New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by roballoba, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 05:33 AM
gezatoth is offline
Find More Posts by gezatoth
Registered User
Joined Aug 2015
1 Posts
Close call..


I have used my IMAX B6 charger to charge a brand new Walkera Runner 250 battery. I could not finish charging the battery so i have disconnected from mains and left it on a table. I have also disconnected from the big connector but NOT from the balance port. Next morning i found a smelly room at my workplace and the message that fire brigade was there over night to put our some small fire/smoke.

Leaving the battery connected to charger via balance port cause this fire or there was some problem with the battery itself?

By the way i think it was sitting on my table for many hours before it happened, at least 12 hours or so.

gezatoth is offline Find More Posts by gezatoth
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2015, 05:40 AM
abenn is offline
Find More Posts by abenn
Registered User
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Leaving the battery connected has caused it to discharge through the charger. This has either damaged the charger, causing smoke and/or fire, or caused the LiPo to puff and smoke/flame due to over-discharging.

Never leave a battery connected, by any of its leads, to a charger or electronic device after use. Most RC electronics don't have on/off switches and, even if they do (like some ESCs), they only put the device on standby, so they still draw a very small current and will eventually discharge the battery.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:07 AM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,048 Posts
So what did the battery look like?

Did you disconnect banana leads from charger leaving them in battery main connector?

Never been a report of a battery 'venting with flames' from slow discharging.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2015, 02:43 AM
rpage53 is offline
Find More Posts by rpage53
rpage53's Avatar
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,406 Posts
In all likelihood the OP left a brand new and potentially defective battery charging overnight and unattended. I hope we all know by now how very bad a practice that is.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Triton temp. sensor prevent Lipo fires?? duganderson Batteries and Chargers 27 Aug 27, 2014 06:26 AM
How Prevalent Are Lipo Fires? DLC Batteries and Chargers 32 Sep 27, 2009 09:46 PM
Lipo Test are in tallflyer Parkflyers 0 Aug 26, 2003 12:09 PM
Question How Lipo's are rated electron_head Batteries and Chargers 6 Jun 30, 2003 08:58 PM
UK E Zoners are real people.... tim hooper Electric Plane Talk 13 May 01, 2001 10:00 PM