Habu that still flies over two years later.

I did'nt see your post of tams "world fastest" video. The one with the questionable doppler. Were there other videos? How many flights did that bird make? Were is it now?

Cell phone photos below are from a couple years ago.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by efflux RC; Today at 01:06 AM.
Old Today, 10:17 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
The stock ducting is pretty good
CN, my only personal experience is with; must have been a very first version to hit the US cause its not only a reclaimed wreck but the actual glass work is pretty bad and the ducts have a 1/4 to 3/8 gap at the inner join seam. An interior burn black and crispy job too boot. I think the resulting crash ejected the guts, framing and all with only two cracks on the exterior nose, perhaps the batts slid back some how spreading the ducts apart and molding them that way after a quenching , they look like they should be together etc.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Today, 01:00 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efflux RC View Post
Hey John,
Sorry for the late reply. Been one of those days.

ESC's don't pop at startup, just because there in the stock location. What from previous "over temp" runs? I doubt it. ya I never said they did. I was just saying we saw high temps from the factory location and over many flights and hard flying we lost a few ice100's then we moved them to the tailcone and witnessed 30-40deg temp drops. if you saw your temps drop that much would you not be convinced?

The CC 160HV never saw the rated amps, nor did the temp exceed 111*F
Were to put the ESC is one of those "Deans vs bullets" controverses. I don't feel that the ESC should be in the hot air flow behind the motor, and far less, being tucked into a tailcone that confines much of that air. I find a way to place the ESC where it gets intake air.
This almost always saves one from extending the battery wires and creating the need for added capacitors to reduce the ripple current. To each his own.
I agree if your talking about old school tailcones. Tams tailcones are engineered to add more surface area to the motor for heat dissipation and catch and direct efflux thru the tailcone to keep esc's and motors cool. (believe me when I tell you there's no hot air behind the motor), better cg management for higher power setups, fire containment protection should an esc decide to let go(yes it still can happen), damage from this to the model is greatly minimized....... should I keep going?.............lower motor and esc temps means more power from your edf.......isnt that whats important?

The "Habu Burners" Name....
OH, ha ha. I never saw that video.
I feel your pain. Here's one of my early (couple of years ago) 150mph E-flite/Mega 8s setups...
I lost orientation during the turn at the far, far, too far south end of the runway after a fast pass. The LAFD got a chance to get out for some "practice"
ya we have had to call the local fire dept a couple times good thing for us there is nothing to catch on fire really just weeds and brush....depending on time of year. they look at as practice for the crews.
HabuBurners!!!

The name you gave our team......
Well...(ha ha) I think it was "efflux Tactical Crew" or "efflux 'tac crew" for short. ("ETC" ) (LOL) I have a very good memory, and do remember thee exact words. But just havin some fun here. I think we may use it!!

I truely do not remember that..lol!! getting old sucks

OK, "nuf of the fun. Speaking of getting excited, yeah Goose and some others get exited. I get exited, you get excited, It's all good, but I can only speak for myself.
Fun times smack talk is difficult for me, because I'm running an EDf business. and don't want a newcomer to the thread, to get the wrong idea. I surely can join in the smack talk with the best of ya.

BTW; I gotten more than my share of heavy duty smack talk from T over the years.
Nice thing is well all get along and have a good time at events.

You and Nick "just hobbyists, having fun"....
Hmm aren't you Tams right hand man (after James). You are certainly the voice of "T" (save for the "tamlish" ) since he's not been posting for some time now.
Do you still work, building, balancing and testing fans for him?
You are definatley not just a hobbyist. "I consider you to be in the manufactures class. where did that class come from. Holy cow. There are waaay too many classes for that race.
Tam is busy on a project and he is fishing a lot I hear. so I havent been helping out much lately. I was helping Nick go fast with his Habu and Habu32 long before we met Tam.......in fact I met Tam cause he was impressed with our speed video's and wanted to come out and fly with us.....which he did and the rest is history as they say

For the sake of discussion, one of the top spots that you asked about in the "early" contest, was the Shubie DS-44 powered, 7 cell version that Bob built for me with my parts, and flew. I think it was 159mph. (averaged)The video is on my you tube channel.
There were other versions as well, they just were not entered. I don't thin I officially enter anything myself (due to my boycott...LOL)
Not to mention (OK, mention) our 161mph, 10s Mach powered Habu that still flies over two years later.
better late than never
the 10s Mach bu32 is still flying. why not make some speed runs with it and at least get in some practice in for the big boy 12s

I did'nt see your post of tams "world fastest" video. The one with the questionable doppler. Were there other videos? How many flights did that bird make? Were is it now?

that was Nicks first 12s TJ80 Habu32 8.25lbs and the fastest run was 172mph avg and Tam was at 173.1mph we were nipping at his heels lol!!! and then we had "THE RUN" the one with the 212 pass in it, but the doppler was faint due to now what we know was the camera's fault. my new Sony is producing great vid and excellent doppler traces. anyway that Habu32 was lost the next weekend due to a locked up main wheel on takeoff.

Cell phone photos below are from a couple years ago.
the new and current 12s TJ80Habu32 is more powerfull and lighter at 7lbs 15oz's
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Today, 02:15 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,566 Posts
Light weight won't help when diving is allowed gary's Flys great at its weight. I don't even know what it weighs but it flies sweet
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut