New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by Tsheets
United States, NV, Gardnerville
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Discussion
My V977

I love the Heli...I'd like it more if I could fly it.

Instead of having my 977 story spread out across multiple threads I'll try to put it all here.

Ordered it in Feb. from BG. received it about a week and a half ago.

First flights were typical, all 6G flying. I couldn't even figure out how to toggle between 3D and 6G. That was all user error. The hover debug button must be held down until it accepts the command and beeps 3 times. 3D button is momentary, a quick push and release of the button enables the 3D toggle switch on the upper left. I'll let the pro's take it from there...you can see how easily I got confused

Day one was spent learning to fly CP. I came to the axiom that flybar is like holding a pail of water from the handle and letting it hang down. It can swing and tilt, but gravity wants to settle it neutral. Collective pitch is like balancing that pail of water on your head. It takes practice, but soon you'll be carrying that pail around like a tribal kid fetching water. 3D is like...I have no idea
On one of my outdoor flights I landed hard (ok, I crashed) and one of the swashplate to blade grip connectors broke. I fashioned a replacement out of two 911 linkages back to back. It worked great, but I still replaced it with the OE one when it arrived two days later.

Day two, first main shaft gear got spit out somewhere over my back property. I'd noticed it kept slipping down which allows the main shaft to move up in the bearings as thrust deflection is maintained with the thrust collar below the swashplate and the conical face on the top of the main drive gear as they mate to their respective inner bearing races. Any vertical movement of the shaft effectively shortens the servo linkages reducing the up pitch input. The bearings are open style. This allows their balls to get dirty and we all know that letting your balls get dirty is not good!
On about my 3rd main shaft gear I decided to create a fix. I installed a #80 threaded stud in the shaft end and used a nut and washer to hold the gear in place.
Day 3 I had some great flights. My balls were clean and my nut was holding my shaft up

Day 4-6 cold and windy. Practiced hovering in the house where I could keep my balls clean and warm
Day 7...spring has sprung, I venture outside. I have some great flights then I broke my tail, but my nut and balls were OK.

Day 8. New tail...a few good flights and I lost the CF tail fin. I fashioned a temp out of a piece of plastic.
Iimited flight time my CNC swashplate separated so I put the OE plastic one in.

Day 9. Heli was having a hard time getting up. Motor sounded like it was under load. Inspection found shaft was binding in bearings...MY BALLS GOT DIRTY
A thorough cleaning seemed to remedy the problem.

Day 10. Shaft bound again. Further inspection found seized bearing. My balls failed me I fashioned a fix using a 911 bearing (yes, the ID is 0.5mm larger).
Tried to fly and Heli would randomly start to spin 360s ("Goose, we"re in a flat spin, it's not good!")
I had a decent flight going and then when it was up 150ft or so it spun about 800 degrees and went down wind. I couldn't save the flight so I shut it off and let it fall to earth before it got further away. It took me 24 hours to find it.
Yesterday and today. I've rebuilt the tail, bearings and polished the shaft for smooth swashplate operation. I verified the rotating group spins freely. Any attempt to lift off results in spinning uncontrollably.
I believe its the main shaft gear. The nut only keeps it from moving vertically on the shaft. A blade strike can still shear the little flat that rests on the flat of the shaft...I don't like this design. I don't have any more spares so I can't prove it's the problem. I ordered spares, but I didn't think I'd need so many!
Here's some pics in random order. I've worked on this little Heli so much I could have built a Bell Ranger! I've worked on Garret turbines before out of real helis and this is more frustrating.
I have more gears scheduled to be here in a few days. I will update you.

Tim
Tsheets is online now Find More Posts by Tsheets
Last edited by Tsheets; Apr 12, 2015 at 05:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Using a V911 bearing in a V977:
The V911 shaft is 3mm while the V977 is 2.5mm.

I have some clear heat shrink that just fits over the 2.5 mm 977 shaft. When shrunk the OD is a perfect 3.0 mm. The ODs of the outer races are the same...I believe they're 6.0 mm.

I don't know if the bearings I have are upgrades, but they're sealed units...no dirty balls! However, I don't know how the heat shrink will hold up. As long as the bearing spins freely there shouldn't be any heat to damage it. I have replacement 977 bearings ordered, but I may see how long this repair lasts for future info.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 05:45 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
I received my new 977 in the mail today. I just had time to take the box out of the package and put the box in my heli bin.
Going to dinner at the in laws tonight so no flight time today.

It will be nice to have a bench mark to compare my "Possessed" original heli.

I'm going to take the main gear off the new one and see if that fixes the problem on the old one. I think that's the main gremlin now.

T
Old Apr 14, 2015, 02:03 AM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
So I've got everything ready to go and chomping at the bit...the wind is howling. As a matter of fact it just blew the door open!

I guess it's back to hovering around the house
Old Apr 14, 2015, 03:49 AM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Wow...I put the new gear in the old 977 and no go. I tried to hover indoors, but it's still flakey. I mean the yaw control is not stable. It will take off, but as soon as I give it any inputs it will start to spin and I have to abort the flight.

I grabbed the new 977 and put a new battery in. As soon as I throttled up I could hear the difference. It must have spun up 1,000 more RPM head speed at least. My breof flight (family is sleeping) was completely predictable. I'm still smiling!

I have a new motor, receiver, bearings and tail assembly ordered. Next I'll need to replace sub components one at a time. I will contact Bangood too and depending on what I find I will either fix it or try to exchange it. I really thought it was the main sprocket. I guess my next challenge is to figure out the yaw issue. I thought the sprocket was slipping and therefore causing the tail rotor control to be unable to synch on a moving target. My next guess would be the tail itself; it could be the tail/rotor system or the control board? The apparent low main motor RPM could be creating a control input problem? Perhaps my bearing bandaid is not working?
This could be interesting.
I'm so hooked now from the good 977 flights that I'll do anything to keep one in the air!
I hope my spare parts get here by the time the wind dies down. I really don't want to fly the new one. It's pristine! Plus I need to figure out why the first one is no longer flight worthy. If I can't I'm no RC hobbyist!

The fact it has flown correctly before tells me it's likely something that got damaged during my learning...or something degrading like the failing bearings? ...ah hell I'm no closer than I was. At least I have a reference now.

Edit: Hover Debug works! It never worked on the old one. Every time I would set it, it lacked enough up to lift off and if you did get off the ground (usually trimming the up input to almost all the way up) it would fly backwards and to the right until trimmed out. I figured it required advanced calibration.
A flight minutes ago after setting Hover Debug was steady as a rock. It almost went straight up and stayed there without corrections for minutes.
Tim
Last edited by Tsheets; Apr 14, 2015 at 04:14 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
check the pinion on the motor maybe it came loose and its slipping on the motor shaft . I had one come loose just enough to hold for a take off but i would get low response from throttle.
3D Ambitions is offline Find More Posts by 3D Ambitions
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:08 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
ŁWell I'm losing my desire to keep chasing my tail. Yesterday I received a replacement canopy that was smashed and split open in shipping.

This morning I put a battery in the new 977 and after about 30 seconds of indoor hovering the pinion was no longer meshing with the main gear. Turns out one of the motor mounting screws is stripped out. You can see where they applied CA glue or something to hold The screw and motor in place.
Edit: it's not stripped the screw is broken

So out of the hundreds of hours and hrundeds of dollars spent I now have two V977 paper weights.

On top of that I used up a lot of the beautiful spring weather trying to figure out what's going on.

I pretty much used up my free time and need to get back to projects.
I'm pretty disappointed in the whole V977 ordeal. I wish I never would have bought one.
The two pictures show the broken canopy and the motor mount screw with glue on it and how far it is from the main gear.
Last edited by Tsheets; Apr 15, 2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Its part of the hobby , you're going to crash so you're going to break things. you sure you didn't smack the heli blades hard some where , those motor bolts don't "break that easy. I've slammed my v977 's into hard pavement and asphalt but i have never had so many things break as you have on your's. Sorry about the bad run you've had with this bird. try and get it warrantied.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 01:30 AM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Ambitions View Post
Its part of the hobby , you're going to crash so you're going to break things. you sure you didn't smack the heli blades hard some where , those motor bolts don't "break that easy. I've slammed my v977 's into hard pavement and asphalt but i have never had so many things break as you have on your's. Sorry about the bad run you've had with this bird. try and get it warrantied.
These two parts have never flown! I don't mind the hobby, but this is junk...poor QA and poor shipping practices. The Heli I've been learning on has had some hard bumps and I didn't mind when I started replacing parts I broke.
The Heli with the broken motor mount is brand new. I just received it yesterday and have barely had it out of the box. It was staying untouched so I have a benchmark. I took it out of the box last night and spun it up in the house to compare to my other 977. I hovered about 20 seconds to verify it functioned. This morning I worked on the old one with no luck so I put a battery back in the new one and the blades started to rotate and then quit. The tail rotor and main motor kept spinning. I shut it off flipped it upside down and found the gears weren't meshing. I figured the screw was loose, but what I found was the head was sheared off and somebody had glued it into place!
THATS 100% CRAP!
The last WL product I will buy.
The canopy was just bad shipping practice. instead of a box they wrapped it and put it in a plastic envelope. Who knows what sat on top of it on its way here?

I understand that this is a 10:1 work:flight hobby. I've been around RCs since they used rubber bands to power escapements. No I wasn't with Tesla when he made the first RC boat.

I've worked on some of the worlds most sophisticated systems in the field and in a world class production facility in which I was one of the lead managing engineers that helped design and build the 100 million dollar facility where we have multiple surface mount assembly lines, a full machine shop, anodize line, R&D labs and on and on. One of my close friends corrected early problems with the space shuttle main engine fuel supply (more turbins). Another went to "the company" for awhile and helped design and teach pilots how to fly the first predator drones. We have one of the most technical and largest companies in the world, today and it has been ever since the beginning of the Dow.( I wasn't there with Edison either, but I sure know his work.)

Ever since I placed my order for the 977 it's been crap. It took Bangood almost 40 days to ship it to me and by the time I got the hang of it I ran out of spare parts inventory. If I could only find one of those main shaft gears that got spit out in my back feild.

When I start getting garbage out of the postal package I need to be smart enough to not keep buying garbage.
Right now I'd like to shove it up someone's
Old Apr 16, 2015, 01:31 AM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
More pics of broken screw

Edit: The new Heli didn't come direct from WL so who knows if somebody else messed with it. Same with the canopy. I forgot who I ordered them from, but they are both ebay vendors and I paid with PayPal so it will get resolved. I opened an EBay case today.

I do have a lot of heartache over the 977 main gear design and the open bearings. In my opinion those are flawed designs and they have given me a lot of grief.

The other items were UPGRADES. I think my latest yaw problem was the brand new tail motor. I pulled the pinion off of a V911 main motor and wired it in reverse polarity. I made a new blade with a 911 blade and some heavy duty gaf tape. It still has wires hanging and heat shrink just hanging in place and not shrunk yet, but I had some excellent hovering tests in the den.

It looks like hell though. The canopy is taped together. The main gear held on with a nut and washer. The boom is a short piece of 977 boom with some 911 boom extending it. My bearing fix is working well too. It just frustrates me to buy parts and find out they're trash.

The canopy I trashed learning to fly, but everything else should either be a new replacement, but the replacement failed...oh yeah, the CNCD rotor head failed as did the Swashplate. They're sending me new ones so I'm not going to say their name if they stand behind their products.
Last edited by Tsheets; Apr 16, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 10:59 AM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
You know you can order the from the US direct bang good website , the have some replacement parts for the v977, thats where i ordered both my v977's from got them in less then a week. I just checked the site and their warehouse seems to have run out out of the v977 but they still carry the parts they have gears and the shipping is fast , they're having a 50% off sale right now on specific parts, you can get a canopy for 3.30 shipped with the discount from the us right now. Their cupon code is ushothttp://us.banggood.com/collection-81...m_content=xuxu
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:15 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Quote:
You know you can order the from the US direct bang good website , the have some replacement parts for the v977, thats where i ordered both my v977's from got them in less then a week. I just checked the site and their warehouse seems to have run out out of the v977 but they still carry the parts they have gears and the shipping is fast , they're having a 50% off sale right now on specific parts, you can get a canopy for 3.30 shipped with the discount from the us right now. Their cupon code is ushothttp://us.banggood.com/collection-81...m_content=xuxu
yeah, it's great when they have stock. They don't have any 977 motors.
Well I got the old 977 flying. It seems to fly well, but it looks like hell. It's also got a lot of bandaid fixes that make me a little nervous. The new still sits. The vendor is paying for a new motor so I guess that's ok. I just wanted an unmolested pristine unit to have on the shelf as a reference.

The V911 main motor as V977 tail motor works really well. I just had to reverse polarity and build a custom rotor blade.

I didn't have much time to fly today so I can't say the fix truly works yet, but indoors it hovers rock solid.

I'm gonna order some canopies right now

I've also had some luck with Newegg. If they have what you're looking for they can even expedite shipping. I always thought of them as computer stuff and have used them for years to acquire hard drives and such.
Last edited by Tsheets; Apr 17, 2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
I'm still wIting for parts to put my first V977 back to 100% flight status and trying to leave the new one unmolested. I've only borrowed the main sprocket off of it.

I've found that while they are finicky and sometimes problematic...they are also easy to keep flying with an array of household parts as spares.

I've used a V911 main motor as a tail motor, a V913 tail boom brace as a tail boom, fashioned a tail rotor from a V911 rotor, some paper and contact cement and a tail fin from an old cell phone case. (Flight of the Phoenix!)

I threw a 1watt light kit together and turned it into a search and rescue drone
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Mcgyver of helicopter repair lol
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Joined Feb 2015
69 Posts
Quote:
Mcgyver of helicopter repair lol
I just got back from the park. Best flying I've ever had! That 5 minute epoxy is great stuff

I found one of the only trees around trying to adjust my trim in flight...I got a little too sure I could still maneuver it broke my 913 tail brace out of the chassis. I just glued it in the feild. Later while flying about 30ft over my head I saw the tail rotor fly off I just spiraled down and made a semi soft landing on the grass.

I almost left, but put my last battery in and the wind came up. I got a little down wind and starting having yaw problems. Then I saw the power lines so I went for the throttle thinking I could fly it back to me...I'm pretty sure the battery ran out of juice as I couldn't climb back up to make it back to the park. I watched it disappear over a row of houses. I drove over and found a haggle of kids, probably 8-12 years old. I had the new 977 with me to show them what I was looking for. I told them $20 to whomever finds itDing Ding. I bought them some ice creams too.

In between that was pure flight fun. I flew the 913 a little during cool down periods. It's still cutting out on me. I may chage the motor...it's hard to get excited about flybar flight after flying the CP.