New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
1,205 Posts
The Flying Stallion - UM P-51D Mustang

After watching the movie Red Tails, I decided to pick up a UM P-51D Mustang to add to my collection. As I already have the UM P-40 Warhawk and the UMX F4-U Corsair in my hangar, as well as a brand new in box UM Spitfire Mk IX on her way from a Seller in Oregon, I had to complete my Ultramicro Warbird collection.

Out of the box impressions, this is a solidly well built Ultramicro with great detailing, even including a pilot figure. If there is only one thing that I had concerns with her were the flimsy landing gears that seemed to be much flimsier than the UM Warhawk and UMX Corsair. It was most likely due to the longer length of the wire. Aside from this, I verified that all of the control surfaces were centered properly from the factory (which is a first for me) and the Ultramicro Mustang was ready for her maiden flight.

Winds at David Lorenz Park were fairly mild with a 3-4 mph wind occasionally blowing over the AstroTurf field. Initial impressions of this plane... wow. This plane flies like she was meant to be up in the skies. Having a great ROG Takeoff, she had no issues with lift and tracks very well in the air.. much more forgiving than my UM P-40 Warhawk which feels like I'm flying a much heavier plane (or my grandfather's Buick). Rolls were effortless, Loops were executed well with some increased throttle speed. She performs Hammerhead Stalls smoothly and flies Inverted with just a touch of Down Elevator. Immelmans are easily accomplished as she loops and rolls out to level with moderate stick input. She flies like an angel.

After my 5 minute flight, my timer chimed on my DX6 letting me know that I should start my Landing Procedures, I set up my Landing Approach facing the wind and was able to perform a light 3-Point Landing as I was dumbfounded with her predictability. I thought to myself, "let me try that again." I went back around 3 more times for an impromptu Landing Practice only to find myself executing consecutive feather-light touchdowns with just a touch of flare before touchdown. I love landing this plane just as much as flying her!

Now to be honest, I was never thrilled or excited to be flying a P-51D Mustang, nor was I a fan of her looks. But after her impressive flying and landing performance, I cannot help but have a grin on my face as I pull out that Turnigy Nano-Tech 1S 200mAh 35-70C Lipo and set her up for another after a 3-minute motor cooldown. Overall, I'm very impressed with this plane. I love my UMX Corsair for her 1S aerobatics and my UM P-40 Warhawk is great for just cruising around with excellent presence and landing fun, but this UM Mustang has caught my attention for her overall excellent stats. I love this plane!

Now I'm just waiting on my NIB UM Spitfire Mk IX to arrive and my Ultramicro Warbird collection will be complete!
Blaze0021 is online now Find More Posts by Blaze0021
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2015, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
1,205 Posts
Parkzone UM P-51D Mustang Flight - Windsurfing Stallion

Best viewed in Fullscreen and HD! A windsurfing flight with my Parkzone Ultramicro P-51D Mustang w/ AS3X. I can't say anything but good things about this plane, she just flies incredibly well, even for a 1S Ultramicro in fair winds. Its as if she was just born to fly. Probably the best overall flyer in the Ultramicro Warbird Series.

Parkzone UM P-51D Mustang Flight - Windsurfing Stallion (5 min 21 sec)

A big thank you to Mike F, aka "Deuces Wild" for getting this video footage on his iPhone 6.

Thanks for watching and please hit the Like Button if you enjoyed the video!
Blaze0021 is online now Find More Posts by Blaze0021