New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by freddy_fo
United States, UT, Richfield
Joined Sep 2014
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
Do you still hold this opinion? I don't need a calm day plane; its always windy at our hill-top club.

Late reply but been a while since I put this bird in the air. Plane flies fantastic in the wind as much as when calm IMO.

Took it out this morning with my 3200 mah e-flite batteries, 15mph /w gusts and landing with our without stabilization was spectacular if I do say so myself. Fortunately I can land in any direction I want so I can always land into a head-wind. Unfortunately the wind direction today forced me to make approaches over the power lines so I have to come in high to clear. No problem with 1/2 flaps and modulating the elevator/throttle.

I am very happy with the .15 motor, bigger prop and heavier battery because I have all the power I need to get out of sticky situations.

Now that I have cg sorted ~70mm and all of the weight removed from the nose it is becoming a favorite.

Even with all the wind and 2 laps of extreme throttle management (accidentally flipped the stabilization into 3d mode which sucks big time) I still had 3.90 on all cells after 8 minutes of flight.

One more thing about the tail-wheel: I stuffed the receiving hole for the tiller shaft on the rudder with epoxy after getting a healthy amount of CA in there to soak into and harden the wood. Wheel is still rock solid and this is after several hard landings in the gravel.
freddy_fo is online now Find More Posts by freddy_fo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by davidrd
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
202 Posts
After following this discussion for awhile, I decided that instead of turning the Pacer into the man cave queen, I would try going the gyro route to see if there was hope for this beautiful, but ground loopy, bouncy bird. I decided on the Orange RX3 v3 with built in 6ch receiver. For $25 its worth a try. I am encouraged by what others have experienced by putting a gyro in this airplane.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by Cocg
Fly and let Fly!
United States, CO, Grand Junction
Joined May 2010
3,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
After following this discussion for awhile, I decided that instead of turning the Pacer into the man cave queen, I would try going the gyro route to see if there was hope for this beautiful, but ground loopy, bouncy bird. I decided on the Orange RX3 v3 with built in 6ch receiver. For $25 its worth a try. I am encouraged by what others have experienced by putting a gyro in this airplane.
Will be curious to read your thoughts with the gyro.. I have always been attracted to this plane myself, but have been more disturbed and deterred of the fitment and warpage issues..
Cocg is online now Find More Posts by Cocg
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by shastamike
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrd View Post
LemonRX also makes a great 6ch. stab. wouldn't fly without one. See the thread here on RCG. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2164243
I also had bad problems with ground looping, even with the Stab. What worked for me was that the tail wheel was a bit off. The plane on runway would roll to right with throttle off. On landing I would over correct for this and that caused the tail wheel to loose traction and loop even worse. I straightened the tail wheel and found that if I land slow as possible I could get a straight run out without the loop.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Aug 23, 2015, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by FrankSteffens
United States, NY, Ronkonkoma
Joined Jun 2012
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1 View Post
Do you still hold this opinion? I don't need a calm day plane; its always windy at our hill-top club.

I'm sorry, I just saw your post.

The Pacer and I have reconciled. While it is a BEAUTIFUL plane in calm winds, it gets slapped around in anything over 7mph or so. It also likes to ground loop on paved runways... And burying the throttle just to get it up is begging for it to snap out on me. That said, I will still continue to enjoy it, but only off a grass field on a calm day.

It is the first plane that my daughter watched me fly, so it'll always have a special place in my heart. She's rather fond of it also.
FrankSteffens is offline Find More Posts by FrankSteffens
Old Aug 23, 2015, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by ell198679
Joined Nov 2013
52 Posts
This plane is a great flier love it, it is gorgeous. Cratered mine when the elevator clevis came lose, after some snap rolls and prior crash. Bought a new kit, think I am gonna leave it posted in my garage. It had a defective rudder its a great static model as well. :-\
ell198679 is offline Find More Posts by ell198679
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:24 AM
Joined Jun 2010
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ell198679 View Post
This plane is a great flier love it, it is gorgeous. Cratered mine when the elevator clevis came lose, after some snap rolls and prior crash. Bought a new kit, think I am gonna leave it posted in my garage. It had a defective rudder its a great static model as well. :-\
Weird about the elevator clevis. On a pre-flight check yesterday I noticed the "fuel tubing" ring that helps secure the clevis had split and was barely holding on. I flew anyway, but that might have done me in if I hadn't noticed.
and let me guess...the "defective rudder" on your model was because it was smashed in shipping? HH sent me two models that had broken rudders until I finally specified that they not ship FedEX and please double box the model.
MIke
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:39 PM
Joined Nov 2013
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Weird about the elevator clevis. On a pre-flight check yesterday I noticed the "fuel tubing" ring that helps secure the clevis had split and was barely holding on. I flew anyway, but that might have done me in if I hadn't noticed.
and let me guess...the "defective rudder" on your model was because it was smashed in shipping? HH sent me two models that had broken rudders until I finally specified that they not ship FedEX and please double box the model.
MIke
Its a great model, but the parts do not fit. I had to drill the control horn holes for them to fit,as well as the servo arms. They fit well but perhaps, not well enough. I wouldn't be surprised if it was damaged in shipping. Since, the wings also were damaged. Unfortunately, I had assembled the model by the time I realized how badly the flight characteristics were and noticed the bow in the rudder. The bow is slight but its affects aren't.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:04 AM
Joined Jun 2010
3,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ell198679 View Post
Its a great model, but the parts do not fit. I had to drill the control horn holes for them to fit,as well as the servo arms. They fit well but perhaps, not well enough. I wouldn't be surprised if it was damaged in shipping. Since, the wings also were damaged. Unfortunately, I had assembled the model by the time I realized how badly the flight characteristics were and noticed the bow in the rudder. The bow is slight but its affects aren't.
That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear. Unfortunately there are so many problems with this plane. I'm lucky that mine worked out. I'm not real happy about the way it flys. It flys OK, but it's not fun to fly. Good thing it's shiny and red.
Mike
Old Aug 25, 2015, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2013
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear. Unfortunately there are so many problems with this plane. I'm lucky that mine worked out. I'm not real happy about the way it flys. It flys OK, but it's not fun to fly. Good thing it's shiny and red.
Mike
Its a hit or miss. The first one was fun to fly. My second model, rolls over like the second hand on a clock. Even, with full throws 125% and plenty of aileron deflection.